My Most Hated Television Characters List

Tools    

Finally another character from a TV show I've seen. I think that makes three.

I loved the Ropers on Three's Company but Ralph Furley, was completely annoying, and not funny.

Sue Sylvester, Glee

Actress Jane Lynch brilliantly brought to fruition this larger than life character who, for the most part, was straight up evil. Sue was the high school gym teacher who also coached the school's cheerleading squad called the Cheerios. Sue made it her mission in life to destroy Spanish teacher turned glee club director Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison) and his young band of singer/dancers. When Will was originally short of the required number of members for a school club, she had the club shut down and procured their rehearsal space for the Cheerios. When some of the Cheerios wanted to join the glee club, Sue demanded that they choose the glee club or the Cheerios. She would steal Glee club playlists and send them to competing schools and had an affair with the school principal (Iqbal Theba) and then blackmailed him into giving the glee club budget to the Cheerios. She had nasty nicknames for most of the glee club members. She loved to call Kurt (Chris Colfer) "Porcelain" because he was gay. Sue showed a human side with her treatment of a mentally challenged student named Becky (Lauren Potter) who she treated like a queen because it was revealed that Sue had a mentally challenged sister who was institutionalized and Sue visited on a regular basis, but the good was definitely outweighed by the evil with Sue Sylvester.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

Sue Sylvester, Glee

Actress Jane Lynch brilliantly brought to fruition this larger than life character who, for the most part, was straight up evil. Sue was the high school gym teacher who also coached the school's cheerleading squad called the Cheerios. Sue made it her mission in life to destroy Spanish teacher turned glee club director Will Schuester (Matthew Morrison) and his young band of singer/dancers. When Will was originally short of the required number of members for a school club, she had the club shut down and procured their rehearsal space for the Cheerios. When some of the Cheerios wanted to join the glee club, Sue demanded that they choose the glee club or the Cheerios. She would steal Glee club playlists and send them to competing schools and had an affair with the school principal (Iqbal Theba) and then blackmailed him into giving the glee club budget to the Cheerios. She had nasty nicknames for most of the glee club members. She loved to call Kurt (Chris Colfer) "Porcelain" because he was gay. Sue showed a human side with her treatment of a mentally challenged student named Becky (Lauren Potter) who she treated like a queen because it was revealed that Sue had a mentally challenged sister who was institutionalized and Sue visited on a regular basis, but the good was definitely outweighed by the evil with Sue Sylvester.

I hated Jane Lynch as Sue Sylvester on "Glee", but I loved her as Charlie's therapist on "Two and a Half Men".

Thelma Frye, Amen

This character not only redefined the word "obnoxious", but set the Women's Movement back about 500 years. Played by a dreadful actress named Anna Maria Horsford, Thelma was the daughter of lawyer and church deacon Ernie Frye (the late Sherman Hemsley) whose mission in life was to marry the church minister, Rev. Reuben Gregory (Clifton Davis). Thelma did not work, didn't have any friends, any hobbies, any interests at all except Rev. Gregory. It didn't help that Horsford screamed all of her lines at the top of her lungs. This character made my head hurt.

William Lewis, Law and Order SVU

He only appeared in a handful of episodes, but there's no way I could complete this list without including this sick, evil psychopath. Pablo Schreiber was robbed of an Emmy nomination for his bone chilling work as a serial rapist who was into raping older women. He used to burn his hands on a stove so that police could never take his fingerprints. He manipulated his gullible young attorney (Lauren Ambrose) into thinking he was in love with her and after she would get him off, he would go off and rape other women. After raping a 60 year old bird watcher (Judith Ivey) who witnessed him raping another woman, he was acquitted of the crime when he murdered the woman before she could testify against him. Needless to say, Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay) became so obsessed with bringing this guy to justice that when he got out of jail again, he somehow broke into Olivia's apartment and was waiting for her when she got home. He kidnapped her, poured vodka down her throat and tortured her for two days before she finally escaped, but had to kill him to do it. The whole William Lewis episode was so traumatic for Olivia that it sent her into therapy. The William Lewis story arc was so harrowing, that when I caught a rerun of it recently, I had to turn it off more than once and kept turning it back on. It was that difficult to watch.

Dr. Alfred Bellows, I Dream of Jeannie

This guy made me absolutely nuts. Dr. Bellows (Hayden Roarke) was a colonel and NASA psychiatrist who spent WAY too much time snooping into the life of Maj Anthony Nelson (Larry Nelson) the handsome young astronaut whose life was complicated by his very own genie (Barbara Eden). I posted the shot I posted because this was easily the most annoying thing that Dr. Bellows would do...he was always walking into Maj Nelson's house without knocking on the door or ringing the bell, like he had the right to do that.

William Lewis, Law and Order SVU

He only appeared in a handful of episodes, but there's no way I could complete this list without including this sick, evil psychopath. Pablo Schreiber was robbed of an Emmy nomination for his bone chilling work as a serial rapist who was into raping older women. He used to burn his hands on a stove so that police could never take his fingerprints. He manipulated his gullible young attorney (Lauren Ambrose) into thinking he was in love with her and after she would get him off, he would go off and rape other women. After raping a 60 year old bird watcher (Judith Ivey) who witnessed him raping another woman, he was acquitted of the crime when he murdered the woman before she could testify against him. Needless to say, Olivia Benson (Mariska Hargitay) became so obsessed with bringing this guy to justice that when he got out of jail again, he somehow broke into Olivia's apartment and was waiting for her when she got home. He kidnapped her, poured vodka down her throat and tortured her for two days before she finally escaped, but had to kill him to do it. The whole William Lewis episode was so traumatic for Olivia that it sent her into therapy. The William Lewis story arc was so harrowing, that when I caught a rerun of it recently, I had to turn it off more than once and kept turning it back on. It was that difficult to watch.
Everytime I see him on the episodes he's on especially the first one he's in, he gives me this sort of Tom Cruise vibe lol.

You should make a Most Loved Tv Show characters, it would be nice to see who you pick if your planning on making one

Judith Harper, Two and a Half Men

Some may question the high rating of this character, but there aren't a lot of TV characters who aroused pure feelings of hatred from the second I laid eyes on her and that never changed. A lot of characters I've hated have had some element of sympathy infused into their characters at some point, but that never happened with this one. Judith was a straight up bitch. Judith (Marin Hinkjle) was the nasty ex-wife of Alan Harper (Jon Cryer) and mother of his son, Jake (Angus T. Jones) who after divorcing Alan, did nothing but sit on her ass around the house all day and wait for Alan's alimony and child support checks to arrive. It was never made clear what Judith did with all this money, but she was at Alan's doorstep every time his check was two minutes late and whenever she would ask Alan to pay for something involving Jake and he would tell her that was supposed to be paid with Jake's child support, she would threaten to call her lawyer and Alan would cave. She was clearly spending Jake's child support on herself and no one was calling her on it. She used to rag on Charlie (Charlie Sheen) for flaunting his wild lifestyle in front of Jake, even though Charlie was pretty much raising the child. Judith taunted Alan every time he would try to start a new relationship. She wanted nothing to do with Alan but didn't want any other woman to have
him either. After a stab at lesbianism and a second failed marriage, Judith fell back into bed with Alan and they fathered a second child, but Judith made him keep the true paternity of the child. How Alan never murdered this woman was a mystery to me.

Since my #1 is probably a given by now, I would like to take the time to acknowledge a few honorable mentions in this category.

Frank Burns (Larry Linville), MASH
Alan Harper (Jon Cryer), Two and a Half Men
Ralph Malph (Donny Most), Happy Days
Brenda Walsh, (Shannen Doherty), Beverly Hills 90210
Arnie Thomas (Tom Arnold), Roseanne
Sgt. Vincent Carter (Frank Sutton), Gomer Pyle, USMC
Howard Borden (Bill Daily), The Bob Newhart Show
Arnold Drummond (Gary Coleman), Different Strokes
Col. Flagg (Edward Winter), MASH
Ellis Grey (Kate Burton), Grey's Anatomy
Frank Fazio (Phil Foster), Laverne and Shirley
Cyrus Beene, (Jeff Perry), Scandal
Dr. Jo Wilson (Camilla Luddington), Grey's Anatomy

Drum roll please...and now...my most hated TV character ever, the Tv character who every time he appeared made me want to go screaming from the room:

Judith Harper, Two and a Half Men

Some may question the high rating of this character, but there aren't a lot of TV characters who aroused pure feelings of hatred from the second I laid eyes on her and that never changed. A lot of characters I've hated have had some element of sympathy infused into their characters at some point, but that never happened with this one. Judith was a straight up bitch. Judith (Marin Hinkjle) was the nasty ex-wife of Alan Harper (Jon Cryer) and mother of his son, Jake (Angus T. Jones) who after divorcing Alan, did nothing but sit on her ass around the house all day and wait for Alan's alimony and child support checks to arrive. It was never made clear what Judith did with all this money, but she was at Alan's doorstep every time his check was two minutes late and whenever she would ask Alan to pay for something involving Jake and he would tell her that was supposed to be paid with Jake's child support, she would threaten to call her lawyer and Alan would cave. She was clearly spending Jake's child support on herself and no one was calling her on it. She used to rag on Charlie (Charlie Sheen) for flaunting his wild lifestyle in front of Jake, even though Charlie was pretty much raising the child. Judith taunted Alan every time he would try to start a new relationship. She wanted nothing to do with Alan but didn't want any other woman to have him either. After a stab at lesbianism and a second failed marriage, Judith fell back into bed with Alan and they fathered a second child, but Judith made him keep the true paternity of the child. How Alan never murdered this woman was a mystery to me.
I completely agree about Judith. I hated her so much that she might even be #1 on my list. I don't think she had even one redeeming quality.

Since my #1 is probably a given by now, I would like to take the time to acknowledge a few honorable mentions in this category.

Frank Burns (Larry Linville), MASH
Alan Harper (Jon Cryer), Two and a Half Men
Brenda Walsh, (Shannen Doherty), Beverly Hills 90210
Sgt. Vincent Carter (Frank Sutton), Gomer Pyle, USMC
Howard Borden (Bill Daily), The Bob Newhart Show
Arnold Drummond (Gary Coleman), Different Strokes
Col. Flagg (Edward Winter), MASH
Ellis Grey (Kate Burton), Grey's Anatomy
Cyrus Beene, (Jeff Perry), Scandal
Dr. Jo Wilson (Camilla Luddington), Grey's Anatomy

I disagree with a few of your honorable mentions.

While I don't think they're the best characters on their shows, I liked Alan Harper and Ralph Malph. They both had some annoying qualities, but overall they were fun characters who I don't think deserve to be on a "hated characters" list.

And I loved Howard Borden and Col. Flagg. Howard Borden was such a lovable goofball that I can't even understand how he could be hated. And Col. Flagg was one of my favorite characters on "MASH". I always loved seeing him show up because he was so much fun, and I wish he was on more episodes.

Actually we don't have a clue what your #1 Most Hated TV character is?

Screech Powers, Saved by the Bell

This choice can't be much of a surprise to anyone. Not only is this the most annoying television character I have ever encountered but I'm pretty sure this role destroyed the career of the actor who portrayed him. Dustin Diamond stunk up the place as the nerdy high schooler who was a whiz in the classroom, so smart that he was class valedictorian but was so desperate for genuine friendship that he built himself a friend, a robot he named Kevin. Zack Morris (Mark Paul Gosselaar) was his best friend on the surface, but Zack used Screech when he needed him. His obsession with Lisa Turtle (Lark Voorhees) was online with stalking and the character was the butt of everyone's jokes. On the other hand, all of the main characters needed him at some point for their own selfish motives, and the boy was just too much of a social moron to see it. This character was asked to ridiculous and embarrassing things that would have sent most actors running for the hills, but Dustin Diamond seemed to embrace it. Unfortunately, after the show went off the air, Diamond was unable to find work because everyone saw him as Screech. Except for the occasional appearance on exploitative crap like Celebrity Boxing, his career dried up and even ended up doing some jail time after a fight in a bar.

Hope someone enjoyed the list.

Screech Powers, Saved by the Bell

This choice can't be much of a surprise to anyone. Not only is this the most annoying television character I have ever encountered but I'm pretty sure this role destroyed the career of the actor who portrayed him. Dustin Diamond stunk up the place as the nerdy high schooler who was a whiz in the classroom, so smart that he was class valedictorian but was so desperate for genuine friendship that he built himself a friend, a robot he named Kevin. Zack Morris (Mark Paul Gosselaar) was his best friend on the surface, but Zack used Screech when he needed him. His obsession with Lisa Turtle (Lark Voorhees) was online with stalking and the character was the butt of everyone's jokes. On the other hand, all of the main characters needed him at some point for their own selfish motives, and the boy was just too much of a social moron to see it. This character was asked to ridiculous and embarrassing things that would have sent most actors running for the hills, but Dustin Diamond seemed to embrace it. Unfortunately, after the show went off the air, Diamond was unable to find work because everyone saw him as Screech. Except for the occasional appearance on exploitative crap like Celebrity Boxing, his career dried up and even ended up doing some jail time after a fight in a bar.

Screech is a good choice, but I think he's more "annoying" than "hated". He's just a nerd who got picked on a lot, even by his friends, but he didn't really do anything so terrible that people should hate him.

Unlike a couple of others, I was pretty sure what #1 was going to be. My only doubt was that it could be someone from a show I didn't watch (as was often the case on this list for me) but once he got to #1 it had to be Screech just because I remember Gideon ranting about him on another list. I have to be honest and say he doesn't annoy me that much, even though you do want to shake the stupid out of him sometimes. I prefered him to Slater who, for me, was just a pointless, jock meathead for the most part, though I accpet was needed for 'the gang'.

Of the honourable mentions I'd disagree with Brenda (while completely acknowledging she's sheilded by being played by Shannen Doherty who I still fancy) and Cyrus Beene, who was just wonderfully evil and, possibly, my favourite character in the whole thing. Though that does get easier once we enter the whole B613 period which I nearly gave up on the show as it was just too stupid.

I can see why people (you) don't like those characters, but why Arnold in Diff'rent Strokes? Maybe it's later episodes, which I remember even less well than the rest, but I'd still be surprised if I saw it now and was annoyed by him.