Movie Reactors

Tools    

Have ya'll gotten into these videos on YouTube and Patreon? It's crazy people are making income simply from reacting to flicks. Good for them I say.

I get sucked into it when it's someone reacting to one of my favorite flicks. It gives you the same satisfaction as if you recommended a movie to someone and they then enjoyed it. You forget these teenagers and early 20 year olds haven't seen the classics I grew up on. It's fun to see them discover classics.

Anyways what do you think of the phenomenon? I think it's great for the most part. Some of them are extremely obnoxious however, but the ones that actually take their time and watch it and give constructive feedback are fun.

I really enjoy BrandonLikesMovies. He seems genuine about his love for flicks. JamesVsCinema is a young filmmaker. Fun to see his perspective on flicks.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

I'm more of a fan of "essay" style YouTube film discussions--ie videos that focus on a single aspect of a movie as opposed to an overall review of a film.

Some YouTubers I like who talk about film are:

Folding Ideas (I like his conversational approach, and he rarely seems like he is just trying to tear movies down for the sake of it. His long-form essays on the 50 Shades of Gray films are really, really interesting).

Screened (Some of the topics are interesting)

Lindsay Ellis (I think she explains things well, has a distinctive voice, and is like the friend I want to sit with to talk about movies)

Pop Culture Detective (Good explanations of certain trends)

And of course, our old RT friend James

I'm more of a fan of "essay" style YouTube film discussions--ie videos that focus on a single aspect of a movie as opposed to an overall review of a film.

Some YouTubers I like who talk about film are:

Folding Ideas (I like his conversational approach, and he rarely seems like he is just trying to tear movies down for the sake of it. His long-form essays on the 50 Shades of Gray films are really, really interesting).

Screened (Some of the topics are interesting)

Lindsay Ellis (I think she explains things well, has a distinctive voice, and is like the friend I want to sit with to talk about movies)

Pop Culture Detective (Good explanations of certain trends)

And of course, our old RT friend James
I dig that as well. I go through some of those. I really like this one on Pirates. It's not really an essay but he goes through the movie and explains why it's accidentally genius. It's an hour but I enjoy it. It's light.

Here is a question that could maybe pick this back up. Does watching these reactors edit these movies then react to them give you a different perspective on a flick? I say that because I watched Psycho many moons ago, probably before my movie taste really matured. Probably didn't appreciate it like I should. I liked it but was like ok whatever.

It's a popular one during October for obvious reasons as a few people have watched it. I gotta say watching it cut up and people gush over it has cleared the fog from my perspective to really start digging it like I probably first should have. You see why it's so damn iconic. The reactors have also had the opposite effect on some movies like The Green Mile. Sort of took some shine off it for me.

It's interesting what movies have been a popular watch on there and others that haven't. I guess what I am asking if anyone else is into watching people react to these flicks have you had the same thing happen or am I just a weirdo lol