Oscars Add New Category for Popular Film

Tools    

Wow.

Guess I've got a little re-coding to do.

...the The Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences said Wednesday it is creating a new category to honor “achievement in popular film.”

The Academy also said it is planning a “more globally accessible three-hour telecast” and said its 2020 ceremony will be moved up to Feb. 9, almost a month earlier than its usual slot at the end of February that marks the conclusion of Hollywood’s annual awards season.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Typical publicity stunt. Oscars have always been a watered-down spectacle that nobody took seriosuly. Now that less and less people get interested, they decided to make up a new category to give to Marvel films, or something. LOL.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Master of My Domain
Great. I can't wait until the Oscars just start handing out awards to every mainstream Hollywood film.

The Oscars have needed fixing for awhile, but this ain't it.

Anyone who disliked award show sensibilities and the way it (seemed to) ignore, or even avoid, popular opinion, obviously isn't going to be placated by this. If that was a problem that required a solution at all (debatable, I suppose), the solution was changing the minds and/or composite of the voters to reflect a wider array of tastes, not creating a category that forced the same people to pick their favorites among the films they would otherwise not care for.

I recently realized how silly the Oscars are. This certainly doesn't help.

Maybe they'll open it up to an internet vote and keep the trolls and bots busy for a while?
Every cloud and all that.....

Maybe they'll open it up to an internet vote and keep the trolls and bots busy for a while?
Every cloud and all that.....
It would give the Russians something to do other than screwing with American elections.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
This is basically a pity award. Hey, you're not good enough to win a real Oscar, so take this popularity one instead.

Suspect's Reviews

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah, I'm not a fan of this, and I'm one who typically sticks up for these things.

Anyways I know this isn't until 2020 but Black Panther would win this award this year so they could make a huge deal still out of the film, correct?

What even is the point

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.