Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Off-topic (sorry) - but I just wanted to try and rank all the Marvel films I've seen so far from best to worst :

Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers : Endgame
Captain America : The Winter Soldier
Avengers : Infinity War
Thor : Ragnarok
The Avengers
Captain America : Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Iron Man
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Doctor Strange
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Iron Man 2
Ant-Man
Iron Man 3
Avengers : Age of Ultron
Spider-Man : Homecoming
Thor
Black Widow
The Incredible Hulk
Spider-Man : Far From Home
Captain America : The First Avenger

Eternals
Thor : The Dark World

That's a big list.

I still haven't seen the ones in blue, but I would rank the ones in red much higher than where you ranked them, especially the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies. They're some of my favorite MCU movies.

I forgot the opening line.
I still haven't seen the ones in blue, but I would rank the ones in red much higher than where you ranked them, especially the Tom Holland Spider-Man movies. They're some of my favorite MCU movies.
I have a kind of bias against Spider-Man, and I have absolutely no clue as to why that is. I did love that Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse animated film and I still have high hopes for No Way Home, so I'm hoping I turn all of that around.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I have a kind of bias against Spider-Man, and I have absolutely no clue as to why that is. I did love that Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse animated film and I still have high hopes for No Way Home, so I'm hoping I turn all of that around.

I liked the Tobey Maguire movies, but I thought he was too wimpy in them. The Andrew Garfield movies weren't very good, but I thought he was great as Spider-Man.

IMO, Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man, and No Way Home is my favorite of all of the Spider-Man movies.

It was interesting watching Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse after seeing No Way Home because there are a lot of similarities in the stories. I didn't expect to like Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse as much as I did, but they're both great movies.

The last movie I saw was "Get Out" released in 2017.

I loved the way it kept me on the edge of my seat and also how it was remarkably easy to understand and follow being from the Philippines and watching an English film, would recommend,

9/10

Victim of The Night

By http://www.impawards.com/2021/shangc...ings_ver2.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=67440841

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings - (2021)

I don't think @Wooley is going to like this short review. I came into Shang-Chi and etc not very enthused. For one thing, it's another origin story in a series of films which seem to be mostly origin stories. I know Marvel might be restocking the pantry, but I'm pretty much over them. Another thing is the fact that the whole martial arts sub-genre isn't a favourite of mine (I only rate Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 7/10, which sends some people into shock.) Plus Wooley told me it was about on par with Black Widow, which wasn't very exciting. But you know - expectations again - it helps when they're lowered. There were parts of Shang-Chi I really liked in the end. It's not a Marvel great or anything, but it has some of those special Marvel moments that make it the amazing series it is. First of all though - the screenplay is awful. The dialogue sounds like it was written with the aid of fortune cookies. "Remember your ancestors - your strength comes from them" - "Be like the wind, and as strong as an ox." - "Always follow the path your heart..." well, you get the kind of thing. Cheap and dumb inspirational quotes - dime store wisdom, and many cringe-worthy lines.

Where I depart from my esteemed fellow MoFo's opinions though are with the design of the creatures at the end of the film - I thought they tied into the whole Asian culture feel of the film, and looked magnificent. The soul sucker and the dragon almost had me gasping - and the action was pretty tight. I admit that there are a few face-palm worthy moments (the archery bit especially) but I enjoyed that part of the film the most. In fact, the action all 'round was pretty good, and the underlying story was serviceable enough. I did really dislike the return of Trevor Slattery and his awkward comic relief, but I did like all of the other exceptionally well designed fauna that exists in the other dimension. I thought the film had an excellent score as well. I thought Shang-Chi was a step in the right direction after the tepid Spider-Man - Far From Home and Black Widow. Not a great film - and one with many flaws, but as many great and good points as there are bad and awful ones.

I was a little more withering in my letterboxd write-up : "Some great action and effects, but a screenplay that feels like it's been written at the last minute on a 10-minute bus ride to the studio. Perhaps Marvel films are getting a little constrained by their own box-office weight, and it's a little too much too fast, but there are lines and narrative strands that become dumb just through repetition. It looks impressive, and is, but it's not good cinema - just average."

7/10

By http://www.impawards.com/2021/eternals_ver3.html, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=67750433

Enternals - (2021)

And then came this...what a mess. Watching Eternals is like watching a film where someone gave a 3-year-old $1 billion to make a movie, and from there huge-budget chaos reigned. It looks like Marvel wanted Eternals to be the biggest blockbuster yet - it even strains to outdo Infinity War and Endgame, and it constantly has you questioning just how wise it is to just go for excess in the manner they have here. It's an impressive train-wreck of a movie - with a screenplay that feels like it's a very rough draft from an untalented screenwriter. (Four people are credited with writing this film.) Of course, it's once again introducing us to new Marvel superheroes - and unfortunately they're a bunch that are going to overshadow Captain Marvel, because they're basically all immortal Gods.

Okay - I will admit, for immortal Gods they do die and get hurt an awful lot, but their powers are so overwhelming that I just know I'm going to be missing the days when it looked like the odds were stacked against the heroes in these films. The story is of world-ending import, and makes absolutely no sense. I won't give anything away - because it's a spoiler-rich story - but there are so many holes in the plot it just has to sink. Of course, it's also history-altering. I didn't enjoy this, and I'll never be watching it again - a film on about the same level Thor : The Dark World was, competing for the title on my list of worst Marvel movies. It would be interesting to make my list seeing as it's the 26th.

4/10
Well, what can I say, I'm glad for you that your experience with Shang-Chi was better than mine. For me, the third act of that film was basically the end of the MCU for me. I have grinded out the last several Marvel entries since but with almost no enthusiasm (and often leaving angry) and really only because one was Spidey which is usually quite good (and the latest Spidey is almost certainly the best MCU film since Infinity War) and the other two were the follow-ups to two other of the best films in the MCU (Black Panther and Thor: Rangnarok)... but they both stunk on ice. But, everything you say negative about Shang-Chi was true, I just also thought the big, hazy-dark-grainy CGI-only finale was an abomination against film and my sensibilities. But I am truly glad you did not suffer as much as I did.

Now, Eternals.
Let's be honest, it is, by several lengths, the worst film in the MCU.
Such a disappointment. While I thought it looked bad, I had read the comic it was based on, I was enthused by Chloe Zhao's involvement, and a lot of what I heard about artistic choices that were made during production had me a bit abuzz. Then some friends told me they actually walked out of it. That seemed extreme but it did deter me for several months until I finally caved on a Sunday.
I tried to walk out of my own house.
While Thor: The Dark World takes a lot of heat as "The Worst MCU Film" (which I do not agree with, before Phase IV I thought it was easily Iron Man 3 and my best Marvel-loving buddy agrees with me and The Incredible Hulk was no great joy to slog through, either) but Eternals now sits alone at the bottom.

Victim of The Night
Off-topic (sorry) - but I just wanted to try and rank all the Marvel films I've seen so far from best to worst :

Guardians of the Galaxy
Avengers : Endgame
Captain America : The Winter Soldier
Avengers : Infinity War
Thor : Ragnarok
The Avengers
Captain America : Civil War
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Iron Man
Captain Marvel
Black Panther
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Doctor Strange
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
Iron Man 2
Ant-Man
Iron Man 3
Avengers : Age of Ultron
Spider-Man : Homecoming
Thor
Black Widow
The Incredible Hulk
Spider-Man : Far From Home
Captain America : The First Avenger
Eternals
Thor : The Dark World

That's a big list.
Interesting.
I would move CA: tFA up to the bottom of the whatever your top tier is, though I admit it had to grow on me some and Ant-Man and the Wasp down to the top of the bottom tier (that's another MCU movie I will never watch again), Shang-Chi down near the very bottom and, as I mentioned, Eternals would be several steps below T:tDW even though there would be no actual films there. Also, I've never liked Guardians as much as others but probably my expectations were just too high as I was pretty invested in that property.
Also, I rank the Avengers movies thusly:
The Avengers
Captain America: Civil War (it's an Avengers movie)
Infinity War
Endgame
Age Of Ultron

Continuing my trip through Bava's filmography, I watched Hercules in the Haunted World. Italy loved themselves some Hercules as this is one of the 24 movies in the series released between 1957 and 1965. This film chronicles his journey through Hades to rescue his beloved Deianira.

This is a fun sword and sandals movie with a lot of creativity and style. I assume this didn't have a big budget, but with some impressive matte paintings, imaginative set design, and lots of fog machines, it's a really cool-looking movie. You can tell a Bava production by the lighting and I think this is some of his best work.

Being a Hercules movie, there's of course the requisite scenes of him lifting heavy things and tossing them around, which is fun. My favorite part is when he throws a cart and just obliterates a hayloft. I won't spoil it, but how he defeats the villain (played by Christopher Lee) is great.

The story is pretty straightforward, but I like the push-and-pull between Hercules and Theseus. Theseus agrees to help his friend save his beloved, but then Hercules is forced to separate Theseus from the woman he loves. I liked to see Hercules conflicted and not just be able to bench-press his way out of a situation.

Another gem.

The Monster of Camp Sunshine or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Nature (1964) This was a lot of fun. It's an unusual combination of nudist/exploitation and slasher/killer type movies.

Victim of The Night

Who Is Killing The Great Chefs Of Europe?

Someone is murdering the best chefs in Europe. But who and why? And will our star be one of them? This is the mystery.

“The way in which the chefs are killed is one of the movie's many delights: They're cooked into their very own specialties (that makes the movie a double whodunit: Who done it, of course… and then how well were they done?). The murders lead to a twofold horror. A ghastly death awaits the victims, and there is unspeakable humiliation for those chefs who are apparently not great enough to be killed."
- Roger Ebert

This is the wonderful Jacqueline Bissett as the World's greatest dessert chef, Natasha O'Brien, and the very, very funny English stage veteran Robert Morley as London's most esteemed and arrogant food critic, Maximillian Vandeveer, in a very odd murder-mystery/comedy with some slasher tropes thrown in for good measure. I loved it when I was 10. I was crazy about Jacqueline Bissett even before I'd hit puberty. And even though I'm sure many of Morley's dry, rapier-like quips went over my head, I still found him very funny and oddly charming for a complete prick. I think I watched it a dozen times on HBO in, say, 1981. I haven't seen it since then, I have never discovered it streaming, so I finally bought the 2010 DVD release and settled in to revisit it.
To be honest, it’s not that great.
But then again, it’s not that bad either. A bit silly but diverting.
It’s weirdly like a European comedy. You know how they can be kind of silly in a way that American audiences would never accept in a movie that is not just farce. What I didn't realize, because I was 10, 11 years old, was that this movie is what is known as Farce. Once I understood that, I was able to settle in and just enjoy it for what it was.
Roger Ebert liked the film a good bit and was particularly fond of Morley's witticisms, a few of which I will share here:

Doctor: “Would you care to remove your overcoat?”
Vandeveer: “Why, is your diagnosis going to take us through a change of seasons?”

Vandeveer: “Doctor, how long have I got to live.”
Doctor: “That will depend entirely on you.”
Vandeveer: “I’m relieved to learn it will not depend upon YOU.”

Vandeveer: “Don’t tell me another cook’s been murdered. Who is it this time? Aunt Jemima?”

Honestly, some of the dialogue had already made me laugh out loud in my living room just 5 minutes in. Ebert suggested that Morley should be nominated for Best Supporting Actor for this performance.
If the movie has a drawback, it's probably George Segal being really odd and awkward throughout as the Ugly American ex-husband and how some of the more farcical scenes seem to come a bit out of nowhere (like when two chefs have a swordfight with loaves of French bread). There is also something off in the odd attempt to paint Natasha as a liberated woman by having her sleep with everyone she meets. I actually felt, based on the tone of the film, like this was well-intentioned but it ages oddly. Like, in some ways this is the most sexist movie I have seen in 20 years. Absolutely everyone Natasha meets tries to bed her immediately (though you can hardly blame them, it is Jackie Bissett). On the other hand, Natasha’s talent, revered professional-status, and sexual liberation seem like this was some kind of 1976 attempt at an anti-sexist, Liberated statement. Except that she actually faints when in extreme danger. That’s pretty lame. And the fact that Segal, who is clearly the Supporting character, gets top billing. Double lame.

Anyway, this was a fun little revisitation of a favorite from my youth, about as good as I expected it to be which was, frankly, good enough for a 1970s murder-mystery farce.

PS - It was amusing to see Vincent Cassell's father, Jean-Pierre Cassell, walk across a room wearing nothing but an apron. His performance was, shall we say... cheeky?

Take Shelter (2011)

Maybe I will take some heat for this rating, but I didn't feel the same sentiment as others did for this movie. The psychological tension built up rather well, despite not much really happening for the first half of the movie. Then as things ratchet up, it gets a little over the top. Finally, the final shot where the main character may have redemption is short-lived because the movie just ends. I like the cast and the idea, but it just felt underdeveloped so I can't recommend it.

I just got back from watching Knock at the Cabin. Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, Knock at the Cabin is a suspense thriller about a family at a cabin who are told by four strangers that they must make a terrible decision to prevent the end of the world. For me, this is Shyamalan's best film in over 20 years. Knock at the Cabin is a smart, engaging, and effective thriller. It's suspenseful and anchored by great performances from a fantastic cast. I was invested in the characters journeys and fates and was more than satisfied by the end. Best film of the year (so far). My rating is a

Now, Eternals.
Let's be honest, it is, by several lengths, the worst film in the MCU.
Such a disappointment. While I thought it looked bad, I had read the comic it was based on, I was enthused by Chloe Zhao's involvement, and a lot of what I heard about artistic choices that were made during production had me a bit abuzz. Then some friends told me they actually walked out of it. That seemed extreme but it did deter me for several months until I finally caved on a Sunday.
While Thor: The Dark World takes a lot of heat as "The Worst MCU Film" (which I do not agree with, before Phase IV I thought it was easily Iron Man 3 and my best Marvel-loving buddy agrees with me and The Incredible Hulk was no great joy to slog through, either) but Eternals now sits alone at the bottom.
Eternals was a shock. I was displeased with the averageness of Spider-Man : Far From Home and Black Widow, and while I thought Shang-Chi was a step in the right direction, it still didn't reach the level of quality I'd expect for a good MCU film. But Eternals was excruciating. It felt like an insult. When it came time to rate MCU films, I found it hard to pick a loser between The Dark World and Eternals, but I could easily have gone for the latter, and over time it might end up on the absolute bottom of the pile, if it's not there already.

By https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-no-wa...daredevil-mcu/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=69217407

Spider-Man : No Way Home - (2021)

Well, it took Thor until his third film to really get to a place where I thought things were really enjoyable, and for Spider-Man it was the same. No Way Home finally delivered on the promise Marvel films hold out due to their sheer entertainment value and narrative skill. It had been a longer wait than normal since Endgame, but this film relieved that pressure valve that had been building inside of me (and was near to bursting after Eternals.) I loved this movie. It manages to take a contemporary theme - "nostalgia" - and use it in a way I haven't seen it used before. It retains the fun, comedic stylings that the Spider-Man films were trying to nurture, but it finally adds some really heavy weight to the character that had been shied away from in the previous two films. This episode has enormous stakes, and takes the character forward in a significant way, with several earth-shaking events and massive changes. It was crazy - in a good way. It also brought back a boxload of performers and performances that I remembered and loved, and nobody let the production down. Bless you Willem Dafoe. Apart from the animated Into the Spider-Verse, this is by far the best Spider-Man film I've ever seen. I'm not a great fan of the character, but I do enjoy Marvel films when they hit such sweet notes and make beautiful music.

8/10

Victim of The Night

By https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-no-wa...daredevil-mcu/, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=69217407

Spider-Man : No Way Home - (2021)

Well, it took Thor until his third film to really get to a place where I thought things were really enjoyable, and for Spider-Man it was the same. No Way Home finally delivered on the promise Marvel films hold out due to their sheer entertainment value and narrative skill. It had been a longer wait than normal since Endgame, but this film relieved that pressure valve that had been building inside of me (and was near to bursting after Eternals.) I loved this movie. It manages to take a contemporary theme - "nostalgia" - and use it in a way I haven't seen it used before. It retains the fun, comedic stylings that the Spider-Man films were trying to nurture, but it finally adds some really heavy weight to the character that had been shied away from in the previous two films. This episode has enormous stakes, and takes the character forward in a significant way, with several earth-shaking events and massive changes. It was crazy - in a good way. It also brought back a boxload of performers and performances that I remembered and loved, and nobody let the production down. Bless you Willem Dafoe. Apart from the animated Into the Spider-Verse, this is by far the best Spider-Man film I've ever seen. I'm not a great fan of the character, but I do enjoy Marvel films when they hit such sweet notes and make beautiful music.

8/10
The woman sitting next to me in the theater starting crying during the final coffee-shop scene and, I won't lie to you, I couldn't help but join her.
And even that first moment when you realize
WARNING: "don't look!" spoilers below
the Spider-Man walking toward you looks a little different in the that costume, coming down that alleyway in that ring-tear, wait, what's going on
... I got chills. One of my favorite movie moments of the last couple of years.
I hate to use this term but, despite a little bit more Marvel mumbo-jumbo than I would have liked at moments, this movie just had so much heart - while also not having a total shit script - I just got overwhelmed by it.
I mean, if you've seen the whole catalogue, the moment when
WARNING: "Eek!" spoilers below
Garfield's Peter Parker/Spider-Man saves Tom Holland's Peter Parker/Spider-Man's great love when he had failed to save his own in his own universe
... Jesus, it almost sounds cheap when I type it but damn does it pay off in the film.
So much heart.

Watched White now & definitely have never seen it. Ninety-two minutes, but seemed much longer.

Finished the trilogy with Red, which, it turns out, I have seen in whole or in part. I liked Blue best of all with Red following close behind.

Good movie though too long. The guy who played Amir as a grown man - Khalid Abdalla - was excellent in this.

Finished the trilogy with Red, which, it turns out, I have seen in whole or in part. I liked Blue best of all with Red following close behind
That's because Blue is the best. It's quite interesting you think that though, as I have a theory that Blue appeals to a European viewer more than a US one and Red vise versa. But this is just based on the last 20 years on the net talking about these films on sites like this.

That's because Blue is the best. It's quite interesting you think that though, as I have a theory that Blue appeals to a European viewer more than a US one and Red vise versa. But this is just based on the last 20 years on the net talking about these films on sites like this.
Interesting since what I read concluded that Red is the best. I just thought that Blue had a nice pace & who doesn’t like Binoche.