Good movies based on video games?

Tools    

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
the worst adaptation has to be : street fighter (1994)...damn how good that movie could have been had it been done the right way, it was an amazing cast, raul julia as bizon is just a perfectly casted actor for a great villain, shame how this generic film turned out

I would rather watch Street Fighter the 1994 film than 2009's Street Fighter: Legend of Chun Li. Now that was horrible!

Good movies, I still think the gold standard is Mortal Kombat. And now this is a web-series, but they made a 2.5 hour movie of Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist that is really awesome!

Angry Birds was very watchable and also Silent Hill is notable as an example of one good example of a game adaptation people miss.

Probably because it's horror.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I actually like the Max Payne movie even though they left out good story elements from the game, but am I the only one?

I would say the best video game movie ever still is Mortal Kombat and the worst one is Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Does anyone concur?

A lot of people like Silent Hill, and even though it's well filmed for sure, and started off good, I thought that the twist got too ridiculous, but maybe I need to watch it again.

I can remember only first MK and SH movies as pretty good ones.

First Silent Hill wasn’t bad, nor was the first Mortal Kombat. The new Tomb Raider was decent and did also turn a profit.

Welcome to the human race...
I don't particularly agree with this video, but it does make an interesting case for the best videogame adaptation being...Rampage?

the worst adaptation has to be : street fighter (1994)...damn how good that movie could have been had it been done the right way, it was an amazing cast, raul julia as bizon is just a perfectly casted actor for a great villain, shame how this generic film turned out

If you think Street Fighter was bad for game adaption... you should see Uwe Boll's House Of The Dead
Probably the worst movie I've ever seen, let alone game adaption. Even for Boll, this thing is rock bottom.

But as for the OP, I reckon the best ones out there are:
Silent Hill
Mortal Kombat
The Resident Evil movies are popcorn nonsense but fun
The recent Tomb Raider was ok if generic

Hi all, newbie here.
I have always liked Mortal Kombat and the 1st Street Fighter anime as game adaptations.
Silent Hill is fairly good like the Resident evil films.
I would like to see a MGS film with Michael Biehn as Solid Snake.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
This was a fun campy homage to Street Fighter II but also had a scene paying homage to Super Mario Bros. (and Goku from Dragon Ball), the 1993 Hong Kong sci-fi/action/comedy Future Cops

Based on the truth.. and lies.
The first resident evil I thought was kinda good, had some horrory zombie aspects to it the rest I could never get into they were just fantasy/action jarble too me, wish they would have kept the horror element

"That may be, but I've got the Falcon."
I made a review for both RE films. I prefer Apocalypse, and the rest are atrocious (gave up watching after Afterlife, I think).

Original
https://at-the-movies-with-johnny.bl...evil-2002.html

Apocalypse
https://at-the-movies-with-johnny.bl...4/01/test.html

I library'ed Tomb Raider. Alicia looked nice, and speaking as someone who's played the reboot game (I liked it a lot), it felt so unnecessary as a movie. They checked all the boxes from the game, but, unless you don't play games, just play the game. Goofy as they were, I felt the other two Tomb Raiders are more entertaining.