Apocalypse Now: Original or Redux?

Tools    

This is really happening
Now I want to start off by saying that I haven't seen the movie yet (no spoilers please), although I've rented it from Netflix. It came with both the original and the Redux version. So my question is: which version should I watch?

Thanks, MoFo

I agree... watch the original first... and please come back and let us know what you think of it...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

I saw the original many, many years ago. What's the difference? Can you say without giving away the plot?

Think I prefer the original. Without wanting to say too much as you've not watched either, I think the plantation scene in Redux slows the film down too much. I think they did right leaving it out the first time around, but the addition of some of the other scenes is a good thing. I'd like the Redux minus the plantation scene please

Doesn't really matter to me what colour the ducks are

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
This is a tough choice, cause I feel that the best version would be an all new edit altogether. For example, in the original, I don't know if I would say the tiger scene, or the scene with the army could have been cut in the original, but the scenes with the French plantation and the attempted surfing scene being extended should have remained in. I think I like the soldiers hooking up with the models later on, better, than them watching them in an audience.

So I feel that maybe the best version would be one that cuts out some of the original, but leaves in some of Redux.

I saw Redux first actually on TV way back, so when I saw the original later, I kind of felt like a few parts I liked were missing. So it's hard to say which one to watch first.

Doesn't really matter to me what colour the ducks are
There has to be another narrative besides the narrative that we are being given. With the NSA and the wire tapping. And just watch Betty White feed some monster and laugh. We are turning into lepers. I think I drew the line the other day. Seeing Robert De Niro in some stupid movie called the Swap which isn't even listed on IMDB. And he is smoking joints with some blonde made out of torn pages out of the bible. And later on that day I am watching the news and Larry King is interviewing Danny DeVito asking him what his favorite bad thing to do is. And Danny DeVito says, eat ice cream. Are they trying to starve us? I mean I guess I am supposed to like Robert De Niro because of Raging bull. I wonder sometimes if the reason I am not good with the ladies is because of Robert De Niro, because in the Swap he tells that hot blonde that he screws the stupid goldfish story. About goldfish that he used to own and he liked to dump them down the drain in his bathtub.
I guess since I am pissed off for Hollywood for at least not taking the two years off from movies after 9/11 I am going to just watch nature shows. Those tend to get old. But at least Robert De Niro isn't going around like an ape and torturing and killing the animals and making blonde women horny. Because he is such a cool guy! And equally disturbing to seeing Macaulay Culkin doing youtube videos and movies about killing the monster are Cecile B. Demille movies from the 1950s and the 1960s. That teach you nothing about history. But are called Cleopatra and The Ten Commandments. Was he on LSD? Is that what we all are supposed to be on? How are we supposed to move on when we have nothing to move on from? Why even make a movie about the bible? These are the same people who now give you a report on your body mass index? You learn absolutely nothing. No history from those movies. They don't even quality as something you could make a joke boardgame from. I would rather look at a drawing of a church that a first grader made with a black crayon. Anyway the bible says, Love thy neighbor. And Hollywood movies are consistent with hate your neighbor. Love your neighbor only when he is helping you fight a monster. Christian slater with a bloody arm walking around like normal in Heathers.Retarded. No wonder OPEC and the oil companies and big pharma and companies like Nestle rule the world. I almost wonder if companies like Nestle are the ones financing these movies especially something like Lake Placid. This Perseus cult. It's pointless. Just like the supposed genius girl from Harvard who is like seventeen who figured out an algorithm to see black holes. It's about as dumb as a Robert DeNiro movie.

Second to the Lake Placid Weirdness. Why are there no movies made about big foot? I mean yeah there was one. But when you turn it on TV you see nothing but shows about looking for Bigfoot. And the same people that finance this crap are the ones financing crap like Lake Placid. So what is Macaulay Culkin doing these days? Depleted gene pool. I guess we are just supposed to get the bigfoot inferences in movies.I mean there is even a game called Drake of the 99 dragons from the Xbox or something. A no win situation.
Let's talk about Devil worship, says George Knapp.

I don't follow how that post is a response to the part you quoted, exactly. Seems kinda stream-of-consciousness?

Highly advise clarifying these posts and trying to make their meaning plainer (they seem to end up in totally different places than they start). And ideally breaking up the paragraphs so they're easier to read.

I am watching Redux again now, and I noticed how the aspect ratio is different at least on the DVD copy I picked up. The aspect ratio is 2:00:1, where as the original movie is 2.39:1. Is this normal for the Redux release?

I just watched it again. Does anyone think that the the scene where the women are performing on stage, as well as maybe the tiger scene, should have been cut from the original too, as it doesn't seem to add or change anything, unless I'm wrong?