Computer Repair n Tips

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I swear by the dry Swiffer dusting cloths or dusters. They work on everything (even the insides of the CPU) and dust clings to them better than those microfiber cloth things.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Screenwipes, I suppose, but I always find they leave streaks unless your monitor is stone cold - Use them first thing before you turn your PC on. I've found microfibre cloth (damp) to be the best.

Just don't use anything which has cotton in it - It'll scratch your screen.

EDIT - Ninja'd by the Swiffer gal!

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I'll look into the Swiffer cloths. Maybe can get my hands on a few.

So a soft shirt or cloth that has no cotton is safe?

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Been reading a bit and it seems like the safest thing is microfiber. Some swear by the Swiffer cloths like Austruck though one user cautioned not to rub too hard.

Thanks.

No, you don't rub them at ALL. Just the lightest whoosh across the monitor with one of them and it'll cling all the dust to itself. Seriously -- you barely have to brush up against it with the cloth (or the duster).

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Okay, thanks. The monitor is very dusty.

Reviving an old thread.

I'm seriously shopping for a new desktop computer. The guts of this one are nearly 8 years old, though I've upgraded the RAM, the power supply, and the graphics card. ANYWAY, I'm torn between what I usually do and what I probably should do. Here seem to be my choices:

--buying a solid unit with as much RAM and storage and graphics oomph as I can afford, hoping to use it right out of the box without too much tweaking for a while. This is the fastest option but pricier.

--buying a sturdy but more basic unit, using the upgrades I have in this machine to upgrade the new machine. This would be cheaper but would take longer (since I'd have to have hubby help me install the upgrades).

The upgrades I've made to this computer include these two items (power supply and graphics cards) and those were to accommodate some higher-end games I play:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0167OW8M0 (Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB graphics card)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ALK3HF4 (500w power supply)

If those were your choices (and I'd rather not spend a thousand-plus bucks on a gaming computer), which seems more prudent? Upgrading a lower-end new computer right away, or buying something better to begin with?

I'll defer to the others, though I assume they'll both do the "well, you can get a better computer for less, if you're willing to assemble some stuff yourself" thing, so it'll probably hinge on that.

Reviving an old thread.

I'm seriously shopping for a new desktop computer. The guts of this one are nearly 8 years old, though I've upgraded the RAM, the power supply, and the graphics card. ANYWAY, I'm torn between what I usually do and what I probably should do. Here seem to be my choices:

--buying a solid unit with as much RAM and storage and graphics oomph as I can afford, hoping to use it right out of the box without too much tweaking for a while. This is the fastest option but pricier.

--buying a sturdy but more basic unit, using the upgrades I have in this machine to upgrade the new machine. This would be cheaper but would take longer (since I'd have to have hubby help me install the upgrades).

The upgrades I've made to this computer include these two items (power supply and graphics cards) and those were to accommodate some higher-end games I play:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0167OW8M0 (Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB graphics card)

If those were your choices (and I'd rather not spend a thousand-plus bucks on a gaming computer), which seems more prudent? Upgrading a lower-end new computer right away, or buying something better to begin with?
I'm glad you bumped this thread. I was just wondering if MoFo had a computer help thread, because I sure needed some help the other day.

But back to your post. I've pulled my computer apart and upgraded all the hardware, which really gave it new life, but...I don't game on it so I don't know what the requirements are for gaming? Ram is cheap, though processor upgrading is harder and more costly. I don't know if money is an issue, but it was for me so I bought a used computer from ebay from a certified computer reseller. I got a bargain and I also found there's lots of used and new hardware upgrades available too. Can you just add in more ram and buy a upgrade VGC?

I'm glad you bumped this thread. I was just wondering if MoFo had a computer help thread, because I sure needed some help the other day.

But back to your post. I've pulled my computer apart and upgraded all the hardware, which really gave it new life, but...I don't game on it so I don't know what the requirements are for gaming? Ram is cheap, though processor upgrading is harder and more costly. I don't know if money is an issue, but it was for me so I bought a used computer from ebay from a certified computer reseller. I got a bargain and I also found there's lots of used and new hardware upgrades available too. Can you just add in more ram and buy a upgrade VGC?
That's where I'm at right now: basic computer bought in August 2010 and upgraded the graphics card and RAM and power supply. But lately it's been doing the kinds of odd, scary things that mobos or hard drives do when they are thinking about dying on you.

So, I think it's time to think about a new one. Eight years is a long time for a computer.

Hubby can help me install new components, though I'd have to catch him at a time when he had time to spare to do it. Although this is the top of my price range and comfort zone, I think it would be really great right outta the box for me:

https://www.staples.com/cyberpowerpc...oduct_24310235

I think I'm feeling the time crunch enough to lean in this direction. I have a ton of projects on the go with deadlines and the thought of being without a desktop computer for a whole day or more while hubby finds time to install hardware bits makes me nervous.

Does anyone know anything about the graphics card in this particular computer? It says it's an AMD Radeon Vega 8. Doesn't have to be awe-inspiring. Just good enough for most games.

Reviving an old thread.

Personally, I'd go for the best you can afford unless you're sure that the cheaper PC will be easily upgradable. A lot of pre-built PCs have non standard motherboards and cases, specifically built for that configuration and that configuration only. You might then buy a new GPU and find that it won't fit.

The PC you linked to in your second post seems pretty decent, but it comes with what seems to be integrated graphics. That case looks to have ample room for a GPU although if the integrated card had been a Ryzen 5 rather than a Ryzen 3, you might not even need one.

EDIT - You'll then need to make sure that the PSU has connectors for a GPU. Also, what kind of PCI slot is on the motherboard to take the GPU.

A system of cells interlinked
I am not up to speed on the AMD stuff, so not much help there. I tend to be an Intel/Nvidia guy, myself. Last time I got a machine, I went to IBuyPower and stripped one of their machines down and changed the mobo/gpu etc out to exactly what I wanted. Not sure if you can even still do that at those places.

I just dropped in to say that I am very impressed with the knowledge and skill so many mofos here have on assembling, updating, cleaning and coddling their computers. Very very impressive. Much more than I can attempt or comprehend - but I AM impressed. (And very very glad to have tech support for me self)

Me; I'm old school. My approach to maintaining, updating and sustaining a computer - should that moment, along with flying pigs, ever occur in this known universe -

is a hatchet.

Thanks, guys. I'll see what I can find out about that machine I posted. Perhaps the graphics card I have now would switch out. I can't seem to see anywhere in the description to indicate how many watts the power supply is. The one I upgraded to for my current computer is 500w.

I think, @Tacitus, you and others helped me decide on both of those upgrade purchases (the GeForce card and the right power supply) back when I upgraded two years ago. The card came with a ridiculous amount of options for cabling (which impressed my hubby when he put it in for me).

And yes, @lenslady, I agree on the knowledge of this group! It's precisely why I've asked for recommendations more than once in recent years. (I think there is some other computer-rig thread in here somewhere but I couldn't find it and chose this one in a pinch.)

Hey, how about this machine? It's actually $100 LESS than the previous one I posted, and perhaps the graphics card is a tad better? Reminder: the games I play are more in the Obduction range of need, with the occasional foray into Skyrim. I'm not a PUBG-type gamer or anything like that. Is this NVIDIA card better than the integrated card of the machine I posted a few posts back??

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/ibuypow...?skuId=5600302

(sigh) Apparently the CPU is much weaker, though. I'm still looking! Thanks, guys!
Yep, of the two I'd definitely go for the first one. Ryzen is AMD's current model of CPU.

If you were to go for it I'd say try it with the built-in graphics and see how you go. It might be fine for your needs - providing you've clarified it's got an upgrade path - and you can buy a new GPU at any time in the future. It seems a solid base.

That's what my computer forensics friend says too now. He likes the Ryzen family of processors and said start with this one and upgrade as needed. And since I don't play PUBG and never will, perhaps it'll suit me and my own game needs. I'll see what I can find out about its upgradability and go for it. I've seen similar machines and ones not this solid going for more $$ elsewhere, so I know this is a good price.