Site looks off

Tools    

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
HOW DARE YOU! I made
Huh. I always wondered who made Affleck passing gas.

Totally makes sense now!

Huh. I always wondered who made Affleck passing gas.

Totally makes sense now!

Looks more like he smelt it, not dealt it!

Not saying who did it, but sure looks guilty...

Part of me thinks people might actually endure the abject horror of a mobile style rather than suddenly stop talking to all the people they've come to know and love, but if we never find out for sure, that's fine, too.

Goal for tomorrow is to roll out a few mobile style design tweaks and maybe get the link generator button working.

And yeah, however used to doing things manually you might be, try the new editor options, they work great. You can even wrap the bold and italic tags around whatever's already selected. So much easier. I already used the mobile style pretty regularly but it's already feeling a lot smoother with the first batch of changes.

Part of me thinks people might actually endure the abject horror of a mobile style rather than suddenly stop talking to all the people they've come to know and love, but if we never find out for sure, that's fine, too.
I hate to state the obvious but not all people are the same. You never understood my perspective anyway, but that's ok because you're not necessarily supposed to. What you should do is accept it, rather than saying someone will get used to it as if you have some way of knowing that.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I just discovered a simple fix for the viewing problem and maybe this might work for others.

Referencing the images below, on your screen you first click on the 3 dots in the upper right hand corner which brings up a menu. Scroll down to where it says "Desktop site" and check the box. That fixes the view for me.

You my friend are awesome!

Problem solved.

I hate to state the obvious but not all people are the same.
I didn't suggest otherwise. What I did suggest is that people use and like forums for the people on them and what they post, neither of which has changed, so it seems plausible they might endure using a mobile style occasionally rather than not talking to them any more.

You never understood my perspective anyway, but that's ok because you're not necessarily supposed to.
I'm sorry you think I didn't understand, rather than that I simply didn't agree. Either way, it sure wasn't for lack of trying.

What you should do is accept it, rather than saying someone will get used to it as if you have some way of knowing that.
This logic works both ways, where somebody probably shouldn't immediately insist they never will, as if they have some way of knowing that. And our positions aren't at opposite extremes, either, because I said that people should try it and see what happens.

That said, people get used to literally everything, which is part of the problem. That's not exactly going out on a limb.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
You my friend are awesome!

Problem solved.
Yea sorted for me aswell. I was missing out on my lunch hour opportunity to drop a comment or 2.

I didn't suggest otherwise. What I did suggest is that people use and like forums for the people on them and what they post, neither of which has changed, so it seems plausible they might endure using a mobile style occasionally rather than not talking to them any more.
I didn't say you suggested otherwise, but it seemed like you didn't get it and it seems like you still don't. The way I read this is that you are generalizing. Some people do and some people don't, right? So it really doesn't mean anything when talking about an individual.

I'm sorry you think I didn't understand, rather than that I simply didn't agree. Either way, it sure wasn't for lack of trying.
How I feel and what I like is something you can't disagree with. I'm genuinely shocked by some of what you're saying.

This logic works both ways, where somebody probably shouldn't immediately insist they never will, as if they have some way of knowing that. And our positions aren't at opposite extremes, either, because I said that people should try it and see what happens.
I do have a way of knowing. Your site is not the only one on the Internet and it's not the first mobile version I've tried. My site has a mobile and desktop style as well. I don't do all of the codes like you do, I have a webguy for that, but I do all of the content and most of the SEO. I know what I like.

That said, people get used to literally everything, which is part of the problem. That's not exactly going out on a limb.

I didn't say you suggested otherwise, but it seemed like you didn't get it and it seems like you still don't. The way I read this is that you are generalizing. Some people do and some people don't, right? So it really doesn't mean anything when talking about an individual.
Pretty much nobody uses a forum for the amount of pinching or zooming they get to do (though some people will stop using it they have to do too much of that). The appeal of forums are the users and conversations. That's a generalization I'm comfortable making.

Not everybody being the same, by the way, is one of the better arguments for scaling things down: most people don't have 5G, fast Wi-Fi, and unlimited data, and therefore can't afford to be insouciant about loading a full desktop version of each page when all they want to do is see text.

How I feel and what I like is something you can't disagree with. I'm genuinely shocked by some of what you're saying.
I'm genuinely shocked you thought comparing full-width posts to "eating s**t" was reasonable, but here we are.

And what I can disagree with is the idea that somebody's preferences are forever frozen, and that habit plays no role in reinforcing them.

I do have a way of knowing. Your site is not the only one on the Internet and it's not the first mobile version I've tried. My site has a mobile and desktop style as well. I don't do all of the codes like you do, I have a webguy for that, but I do all of the content and most of the SEO. I know what I like.
The fact that people get used to even awful, cumbersome ways of doing things, and even come to prefer them through familiarity, is totally inarguable. It happens all the time, with websites, programs, workplace protocols, and a million other things. Nobody's really immune to it, either, so nobody should feel shocked or offended at the idea.

Anyway, if you're going to reply to totally reasonable points with dismissive emojis, I'd just as soon spend my time on more productive things. Like working on this mobile style/apparent torture device.

Sorry I don't think you're making any reasonable points. I do not like mobile style, especially on an interactive site like this because that style makes me feel like I'm by myself. I could get used to living with pain, sleeping in the cold, or eating nothing but rice, but that doesn't mean I would like it. There is nothing to debate. You suggesting that I couldn't possible know what I like, something that you couldn't possibly know, strikes me as grandiose. I am speaking for myself and nobody else. To do otherwise would be a guess. That's what you're doing.

Sorry I don't think you're making any reasonable points.
You're disputing the idea that we have lots of examples of people being committed to inefficient but familiar processes? Because that seems obviously true.

I guess you could technically believe you're immune to it somehow, or (more reasonably) that you just don't think it's having too much of an effect in this area, but to pretend it's not even generally true is pretty out there.

You suggesting that I couldn't possible know what I like, something that you couldn't possibly know, strikes me as grandiose.
Where did I suggest that? I said people cannot reliably say their habits have no effect on their preferences. Just because you've taken an extreme position, and I've disagreed with it, it doesn't mean my position is the opposite extreme.

Maybe you're shocked or surprised because you think I've said things I haven't. "You should give it a try" somehow morphed into "you will definitely come to like it" and now "habit plays a role" has morphed into "you have no idea what you like."

To do otherwise would be a guess. That's what you're doing.
Web development is my job, and I've been running this site for 20 years. That doesn't mean I'm automatically right, but I'm pretty sure it means these are something more than guesses, particularly when I've seen people say just these sorts of things in just these sorts of situations before.

If you think that's a coincidence, okay then. Not really worth arguing about.

You're disputing the idea that we have lots of examples of people being committed to inefficient but familiar processes? Because that seems obviously true.
I wouldn't dispute that at all but I'm talking about something specific and only in my case. That's why I mocked your use of the word "people".

I guess you could technically believe you're immune to it somehow, or (more reasonably) that you just don't think it's having too much of an effect in this area, but to pretend it's not even generally true is pretty out there.
Again, I'm not talking in generalities.

Where did I suggest that? I said people cannot reliably say their habits have no effect on their preferences. Just because you've taken an extreme position, and I've disagreed with it, it doesn't mean my position is the opposite extreme.
There may have been a misunderstanding on context, but you should never tell somebody they couldn't possibly know anything when they are speaking for themselves. My position is not extreme, it's simple. I do not like mobile sites. You cannot disagree with that. Getting used to it has nothing to do with that.

Maybe you're shocked or surprised because you think I've said things I haven't. "You should give it a try" somehow morphed into "you will definitely come to like it" and now "habit plays a role" has morphed into "you have no idea what you like."
You keep generalizing which you shouldn't do when speaking to an individual. There's also nothing for you to disagree with when my only point is that I don't like the mobile version and I never will. There's nothing to debate about it.

Web development is my job, and I've been running this site for 20 years. That doesn't mean I'm automatically right, but I'm pretty sure it means these are something more than guesses, particularly when I've seen people say just these sorts of things in just these sorts of situations before.
There's nothing wrong with guessing, until someone clarifies it for you. Then there's not much to talk about.

"I never will" is the point at which we part ways on what someone can and cannot know. If you believe that, then we're simply at an impasse and there's no use continuing. Thanks for the feedback, anyway.

Update on the mobile style: the link creation button is basically done. It inserts the URL tags just fine, and on Firefox it even wraps them around selected text. Only issue is that selection wrapping thing isn't working in Chrome yet for some reason.

I might just make it live anyway, since it's useful without that and the selection thing can just be a bonus for someone using another mobile browser. But I'll work on it a bit more this afternoon either way, maybe I can get it working everywhere.

Gotta say, I was sorta dreading trying to figure out some of these editor options, but I'm really happy with how clean they came out, and how fast.

You
"I never will" is the point at which we part ways on what someone can and cannot know. If you believe that, then we're simply at an impasse and there's no use continuing. Thanks for the feedback, anyway.
And I hope it doesn't seem too contentious because I think highly of you and I respect what you do here. But did you ever watch the first episode of a television show and not like it, and then you don't like the second episode. Do you keep watching figuring you'll get used to it? Maybe it's not exactly the same thing but that's what I'm hearing from you. The mobile version completely ruins the site for me. That may sound extreme and I wish it wasn't the case, but I can't help it. Fortunately desktop seems ok.

We're good. I have tons more thoughts on all this, but talking about aggregate user behavior with a specific user is a little tricky. If someone's interested in going in-depth on all this I don't mind them contacting me directly/privately, though.

You ready? You look ready.
I'm starting to feel a lot like Switzerland in here.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza