The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries

→ in
Tools    

Sure it does.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

People who don't like films like Rear Window or Vertigo (which I think is more popular on this forum, by the way), and even things like the Fifties in general, how... I don't understand, I feel sorry for these people. Oh well, I sound like a broken record because I say this stuff every time, but it's worrying to see the attitude of people on here as we go further back, even with documentaries less people are excited

I don't know if that makes any sense. I just watched The Walk and realized how much better a film Man on Wire was, so I wanted to use it somehow.

I sent in my list, and I didn't find it hard at all to create. But unfortunately this does look like it could be a bust. Definitely will probably be a top 50

Seriously. Two weeks to go. No action in the thread. One list submitted.
Give us a few extra weeks. I am watching some documentaries but because of my play 4 and the fact that all my favorite documentaries were series I wasn't able to send in a list.

Also, in the spirit of Christmas I have decided partial lists will be accepted. It's a minimum of 10 and they will not be allowed until after the new year. Try and watch some more, and if you have some that you like but don't feel like they're "list worthy" add them anyway - you still like them and it doesn't matter if they're list worthy or not because this is supposed to be your "top 25 documentaries" and not "top documentaries that you think deserve to be placed on an all-time list."

The thing is -- what do you watch?

I mean, I don't want to watch a bunch of documentaries and they DON'T show up on the countdown because nobody else watched them. This is a frustrating idea for a countdown. Nobody knows what are considered THE BEST documentaries.

Like, people can usually know what films are considered the best of the '90s -- AT LEAST PEOPLE THOUGHT THEY KNEW WHAT PEOPLE SHOULD VOTE FOR. Nobody knows what to put on their list for this. Or what to watch. And not all the documentaries out there are interesting. That's why this countdown has been a failure. It's just not fun enough.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
The thing is -- what do you watch?

I mean, I don't want to watch a bunch of documentaries and they DON'T show up on the countdown because nobody else watched them. This is a frustrating idea for a countdown. Nobody knows what are considered THE BEST documentaries.

Like, people can usually know what films are considered the best of the '90s -- AT LEAST PEOPLE THOUGHT THEY KNEW WHAT PEOPLE SHOULD VOTE FOR. Nobody knows what to put on their list for this. Or what to watch. And not all the documentaries out there are interesting. That's why this countdown has been a failure. It's just not fun enough.

I just watch documentaries that interest me, and I don't worry about whether or not they'll make the countdown.

I do the same thing for the decades lists. I watch movies that sound like my kind of movies, and I don't care whether or not they make the countdown. I'd rather find a few new favorie movies that didn't make the countdown than watch a bunch of movies that are considered great, but I think that they're just okay, just because other people love them.

Why would it matter if you watch a great documentary and ithe doesn't make the official list? Doesn't impact the power of the viewing

Excellent! Two more lists and I've submitted mine also so we stand at a grand total of four, but we're on our way.
Damn, the state of this list is worse than I thought.

I'll make sure to get a list in too, Lime.