Computer Repair n Tips

Tools    

Basic rule of ease thumb, least in these here parts: Gamers............. avoid Macs....graphic artists, ...........especially in motion....have to have a Mac.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Perhaps that is true about the motion part, but I've seen Windows applications stand up quite well in many of the (non-moving) graphics arts.

Because of earlier choices they made, Apple still has about a single-digit percentage of the personal computer market. That's bound to have its down sides.

I would take one percent of a billion dollar market....

Seriously though on a personal level I like Windows PC's over Macs.
The cost of repair work if you can even find a place who services them is about twice as much as a PC. The biggest problem for Macs: The world is comfortable with Windows, security flaws and all. Computers have become such a large part of most of our lives and our lives are fast paced. Who has the time or patience to learn a new operating system when the one we have does what we need it too? When I say new, I mean new to the user not new in general. Hybrid machines are definitely possible and are becoming more mainstream, the best of both worlds is a good thing. At the end of the day however Macs are tedious to the everyday end user. This only applies to those of us who are used to Windows though because a serious Mac user knows what they got. Bottom line, use whatever you like and what suits your needs. If it does what you want and does it well, nothing I or anyone else says really matters. I love computers and the tech world in general and know that the next few years are going to be great for us geeks.

Lets put a smile on that block
Thanks for all your help guys. Ive read what all of you have said and its made my nipples hard with excitement. I think i am going to go with the MAC. I do enjoy a change of scenery, and im willing to try the new operating system, Windows ahs always been fine, but variety is the spice of life and i like to experiment so im gonna give it a go. Will deffo look into upgrading the RAM tho. I dont really play many PC games, mostly just console stuff. but it is nice to know that i could have a computer that can handle a good game when it comes out.

Thanks for the advice! Now if i can only stop bleeding from my eye sockets over the price of the thing....

Well its done! Bought myself the new intel iMac today. It hurt, but me oh my i think it will be worth it. turned out to be a pretty good deal in the end. I got paid two pay packets this week as ive recently changed jobs, so i had more money in my bank than i ever have before, so i paid for the whole thing outright instead of financing which was the original plan. Plus my friend got Ł150 knocked off as well as she gets discount. And Pop Pop Blib said he would donate some funds God love him. But now i will just live on beans for the rest of the year. but its ok, i like beans. And i can make them look good on the Mac! Hopefully it should arrive by Monday, so i will be foaming to get it up and running.

Who here actually uses a mac? you do OG? And doesnt Taccy? Sedai? Get them in here. Once ive got it gion no doubt i'll have some questions for you guys for the best this and that to get. One of the big ones being spyware. I need the cheapest, and best one available...if it even exists.

And please dont no one mention any kind of universal fault that happens within a mac that you have neglected to tell me. I would return to the shadows of my soul and never come back. Until Christmas or my Birthday...probably just the weekend to be honest.

The Adventure Starts Here!
Good for you for buying it outright!

I've used Macs at work for decades, but prefer PCs (I'm cheap) for home use. Universal fault? I don't think Macs have a universal *anything*, do they? (ducking)

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by blibblobblib
Well its done! Bought myself the new intel iMac today. It hurt, but me oh my i think it will be worth it. turned out to be a pretty good deal in the end. I got paid two pay packets this week as ive recently changed jobs, so i had more money in my bank than i ever have before, so i paid for the whole thing outright instead of financing which was the original plan. Plus my friend got Ł150 knocked off as well as she gets discount. And Pop Pop Blib said he would donate some funds God love him. But now i will just live on beans for the rest of the year. but its ok, i like beans. And i can make them look good on the Mac! Hopefully it should arrive by Monday, so i will be foaming to get it up and running.

Who here actually uses a mac? you do OG? And doesnt Taccy? Sedai? Get them in here. Once ive got it gion no doubt i'll have some questions for you guys for the best this and that to get. One of the big ones being spyware. I need the cheapest, and best one available...if it even exists.

And please dont no one mention any kind of universal fault that happens within a mac that you have neglected to tell me. I would return to the shadows of my soul and never come back. Until Christmas or my Birthday...probably just the weekend to be honest.

Ahhh Captain Blibbwash is a guy after my own heart! Cash in the bank = being able to buy something nice and expensive.

I've used but never owned a Mac and as I've started building my own PCs the day will probably never come. They look sexy though.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Ahhh Captain Blibbwash is a guy after my own heart! Cash in the bank = being able to buy something nice and expensive.
You and I speak the same language my friend. Savings? BAH!

On a side note, anyone know of a good browser to use for Macs? Or is it best to stick with Firefox?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
You and I speak the same language my friend. Savings? BAH!

On a side note, anyone know of a good browser to use for Macs? Or is it best to stick with Firefox?
The Safari browser should do the trick, but Firefox is always loved...

Its here! Man everything has never looked better! Absoloutly loving it so far, although i will admit its really hard getting used to, although i think i can figure it out. Im using Safari for now to browse MOFO etc, but i may go abck to firefox if it doesnt work out. The harderst part is trying to find the mac versions of every programme i need.

I really need a good virus protector for it, can anyone recommend a good one?

Also i cant get hold of DIVX player for the mac, anyone know how to get hold of it? I can only find the divx converter

Plus, im loving MSN messenger on it, but i cant use the awsome camera for web chats, it doesnt seem possible with the MAC MSN messenger.

Ho hum, small prices to pay i guess

Its here! Man everything has never looked better! Absoloutly loving it so far, although i will admit its really hard getting used to, although i think i can figure it out. Im using Safari for now to browse MOFO etc, but i may go abck to firefox if it doesnt work out.
I found it difficult initially...but after time it becomes second nature.

Have you added new widgets and seen the ripple effect yet? I could do that all day long.

Originally Posted by Ophelia
Have you added new widgets and seen the ripple effect yet? I could do that all day long.
Oh yes. Its truly wonderful. Ive put little postit notes on there, rippling all over the place. I like the little remote control thingy. So pretty!

I have another question. Me and Doris are getting on great, and now im gonna have some more time to spend ON her and here again, id like to change my avatar, but i have no idea how on a MAC. It doesnt have a picture edit programme on it. Anyone have any ideas other than photoshop?

I feel V has had his day.

I have another question. Me and Doris are getting on great, and now im gonna have some more time to spend ON her and here again, id like to change my avatar, but i have no idea how on a MAC. It doesnt have a picture edit programme on it. Anyone have any ideas other than photoshop?

If you go to Appleworks, you have an option for 'painting', you can edit pictures there. Its similar to what is available on windows. Um, I at least think that is how I edited my avatar. Hope that helps.

If you go to Appleworks, you have an option for 'painting', you can edit pictures there. Its similar to what is available on windows. Um, I at least think that is how I edited my avatar. Hope that helps.
Actually Ophelia, I dont think it is...you can only save as a .cwk there. Again you have shown you have no idea what you are talking about, but at least you tried to help. You can only try. *pats head*

Ok....open a picture through preview and you can edit it there. Voila. I knew I made my avatar on this thing somehow. Just use your view, zoom, tools etc. Um. K.

Ground Control To Major Thom
Ok....open a picture through preview and you can edit it there. Voila. I knew I made my avatar on this thing somehow. Just use your view, zoom, tools etc. Um. K.
You are getting good at this

Ophelia, Ophelia and Ophelia, thanks for all you gals trying to help but WOE WOE WOE i just cant get it to work. I can only crop and zoom in on preview. If i crop the avatar i want any further i'll only have a pixel left. I need some sort of re-sizing doo hicky. but not cropping. Any idea what its called on preview?