Have you got a gun/would you kill someone?

Tools    

I don't have a gun. I would like to have but the legislation in Finland (most of Europe actually) is terrible and most likely getting worse. My opinion about the strict gun control is pretty much this:

Would I kill someone? Yes, I'm pretty sure I would if the situation demanded that. And after that in our European dream I would go to jail for at least manslaughter and excessive force as in here the only legal defense people have is to run away (even from their own home). In here criminals have way more rights than victims do.

Most interesting man in the world
I dont have it in me for sure. Injure badly in self defense, but that is as far I will go. But never kill. Spiders even more. I will run away from a spider, big ones. But humans with a chainsaw, hacksaw, fists, dont matter. I can take a few down.

I grew up in an environment where guns are rare. And to be honest, for self defense it is over-kill. A baseball/cricket bat is more than enough.
Maybe not yet..but maybe one day when someone hurts you or your : friends family significant other etc. Things can change for good or bad then you'll see the EFFECTS of the victims who were or were close to being abused..
Trauma nightmares depression etc " injure badly " sometimes is NOT enough..people can come back.. I.E a random intruder breaks in your house you mess him up with your baseball bat injure him if you're lucky he doesn't have a gun the police arrest him if that he testifies that he didn't break in and says " he was just lost and he " thought" it was " his friends house" or some bs story..he may or may not be found guilty in a court of law then he bails out of jail and comes back when day this time maybe with a gun or a group of guys in the middle of the night.. 3 guys with guns vs you with a baseball bat
Who has the advantage?
As he now knows where you live and your name because it's on the police report and when you testify against him in a court of law as he DOES have the right to know who's accusing him of a crime..
You can't remain anonymous
And now he can Google your name and address and get more info about you...your friends family business
Etc because ALOT of these things are public record..
What's to stop him in getting revenge on you? Your house/family/property?
If you kill him in self defense there's NO WAY for him to testify in a court of law.. why give them the chance to turn it around on you..? I've heard of cases where an intruder breaks in a house and " sues" the home owners when they hurt him.. people can twist things around on you trust me.. you pretty much need to be already hurt by the intruder to "legally fight" back in case they say you " needed" to kill in self defense which is complete bs ... This stupid "rule" seems only to apply to citizens not the police
They don't wait to see "anything ". They just
Think that because they wear a badge they can do anything they "view " as correct self Defense behavior

" In here criminals have way more rights than victims do."

See what I mean..the justice system in a lot of places are stupid

I'm totally for guns everywhere.. it's not about " gun control". It's about " bad people control"..

Even Schools are stocking up on guns I hear

Maybe not yet..but maybe one day when someone hurts you or your : friends family significant other etc. Things can change for good or bad then you'll see the EFFECTS of the victims who were or were close to being abused..
Trauma nightmares depression etc " injure badly " sometimes is NOT enough..people can come back.. I.E a random intruder breaks in your house you mess him up with your baseball bat injure him if you're lucky he doesn't have a gun the police arrest him if that he testifies that he didn't break in and says " he was just lost and he " thought" it was " his friends house" or some bs story..he may or may not be found guilty in a court of law then he bails out of jail and comes back when day this time maybe with a gun or a group of guys in the middle of the night.. 3 guys with guns vs you with a baseball bat
Who has the advantage?
As he now knows where you live and your name because it's on the police report and when you testify against him in a court of law as he DOES have the right to know who's accusing him of a crime..
You can't remain anonymous
And now he can Google your name and address and get more info about you...your friends family business
Etc because ALOT of these things are public record..
What's to stop him in getting revenge on you? Your house/family/property?
If you kill him in self defense there's NO WAY for him to testify in a court of law.. why give them the chance to turn it around on you..? I've heard of cases where an intruder breaks in a house and " sues" the home owners when they hurt him.. people can twist things around on you trust me.. you pretty much need to be already hurt by the intruder to "legally fight" back in case they say you " needed" to kill in self defense which is complete bs ... This stupid "rule" seems only to apply to citizens not the police
They don't wait to see "anything ". They just
Think that because they wear a badge they can do anything they "view " as correct self Defense behavior

" In here criminals have way more rights than victims do."

See what I mean..the justice system in a lot of places are stupid

I'm totally for guns everywhere.. it's not about " gun control". It's about " bad people control"..

Even Schools are stocking up on guns I hear
That will never change fortunately.

And why would I assume the intruder always has a gun? Most of the other countries the chances are very very minimal to non-existent. What you are stating is mostly paranoia. That this might happen, that might happen. If the intruder testifies that he was just loitering, at least I wont have a manslaughter charge to my name. I will be able to live that. But not taking a life... intruder, bad, evil whatever you would like to label them as.

Its the mentality towards guns that is different here in US.

I was reading a thread somewhere, where a lady asked on a forum what are the legal self defense weapons that she can carry in the UK. The replies were downright hilarious but also revealing in the way people think about "weapons". If i can find the link i will share. The replies were mostly pepper spray, potatoes, hands/fists/knees.

And schools aren't stocking up on guns. That is not true.

I said regulating, not banning.
Oh let me bring you up to speed on official NRA language. They would never ever ever use the word "ban" and any kind of weapon in the same sentence unless its to say "we need to stop any attempt to ban...". But "additional regulation" is a term that allows them to tip their hat to the concept of change up to and including outright banning. They surely know any legislation or ATF action that results in a change in the availability of bump stocks would be somewhere between a ban and laws so draconian that it would in effect ban it from the vast majority of regular citizens. But they arent ever going to release an official statement saying "we want to ban..." even if they were talking about ICBM's.

And anyway the NRA releasing a carefully coded message about "regulating" bump stocks that they know full well wont result in any change hardly addresses my point about the NRA no longer supporting certain kinds of GUN control measures as they had in the distant past when they actually officially were in favor of the BANNING of many kinds of firearms. For example, they supported the National Firearms act of 1934 which outright banned machine guns among other guns and later on supported the Federal Firearms Act. They even were against open carry legislation in the 60's and 70's although primarily because they didn’t want the black panthers being able to legally walk around with rifles (or vibranium I assume). But all that semi-rational common sense stuff stopped in the 80's when the NRA became part and parcel of the gun manufacturing industry and tightened up even more so when mass shootings began to really become an issue shortly after. They found the mass shootings resulted in a spike of gun sales and a spike in gun sales resulted in the gun manufacturers filling the NRA's coffers with cash. So carnage was great for business! And contributed to a cycle that allowed them to get more and more powerful on the dead bodies of first graders.

Of course the real irony is that electing Republicans is BAD for business. But electing democrats might lead to restrictions. So probably the ideal situation for the NRA is lots of Republicans in office AND lots of mass shootings to scare the public into buying lots more guns.

All the way to the bank...

And as for your reply about the car analogy, I can always tell when you run up against an argument that confounds you because you go into lawyer gobbledygook mode and take 7 paragraphs to say pretty much nothing in the hopes that youll make me so dizzy that Ill concede your mistake as a point. Well sorry. I consider resorting to fine print arguing a sign of failure. Guns are tools for killing. Cars are tools for transportation. No dancing around those facts with verbiage.

Never said "exclusively", I said "specifically" as you yourself noted in my quote. So unless its your contention that killing is an incidental result of gun design and they are actually "exclusively" (or even "specifically") designed for something else entirely than the logic stands that guns are about killing. Whether thats killing humans or animals. Killin's killin. Sure you can use them to open a bottle of whiskey or knock your girlfriend out but Im thinking that’s not the primary thing going through the mind of the manufacturer when they are mocking up the next assault rifle.

And "other purposes like self defense" you say? Again, unless by self defense you mean throwing your gun at the mugger and running then Im thinking that’s pretty much the same way of saying "guns are a WEAPON. Guns are DESIGNED to KILL".

Oh and I never said gun manufacturers are making guns more dangerous to use for the owner ("accidental discharge" generally impacts the shooter more than anyone else) but more lethal to use AGAINST a target. Im not sure why you feel so compelled to site wikipedia in order to try to dodge that absolute fact. Guns today are more lethal than guns from 50 years ago (or 200 years ago for that matter Mr. Second Amendment). Cars have gotten faster sure but MUCH safer. The accident stats from the 30's versus the 60's versus today makes that plainly clear. Again no need to bob and weave on this one.

And don’t try to back track out of the analogy by saying oh I don’t support regulation. That wasn’t the point. The point was you insisting that "our current regulations are insufficient" on cars. Well if you dont actually believe that then don’t bring up the point.

And Im amused that my open theorizing on the prospect of banning the AR-15 resulted in you making yet more petty irrelevant pot shots and offering pointless wiki based philosophy citations in response. How bout trying to actually, you know, respond to the actual comment like Yoda did (and most people in discussion do) rather than using everything you see as an opportunity to try to insult and/or vomit your current irrelevant interests on us in the process. Cause it makes you look like incoherent grandstander. At best.

What part of "also" do you not understand?

That still begs the question of 'Why those few?'
I can only assume you ask this question because you want to be able to say after my response that banning one gun leaves the door open to banning any other gun, especially when other guns kill more people (although not in a high profile way like these assault rifles have been). To which my question would be then according to this logic how can we draw a line AT ALL? If you are worried that banning AR-15's will be the camels nose under the tent toward banning pistols and 22's etc. then how can banning grenade launchers and fully automatic weapons etc. not lead to the same thing? Also, why didnt the original assault weapons ban result in an avalanche of bans or other guns as well?

How convenient, most gun deaths are caused by handguns which are by and large semi-automatic. Maybe we should ban "assault pistols"?
^

If liberals truly cared about saving childrens lives with gun bans then they'd go after handguns. Way more kids are killed annualy? What are the children in Chicago not as important as those in Parkland? That's what the point of banning semi autos is right, to save childrens lives

And why would I assume the intruder always has a gun?
To be safe. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

Most of the other countries the chances are very very minimal to non-existent. What you are stating is mostly paranoia.
What's happening in other countries isn't really relevant to me. I read the local police reports and know what's going on around town. That's not paranoia. That's being informed.

If the intruder testifies that he was just loitering, at least I wont have a manslaughter charge to my name.
Don't loiter in my house. If somebody is loitering in my house (I call that breaking and entering) the chances of them testifying are minimal because 1- they won't be taking the stand. They'll be the defendant in a B and E trial or worse (especially for me) a murder trial or 2- they'll be gone and won't be saying anything. Confronting an intruder is not the time for 20 questions.

To be safe. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

What's happening in other countries isn't really relevant to me. I read the local police reports and know what's going on around town. That's not paranoia. That's being informed.

Don't loiter in my house. If somebody is loitering in my house (I call that breaking and entering) the chances of them testifying are minimal because 1- they won't be taking the stand. They'll be the defendant in a B and E trial or worse (especially for me) a murder trial or 2- they'll be gone and won't be saying anything. Confronting an intruder is not the time for 20 questions.
To be safe, i dont need a gun. That is my opinion.

What happens in other countries might not be important you, it is to me. I read the reports too. I live in a safe neighborhood, so crimes are mostly petty.

At the end of day, its all your perspective, isn't it? You are happy with the outcome of a shooting, by all means, its your choice. Not mine.

Most interesting man in the world
"To be safe. Prepare for the worst, "
^
" To be safe, i dont need a gun. That is my opinion. "

You don't need one right now...since your safe
But when the " time " comes you'll be without one.. hopefully you never say. "Damn I should of bought one "

"
At the end of day, its all your perspective, isn't it? You are happy with the outcome of a shooting, by all means, its your choice. Not mine"

It's just reality.. "happy " that you weren't hurt...happy that youre Alive you probably wouldn't do well in a war,as a policeman etc you'll be a slave when the "spiders"
Try to take over the earth

Did your dad ever teach you to fight? Box? Etc

You can't win an argument just by being right!
A grandfather today in a farmhouse in Western Australia shot and killed 6 family members then himself. A gun in this situation was certainly not helpful.

As a long-time member of the NRA and a gun owner, the answer is YES to both questions. In view of the high crime rate in our society, it is more important than ever that people learn to protect themselves.
These "marches" and their habit of blaming the NRA is nonsense. Blaming the NRA for shootings is like blaming the AAA for auto accidents! The NRA has always advocated the safe use of firearms, and conducts thousands of safety courses. No NRA member has ever been involved in a mass shooting.
And yes, if a malicious criminal came at me with a knife or gun intending to harm or kill me, I would certainly shoot him. Why stand there and just get murdered - unless you are suicidal to begin with? The right to bear arms for protection is one of our most important freedoms. [email protected]

No NRA member has ever been involved in a mass shooting
You only need look back at the most recent significant mass shooting to disprove this one.

The 19-year-old accused of killing 17 people at a Florida high school Wednesday was reportedly a member of the school’s marksmanship team, which received grants from the National Rifle Association (NRA).
source

So the NRA bankrolled this killer so he could become an even better shot. So much for your declarations.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
*backs out of thread slowly

"NRA Member" now means "anyone who has participated in any program the NRA has supported"?

If you want to argue that the distinction doesn't matter for purposes of the argument, go ahead, but it seems weird to act like this is a definitive debunking, without making any acknowledgement of the difference or offering any attempt to explain it.

Also, the "bankrolled" part is just pure rhetoric. By that logic anyone who's committed a crime on government assistance was "bankrolled" by the government (or, ya' know, us). Terms like "bankrolled" should be reserved for giving funds to a specific individual, directly and purposefully, not anyone who may have taken advantage of some freely or easily accessible program.

The point is the NRA funded the program in which this kid was enrolled and through which he learned to become a better shot. And then he shot people with those skills. So the notion, as the poster implied, that the NRA is unconnected in any way to any shooting in the country's history is disingenuous at best. And certainly disgusting NRA propaganda considering how their policies have helped CREATE the kind of run away madness we are living in now. It amounts to citing a technical loop hole to avoid any responsibility and then bragging about it.

And last I checked my tax money doesnt go to funding 'ammunition stamps' or classes on how to make meth. I know, I know... "Sheer hyperbole". But my tax money being spent on feeding poor people doesnt go directly to teaching poor people to commit murder. It might feed or house them. But I dont think thats the same thing. Whereas teaching a future shooter to shoot better is a more direct relationship I think. Not that theres anything necessarily wrong with funding marksmanship programs, but dont act like they have no connection to this issue at all.

Just to clarify. Did Laurence offer any explanations as to how he seems to know for sure that: "No NRA member has ever been involved in a mass shooting."?

Maybe that doesn't make him a a card carrying member. It doesn't make him nothing tho, either. Right? I'm not really trying to pick a fight here. I just find it interesting that your feathers ruffle at I.Rex's post but not the original claim. A claim that to me, is ridiculous and like Rex said, pretty easy to disprove. Even if the kid from the latest shooting isn't an official card carrying member of the NRA. That was just from Wednesday.

By the way, Adam Lanza and his mother received official NRA certificates for their involvement in pro-gun action (the mother) and for both of them participating in NRA endorsed shooting events. Is that also a perfectly fine loop hole that allows the NRA to declare they are free and clear of ANY connection to Sandy Hook?

latest shooting in Texas, 10+ dead

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/05/18/u...ing/index.html

A male suspect, believed to be a student, has been arrested in the shooting, and a second person -- also believed to be a student -- has been detained as well, Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said.

Obviously the tenor of this discussion is going to change with the Santa Fe shootings, but I do want to put it out there that NRA members, by in large, are good people. Trying to go down the route of going after members is going to be a crap-shoot.

The disastrous part of the NRA doesn't really lie in its membership, it lies in the fact that it operates on two drastically different levels: as a special interest with a large group of voluntary members (with whom I disagree, sure, but this is just another group of citizens with a common purpose) and as a corporate lobbying group for gun manufacturers (who hide their influence behind the first part).

Obviously, there are convenient alliances in many associations where dedicated people's interests will align with a particular industry, but there's no other group that has merged those two levels to the degree that the NRA has (I'm open to being disproven on this) and it creates problems because it allows the corporate influence of the gun manufactures to be effectively "laundered" through the special interest side.