The Videogames Tab

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
This is a different computer! I finally gave up on fixing that supposedly "gaming" rig and dealing with CyberPower PC. So now that expensive computer is downstairs on our rolltop desk, where I use it to pay bills online and do very little else. Ugh.

Strangely enough, a geek friend helped me choose a better computer: a refurbished Dell *business* computer. I added a better video card, more RAM (I have 24GB right now), and crossed my fingers. No BSODs, no issues at ALL, and MUCH faster than the gaming rig ever was.

Oh, and half the price.

And it works without issues with the VR headset and sensors. My only issue is thinking of how to rearrange furniture in my office so that I can have a little more space for VR gaming.
I've had Dell at home and work since starting here back in 2001 without issues. Matter of fact, this latest tablet laptop thingy is an HP and my first departure from the Dell brand. It has its bugs. =\ Something I never experienced from Dell products.

Glad your new pc worked out.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Winston-Salem use to have a Dell...

Yep. Exactly 1... with a dial-up modem

Dell came in, slurped up public money/people quit buying towers and cue the disaster.

Herbalife bought the building cheap, after the fact.

The People's Republic of Clogher
So, I got a good deal on Mortal Kombat 11. Ł15 off list price for the disc.

Early stages so far but it's feeling a lot more like MK9 than MKX, which is a definite positive for me, but there are a couple (kouple?) of glaring negatives already.

It's very much a Big Budget 2019 Video Game, which means random loot boxes dressed up as Krypt containers. You earn a certain amount of the currency (kurrency?) needed to open them from fights but, of course, you can spend your own money to buy more. The Krypts in previous games were kinda like this but they weren't random - If you knew where something you really wanted was, you'd save for it and go straight there. No chance in MK11.

Secondly, the game looks fantastic and has a talented collection of professional voice actors. A talented collection of professional voice actors and Ronda Rousey. Ronda Rousey in one of the main roles.

Grating isn't the word. The word is krap.

Cool! (kool?)
Btw, this is a trash reply. Just wanted the chance to tease. (kease?)

lol.

(kol?)

(kD)

It's a good fighting game, though. I probably didn't make that clear.

I've never liked the mechanics in MK games enough to actually sit down and learn them properly, but I'm having fun in the story mode after dropping the difficulty down a notch. I've never been able to get into a flow with MK like I can in Tekken and Street Fighter.

It's a good fighting game, though. I probably didn't make that clear.

I've never liked the mechanics in MK games enough to actually sit down and learn them properly, but I'm having fun in the story mode after dropping the difficulty down a notch. I've never been able to get into a flow with MK like I can in Tekken and Street Fighter.

I LOVED MK on the arcade. I have a hard time playing it without the full stick controls though. I guess I'm too used to the arcing Street Fighter moves. Am I mistaken ? Last time I tried console MK, controls were tap tap directions and not so much arcing motions.

BLAH!

I wish I could play Virtua Fight. Or Killer Instinct! Those cabinets were BAD-FRIGGIN-ASS as a kid.

You ready? You look ready.
I purchased Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster for Xbox last weekend, and I have been playing about 3-4 hours a week. I forgot just how awesome it was and am glad I didn't beat it the first time around, and I never played X-2 so I have about 200+ hours of play available.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I LOVED MK on the arcade. I have a hard time playing it without the full stick controls though. I guess I'm too used to the arcing Street Fighter moves. Am I mistaken ? Last time I tried console MK, controls were tap tap directions and not so much arcing motions.

BLAH!

I wish I could play Virtua Fight. Or Killer Instinct! Those cabinets were BAD-FRIGGIN-ASS as a kid.

Yep, lots of back/forward and up/down motions. I've tried it with a stick and a Dualshock and it's actually better for me with the gamepad.

The Killer Instinct remake is excellent. It's free on Xbox/PC with the option to buy additional characters.

Welcome to the human race...
I wonder if there's anyone out there who sincerely appreciates Ronda Rousey being cast in MK11.

I beat Story Mode a day after I made my previous posts and, well, it's not bad. I still haven't gotten around to signing up for an online account that allows me to make the most of the remaining 90% of the game, though. I feel like I ought to so as to feel like I got my money's worth on this damn game, but maybe I'll end up cutting my losses and moving on to something else instead since it still feels like a bit of a downgrade from the last couple of games.

I wonder if there's anyone out there who sincerely appreciates Ronda Rousey being cast in MK11.

That person resides in 2015.

...but maybe I'll end up cutting my losses and moving on to something else instead...
What games do you gravitate to? Style and favorites? System preference?

I'm fishing here.

Welcome to the human race...
My main preferences would be FPS and/or RPG games, usually with a sci-fi bent. I don't really have a preference console-wise, though most of my recent gaming has been on either 360 or PS4 (though I have recently acquired a Switch with Breath of the Wild so maybe that will be next at this rate).

It's quite good. I haven't played a single game of all the other battle royale flavor-of-the-months (PUBG, Fornite), but this one's free and seemed to have staying power (and was just better than the others), so I dove in and I've really enjoyed it. There's still a lot of issues with crappy teammates when you play solo, but that's just playing multiplayer online in general, really. It's very well crafted and once you get a sense for how things work (which guns you prefer, etc) it's even more enjoyable.

If anyone wants to dive in I wouldn't mind playing with people new to it, anyway.

there's a frog in my snake oil
What, don't you all know there's a Star Citizen free-fly going on!?

(Do listen to this with the sound, it's marvellous )

I've just installed my first ever SSD, so I was actually toying with prodding the beast for a bit.

But then I saw this unnervingly escalating existential breakdown. (Seriously, stick with it, it's something else ). And I remembered it'd be more painful than funny...

And then this prelude to the inevitable Fyre Festival treatment dropped, and I just read that instead

Exclusive: The Saga Of 'Star Citizen,' A Video Game That Raised $300 Million—But May Never Be Ready To Play

I'm playing a fair bit of Apex: Legends if anyone's into that, wants to team up for a bit. I'm decent. It's also free (though quite good).
I've toyed with it, even went so far as downloading it on PS4 (then deleting the next day).

I think I'm Battle Royale'd out. Bought PUBG on PS4 when it came out, thinking it might relight my fire, but haven't touched it.

Really beginning to enjoy MK11 now. There's a much better flow to combat than I ever managed in MKX but I just hope they manage to alter the way that the Krypt operates - Three types of currency to spend on blind lootboxes? Yikes.