Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Legend in my own mind

Uncut gems (2019)

Can see the appeal for others, but it's not for me.

For Sama (2019) - 8.2/10. My god this was hard to watch. Gory, heart-warming, touching. Encourage everyone to watch it. Life is worth pennies I guess. The buzz from my whiskey just fizzled out. Oscars for sure.

And I have to say, the lady who did the documentary is soooo pretty!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
The Yellow Handkerchief - 8.5/10
Booo! Too low! I bumped the rating.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Account terminated on request
Regarding Motherless Brooklyn:

Apart from the soundtrack, I struggled to care.
Didn't see that particular film yet, but I've noticed this about many movies of late:

1. Great theme
2. Plot I can't find fault with
3. Characters that are multidimensional
4. ...........and the movie for some reason still falls flat.

They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Regarding Motherless Brooklyn:

Didn't see that particular film yet, but I've noticed this about many movies of late:

1. Great theme
2. Plot I can't find fault with
3. Characters that are multidimensional
4. ...........and the movie for some reason still falls flat.

I agree. And I was wondering if it was because I have odd taste in movies but I see other people on Letterboxd feeling the same way, too.

I've also noticed it's often from people who generally know what they're doing. I'm feeling more from directorial debuts and sophomore efforts.

Pain and Glory: 8/10

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Phantom Thread (2017)

I'm aware I'm a couple of years late on this one, but I thought it was brilliant. The music especially.

Account terminated on request
I agree. And I was wondering if it was because I have odd taste in movies but I see other people on Letterboxd feeling the same way, too.

I've also noticed it's often from people who generally know what they're doing. I'm feeling more from directorial debuts and sophomore efforts.
I've been pondering if it's some combination of these:

1. Scheduling now being a high premium than ever before? (Guess....I don't know).

and perhaps:

2. We as audiences have now seen SO many movies (and other productions of quality) that we have seen and seen and seen nearly every combination of plot twist and character development and humor and especially "emotional impact moments" that we're subconsciously looking for more and more.

The option #2 above really intrigues me in slightly other ways too. For instance, I felt that the only thing "wrong" with Unbreakable was that it followed on the heels of The Sixth Sense, and people set an oddly misplaced bar to reach; I had personally noticed a lot of disappointment with the film. Had Unbreakable appeared first, it would have perhaps not been heralded as stellar, but would have been far better received. I loved the film.

The Phantom Thread (2017)

I'm aware I'm a couple of years late on this one, but I thought it was brilliant. The music especially.

The Phantom Thread was the winner of the 20th HoF. People really seemed to like it, and those how rewatched it said it got even better the second time around.

Uncut Gems

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Ford v Ferrari
I don't enjoy watching motor racing but the movies about it i have seen have been pretty good, this was good but Rush was better in my opinion

Play Misty for Me
I was disappointed by this one,between Clint Eastwoods most boring character and Jessica Walters creepy but over the top acting(seriously don't watch this film with earphones in,her screeching almost murdered my ears)

I've been pondering if it's some combination of these:

1. Scheduling now being a high premium than ever before? (Guess....I don't know).

and perhaps:

2. We as audiences have now seen SO many movies (and other productions of quality) that we have seen and seen and seen nearly every combination of plot twist and character development and humor and especially "emotional impact moments" that we're subconsciously looking for more and more.

The option #2 above really intrigues me in slightly other ways too. For instance, I felt that the only thing "wrong" with Unbreakable was that it followed on the heels of The Sixth Sense, and people set an oddly misplaced bar to reach; I had personally noticed a lot of disappointment with the film. Had Unbreakable appeared first, it would have perhaps not been heralded as stellar, but would have been far better received. I loved the film.

I loved Unbreakable, too. I think I'd go for option 2. We kind of have seen pretty much everything. Personally, I find myself more easily flirted with by directors who know how to deliver a proper 80s trashy throwback, because it rekindles a feeling, a sort of...thrill. And I love a properly done psychedelic movie because damn...beautiful stuff (like Mandy).

I don' t know much about scheduling, so I can't really comment on that.

Btw has anyone else noticed Elijah Wood lending his hand to producing some good stuff lately? He's on the production credits to Mandy, which surprised me. I quite like Color Out of Space, which wasn't the best Lovecraftian thing I've ever seen but I did enjoy it (it featured the more classic freak-out Cage). My favourite Cage to date is Mandy. I absolutely loved everything about that movie.

Cat Ballou (1965)

+

I didn't quite like it as much as the first time, in a bar in the early 90's with similar morons and losers, but I still liked it. It's not what I normally look for in a western as it's mostly a comedy. Jane Fonda is good, and more importantly she looks good, but this movie belongs to Lee Marvin. He plays two roles and is an absolute riot. I also liked the musical interludes with Nat King Cole.