20th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Nope, haven't even heard of it. It's on one list... "AFI's 100 Years... 100 Cheers," so it must be not that brutal?
I think Miss Vicky was mentioning Hotel Rwanda earlier in this thread. I thought it was very brutal, not because of blood and guts but because of the real physiological horror these people had to endure.

Nope, haven't even heard of it. It's on one list... "AFI's 100 Years... 100 Cheers," so it must be not that brutal?
I have only watched it once but it was pretty disturbing. I’ve been rewatching a bunch of Joaquin Phoenix movies and will probably watch it again soon. Not looking forward to it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Can you guys take a look at the 1st post and see if it looks OK? I just added some code to make it double columns and I want to make sure it isn't screwed up on mobile or desktop versions.

It looks good on my new system, so you're good with Windows 10 and their MS Edge browser.

The Music Man

And this one seems to fall in the direct middle. Although it is almost ruined for me by Robert Preston who I really didn't care for at all in that lead role. He actually seemed rather a creepy guy to me. Also, there are some insanely godawful songs sandwiched in between some that actually are quite decent. That Shipoopi song and scene is right up there for the worst scene in any movie, and I've seen Red Psalm and Utena before.

+

I love this movie for all the reasons that you said you hated about it. I thought Robert Preston was excellent as Professor Harold Hill, a con man who gets caught because he falls in love with the woman who was supposed to be his prey. IMO, it's the role he was born to play.

And I love the song "Shipoopi", but that might be more of a nostalgia thing for me. My father was a big fan of Buddy Hackett, and when I was a kid, he used to dance around the house singing that song whenever he was in a good mood.

Glad to hear you at least sort of like it The Music Man is probably not the easiest musical for people to like because it's a niche musical, being made almost exactly like the Broadway show. That then makes it hard for movie fans as it has a lot of songs, and not much plot or character development. I probably should've went with the other musical I had in mind as it would be more accessible.
What was the other musical?
I might nominate it one day, so you might find out Or I might just save it for a Genre HoF. We'll see

I'm looking forward to finding out what other musical you thought about nominating. (But I might be the only one looking forward to it. )

Can you guys take a look at the 1st post and see if it looks OK? I just added some code to make it double columns and I want to make sure it isn't screwed up on mobile or desktop versions.
Shouldn't "Members Reviews" be centered? For me it's on top of left column. Using W10 + Vivaldi.

Shouldn't "Members Reviews" be centered? For me it's on top of left column. Using W10 + Vivaldi.

Yes you're right. I did have it centered, then screwed it all up and had to restart all over. I see if I can center Members Reviews again. BTW I just watched a review of Vivaldi browser today, are you like it?

Yes you're right. I did have it centered, then screwed it all up and had to restart all over. I see if I can center Members Reviews again. BTW I just watched a review of Vivaldi browser today, are you like it?
Not sure if I'm like Vivaldi but I think it's pretty good browser Switched to it quite some time ago when Opera started to go too far from what it used to be. Vivaldi is kinda like new Opera, I think it's even made by the people who started Opera.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Ghostbusters (1984)

It has been so long since I watched this, that I seriously considered if it wasn't my first time watching it whole.

There's really not much I can say about this.
It's a good film for what it tries to be. Very entertaining, there's real chemistry between the 3 main Ghostbusters, and the casting was very well done. I didn't exactly laughed at it, except for one or two moments, but I still felt quite entertained.
I also like all the visual effects, they might seem dated but I can imagine that for the time when this came out, there was really nothing better.

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Monsters Inc. (2001)

I am not usually a fan of animation. In fact, except for a 2 or 3 Ghibli films and Pixar's Inside Out, I wouldn't say I love any animation film, except maybe for nostalgia effect, which I tend to disregard. Even so, Monsters Inc is that type of film that I watch if it's on TV and I have nothing else to do. I like it, I like the characters, it's confortable to watch, it's moderately funny and the animation is very well done.
The concept is quite clever and it's well executed, and it has all the typical elements of a Pixar flick, so I get all the love.
Watched it back to back with its prequel and, not surprisingly, I liked the original waay more.

Oh, and I love Randall!!! It might be my favourite character in the whole film!

Not sure if I'm like Vivaldi but I think it's pretty good browser Switched to it quite some time ago when Opera started to go too far from what it used to be. Vivaldi is kinda like new Opera, I think it's even made by the people who started Opera.
I use to be a big fan of Opera browser, I haven't used it in years though. BTW I tried centering Members Reviews: like you suggested, I think it looks pretty good now.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Looks VERY good, CR!!

Looks VERY good, CR!!
Thanks Ed. There must be an easier way to do it. One of these days when I have lots of free time I'll find better code to do double columns...Probably never as I'm always busy. In fact I need to get working right now!

Cool Hand Luke

Captain: Now, I can be a good guy, or I can be one real mean sum-bitch.

Set in the late 40's we see ne'er do well, Luke (Paul Newman), using a pipe cutter to chop off the heads of parking meters. Too drunk to be worried about the cops who arrive on the scene. And we get the first "Luke smile" that is consistent throughout this film of road crew chain gang, making it from heat scorched day to the next. Combatting the tedium with bets and fantasizing of any luxury that catches their imprisoned existence.

Reading a previous discussion on this, I kept an eye out for possible connections to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, and at its heart, there is a number of them. The "outsider trouble-maker" looking to buck the system, refusing to lay down and the pummeling they get for it — the passing of time with bets and so forth.
They both follow many films of that era that showcase the defiant refusing to obey the System only to get beaten down for it. Like Nicholson in his role, Paul Newman truly does shine in this. His smile and his die-hard determination along with a cagey cleverness with Newman aplomb. Much like a feral dog that is chained up, he makes a run for it any and every time it comes available. His escapes are clever ones as he confuses the hounds they send after him and the guards to keep them from pursuing on foot. You feel the heavy blow each recapture brings.

What I find the most intriguing about older films such as this, unlike more modern ones where escape and freedom for a luxurious life seem pretty much guaranteed. Capture, recapture, and the inevitable breaking of the spirit is far more likely for the leading character, giving the scene in the old church far more gravitas for me.

I'd also like to mention the splendid job of ALL the actors in this film. They bring nuances, much like the camera work and story brings you into the movie and into the prison life that explores more than the harshness dealt them but the men who live the passing of time in such situations.

Thanks Ed. There must be an easier way to do it. One of these days when I have lots of free time I'll find better code to do double columns...Probably never as I'm always busy. In fact I need to get working right now!
It definitely paid off. The convenience of double columns for the review lists is a god-send.

Is it too late for me to join?
Miss Vickys already sent in her list so not sure she’d want to but I’m personally fine with it.

Is it too late for me to join?
I'm afraid so it's pretty late in the show. Most of us are well on the way to being done and Miss Vicky is already done...I'll be finished with the movies in just a day or two.

I hope you'll join the 21st HoF and Raul is currently taking movie nominations for the Japanese Film HoF link

And Siddon will be starting a Comedy HoF in a few days, you out to join that one, the last one was a blast!

It definitely paid off. The convenience of double columns for the review lists is a god-send.
Is that because you use a phone and it's easier to see two columns? I did it because I thought it looked neat and made use of the space.

What's hard for me is when the review links are after the movie posters as it takes a lot of scrolling with my mouse to get to where I want to go. That's why I always do the review links in the 1st post.

Is that because you use a phone and it's easier to see two columns? I did it because I thought it looked neat and made use of the space.

What's hard for me is when the review links are after the movie posters as it takes a lot of scrolling with my mouse to get to where I want to go. That's why I always do the review links in the 1st post.
prefer to use a computer, but the scrolling is cut in half with the double column and you see everyone with one screen shot. And, like you said, it makes it neat and uses the extra space.