Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

Love this.

Indulging some Lovecraft high weirdness. It's the movie version of The Call of Cthulhu, a silent, black and white movie, done some years back (2005), directed by Andrew Lehman, using the cinematic technology of Myth-o-Scope. This movie is really cool, probably the only fairly faithful movie version of a Lovecraft story.

It has incidental music and intertitles, just like any self respecting movie from 1915. I love this movie, saw it at a festival a while back and had to buy a copy from the film maker who had a table by the door. It's violent, ax-in-the-head stuff, with slanted and surreal camera angles, insane maniacs and "pagan savages". It's all also HP Lovecraft, not cleaned-up for contemporary sensibilities.

Not exactly a movie, but very cinematic, from the old vintage Outer Limits series -

Tonight's Outer Limits episode, from the infamous/famous season 2 - The Demon With a Glass Hand - This one is strange beyond strange, said to be in the top 100 TV episodes of all time. Adapted from Harlan Ellison, it's been said to be the inspiration for The Terminator, although that is much more true of another TOL episode, Soldier. In this one a guy with no past (Robert Culp) has a glass hand, missing fingers, that contains the entire human race, encrypted to save them from a planetary holocaust.

It's all set in a stark, unpopulated urban desert, a German Expressionist fantasy world with dark eyed goons in pursuit. This one is seriously off the rails and completely bonkers, with invisible portals, minimalist production, a missing 70 billion humans and stark shadows.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon_with_a_Glass_Hand