A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

The Head Hunter would’ve been perfect if they had been able to do a better climactic battle. The build up is brilliant and just my bag. Very respectable given the micro budget. I want more movies like this.*

Belzebuth starts so dang strong that I was loving it. Then Talking Jesus happened and it felt like a very different, much less interesting movie.*

On a personal note, I did my backyard movie theater for the premier of Chateau Lune. Those there (and other friends and family that watched) seemed to really enjoy it so that’s a lot of anxiety gone. When it gets an on demand link, I’ll post it here.
I liked the climax of Head Hunter. It was appropriate for the size and type of movie they were making and reminded me a lot of Evil Dead.

I liked Belzebuth all the way through. The moment you mentioned is definitely a turning point in the film but I was on board with it. And I was not expecting
WARNING: "Belzebuth" spoilers below
the second half being about smuggling baby Jesus across the border.

But I was down for that too.

On a personal note, I did my backyard movie theater for the premier of Chateau Lune. Those there (and other friends and family that watched) seemed to really enjoy it so that’s a lot of anxiety gone. When it gets an on demand link, I’ll post it here.
Please do, I was digging it but after about an hour I lost my valiant battle with Mr Slumber.
Were you involved in the writing too?

A system of cells interlinked
It's Halloween, everyone! Time for some horror films. For my family, that means our favorite Halloween anthology films to start...

Scary Stories to tell in the Dark and Trick r Treat are up first!

Please do, I was digging it but after about an hour I lost my valiant battle with Mr Slumber.
Were you involved in the writing too?
Yup! My writing partner and I sorta took over the show for that episode. We had nothing to do with the subsequent episodes which were filmed months before we got involved at all, so we had no input on characters, casting, setting, premise, network, etc.

But once they asked if we wanted to work on it and they dug our scripts, they asked us to write a new pilot and I ended up directing and editing the thing too.

I'm playing a much bigger role in crafting the next 6 episodes (we've written scripts for Night of the Living Dead, which got us hired, and Little Shop of Horrors. We also did a rewrite of Curse of the Swamp Creature). That is, if the show continues after these initial 6. Those decision are not mine to make but I'm hoping to start prepping to make my werewolf flick, A Bad Night in Talbot sometime next summer.

I liked the climax of Head Hunter. It was appropriate for the size and type of movie they were making and reminded me a lot of Evil Dead.

I liked Belzebuth all the way through. The moment you mentioned is definitely a turning point in the film but I was on board with it. And I was not expecting
WARNING: "Belzebuth" spoilers below
the second half being about smuggling baby Jesus across the border.

But I was down for that too.
I dug the Evil Dead vibe but just wish it was MORE. I wanted to see the initial fight with the creature that led to that element.

Heh. Yeah. Shudder originals are far more interesting and quality that most seem to realize, even before Host showed up and made a huge splash.

So anyway, back to Roberta Findlay...

A telling sign you are not watching a good movie is that your eyes begin to focus on the particles of dust floating in front of the screen. Then you pick crust off your cat's chin and throw it towards your television to mix things up. Then you double your usual THC dosage to see if you can imagine having heart palpitations. And you still aren’t having any fun.

I don’t know what really happened in this. It was hard to pay attention as I contemplated such thoughts as “Is that James Gandolfini? I know it isn’t, but let’s imagine it is for a second. What’s he doing in this awful movie? I should probably watch The Sopranos at some point. My feet are cold. Damn you, James Gandolfini! Fetch my slippers”

As it turns out, much of Prime Evil’s story will turn out to be told by the mouths of characters I wasn’t listening to. Somehow, I missed everything they were telling me about their allegiances to Satan and could hardly keep up with who was on Team Hell and who was on Team Priestly Virtue as the exposition dumps came with such frequency.

Sometimes I would actually get a glimpse of what was happening on screen around the sudden obstruction of my cat sitting in front of me. Chip eating at the gym. Middle aged men with side parted hair styles wearing glasses. Suspenders engaged in the age old struggle to keep up pants. Maybe some Satanists in hooded bathrobes. “But how ‘bout this ass”, purred my cat, looking back at me, confident I’d never seen anything quite like it. I shrugged in indifference. Such is the fate of someone who will clearly watch whatever is put in front of him

Then, just when we think nothing is ever going to happen, the Devil gets stabbed in the dick and the movie ends.

As the credits began to roll, I seemed only to have learned one thing here. Director Roberta Findlay is not nearly as infallible a director as her previous work would suggest. As a result my world has begun to cave in, its gravitational pull having turned against itself, leaving only a crumb shaped hole in the cosmos that others can one day stare at and contemplate “Why exactly am I staring at this”. Just as I once wondered on a similarly pointless night, watching the dust settle and waiting for my slippers to be retrieved any moment now.

In regards to TCM, I have learned to love to hate Franklin.
WARNING: spoilers below
His is the most satisfying death though. It's almost worth tolerating his squeal throughout just to enjoy that sound there at the end.

Event Horizon is a vastly better movie than its reputaiton suggests, even without the, what, 15 minutes of gore? that are missing. The ending is not as silly as I remembered, and the only terrible thing in it is the goofy-ass sound effects during the last fight.

3.2/10

I probably need to stop drinking tequila.

My take is that he's a dark comic relief character. His wheelchair often prohibits where he can go and often leads to various mishaps (the opening where he falls down the side of a hill, how he can only stay in the first floor of the house from the scene I posted upthread while the others have a blast upstairs, or even
WARNING: spoilers below
the ending where he's completely powerless against Leatherface when he's killed).
Overall, I do kind of like this aspect of the film. It's all secondary towards what I love the most about the film, but I do appreciate the occasional bits of humor. His acting in the scene I linked up above is too much though (although, I do like how he bangs his leg on a wall during his fit of anger). If this aspect was cut, I don't think much would be lost, but other than the scene I linked upthread, I don't think it gets in the way of the film.
I read that Tobe Hooper's intention was to make a kinda "dark horror comedy"*, as opposed to a full "horror" film, which might be why one can get that "dark humor" vibe from Franklin's character. But other than that, and perhaps the final dinner scene (in a bizarre, twisted way), I don't think that "dark humor" vibe got across that well. My point with Franklin is more to the fact that he doesn't seem to be written nor portrayed as an empathetic character. Not that he needs to be, but in a film with barely any emotional connection to any character, it seems like an odd choice.

* They say that's why he directed Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 the way he did. He went full-on comedy with that one.

Franklin is the worst and a large part of why I thought I hated the film when I first watched it. He's the Willie Scott of TCM.

A few thoughts about Brain Damage.

Brian : No way! It's not gonna happen again!
Aylmer : What isn't?
Brian : Killing people!
Aylmer : Oh. [laughs] I thought you meant getting high!
Brian : We can't keep killing people every time you're hungry!
Aylmer : Oh yes we can. We'll do anything I want us to do. You're mine now, Brian. I *own* you...

I think about this exchange a lot. It's up there in terms of lines from films that pop into my head. Not in terms of substance abuse, something I've never dealt with personally, but in terms of patterns or routines in my life that I can't seem to shake.

The obvious allegory to take from Brain Damage is one of drug addiction. And in the film Brian is literally addicted to the strange blue fluid that Aylmer (the droll, phallic monster that attaches himself to Brian) injects into his brain. It gets him high, and if he goes without it he suffers painful withdraw symptoms.

But watching the film again Thursday evening, I was struck by the way that the dynamic between Brian and Aylmer feels a lot like an abusive sexual/romantic relationship and how the relationship between Brian's girlfriend and Brian's brother serves as a foil. My thoughts on this are still kind of disorganized, but here we go.

Aylmer finds his way to Brian because his current caretakers (an elderly couple who live in Brian's building) aren't allowing Aylmer enough control. They feed him animal brains, which dulls his abilities. Aylmer seems to have a much easier time controlling Brian. When they are together, and specifically when Brian is under Aylmer's spell, he isn't even aware of what is happening. And he's okay with this ignorance, until one night he finds the bloody evidence of one of Aylmer's murders. It's a very common trope in horror for a main character to transform and have no memory of his/her actions (think . . . every werewolf movie ever), but what's interesting here is that Brian's situation is not one in which his "animal" nature is being unleashed or some subconscious part of him is coming out to do harm. Aylmer is a distinct character from Brian, despite Aylmer's insistence that "I am you". Aylmer, in fact, really seems to insist on that understanding: that he and Brian are a team and not separate. "Us." "We." He works very hard to erase Brian's identity as an individual independent of Aylmer.

Then there's the way that many of the shots of Aylmer injecting Brian are shot. Let's set aside the aspect of penetration, because that goes hand-in-hand just as easily with the idea of intravenous drug use/abuse. This time I was struck by at least two different scenes in which Brian gets dosed by Aylmer as he stands with his face pressed against the wall. As Brian moans and leans into the wall, there's no way around a sexual reading. It just straight up looks like someone is having sex with him from behind.

When it comes to actual sex in the film, I had forgotten about a sequence that I really loved the first time I saw the movie. The "stand out" sex sequence in the film--the one that gets all the loving screencaps and leering comments--is the one in which a woman takes a high Brian into a back alley for some action (and I'd forgotten just how non-consensual this scene is--when Brian begins to pass out she just, like, props him up against a wall. Very uncool, punk club lady!). When she unzips Brian's fly, Aylmer lunges out and into her mouth, eating her brain through her soft palate as she struggles against Brian's body. An oblivious Brian moans in pleasure while she flails in agony, until finally Aylmer retreats back into Brian's pants, trailing a grisly mouthful of the woman's brains. It's easy to see why this scene--which is at once funny, sexually explicit in its imagery, gory, and intensely uncomfortable--is the one that sticks with you. But later in the film there's another sex scene, the one that really caught my attention this time around.

See, as Brian sinks further and further under Aylmer's thrall (growing both more addicted and more distraught about what's happening when he's high), Brian's girlfriend, Barbara, and his brother, Mike, grow closer and closer together. It's an incredibly organic and believable development. It begins with Mike (who clearly already likes Barbara) taking her to a concert when Brian is sick. But Barbara and Mike begin to turn to each other out of mutual concern for Brian. (Two quick side notes: (1) Great casting with Mike, who looks like he could be related to Brian and (2) One of the film's only missteps is in having Barbara assume Brian is cheating on her when he is OBVIOUSLY dealing with either mental health or drug issues). Late in the film, believing Brian to be gone, Mike and Barbara have sex with each other in Mike's room. It's a subdued sex scene--quiet and slow and tender and very different from the loud, passionate, frenzied sex you usually see in horror movies. In the next room, Brian's scrambled imagination turns this into a fantasy that begins with Mike, Brian, and Barbara, and then morphs into just Brian and Barbara . . . and then Brian eats Barbara's brains. The sexual/romantic aspect of Brian's mind has become warped into something violent and destructive. The film gives a lot of time, relatively speaking, to what happens between Mike and Barbara. And their gentle, burgeoning relationship stands in direct contrast to the manipulative dynamic between Aylmer and Brian.

I do still think that the overarching film leans more toward a reading involving substance abuse. I'm not suggesting that there's necessarily an alternate reading--just that this time around I felt like I saw more than just the perils of addiction. This viewing (which I think is my third full viewing) I really noticed the nature of the relationships and, for a movie about a talking penis monster, the sensitivity and nuance used in the development of the Mike/Barbara relationship.

Anyway--this movie continues to grow in my regard for it. Despite the many visual gags, the comedic monster design, and so on, it always strikes me as a deeply tragic movie. At its center, it refuses to reduce any of its main characters to a joke or demean them. I find the movie very funny ("The blood came from the girl whose brains I sucked out." "You sucked out her brains?!" "Yeah, right through her mouth." "Is she dead?" "Of course she's dead. What, are you kidding?"), but I also feel very moved by its final act.

I read that Tobe Hooper's intention was to make a kinda "dark horror comedy"*, as opposed to a full "horror" film, which might be why one can get that "dark humor" vibe from Franklin's character. But other than that, and perhaps the final dinner scene (in a bizarre, twisted way), I don't think that "dark humor" vibe got across that well. My point with Franklin is more to the fact that he doesn't seem to be written nor portrayed as an empathetic character. Not that he needs to be, but in a film with barely any emotional connection to any character, it seems like an odd choice.

* They say that's why he directed Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 the way he did. He went full-on comedy with that one.
Yeah, agreed. I don't think the dark humor was baked into the film enough for his character to work as well as he could've. While Franklin isn't my favorite part of TCM, I do appreciate some of his mishaps though. Like, I wouldn't mind if they were removed, but, save for the scene I posted upthread, I don't find them distracting, per se, so there's that, As dark humor, they work well enough, I suppose. Part of this may be because I rarely pay attention to acting.

Guru, the Mad Monk - It's like a junior high drama department put on their own unhinged version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Provided they were, you know, huffing oven cleaner. 20/100

If you overlook the cruelty of it, the grandpa and hammer scene in TCM has exceptional comic timing.

I don't see Franklin as a particularly comic character though. His presence just ups the aggravation already present with the heat and lack of accomodations and all that murder going round. I don't think the audience despising your comic relief is how that works.

3.2/10

I probably need to stop drinking tequila.
What dat? Looks like it was pulled directly from my dreadful Halloween line up.

And everyone needs to stop drinking tequila. I hate it even more than Franklin.

The dinner scene and the interactions between the family have a sitcom quality for sure.

Franklin falling while taking a leak is a rare moment of levity in the film.

The dinner scene and the interactions between the family have a sitcom quality for sure.

Franklin falling while taking a leak is a rare moment of levity in the film.

That is a good moment. Especially when he throws his bottle of piss in the air as he falls. That is admittedly some Buster Keaton level physical comedy there.

I was wrong

Then, just when we think nothing is ever going to happen, the Devil gets stabbed in the dick and the movie ends.
I was going to say, "Yes, I just watched this recently and it was terrible!", but then I realized I watched Eternal Evil, not Prime Evil.

If you overlook the cruelty of it, the grandpa and hammer scene in TCM has exceptional comic timing.
Oh definitely, which is why I brought up the bizarre nature of it. I've read how the participants are meant to evoke a "stereotypical" American family: the father, the "mother", the "annoying teenager". The dark humor is definitely there, even if it doesn't ultimately "work" as humor. For me, it's more bizarre, uncomfortable, and unsettling, and that's part of the reason why I love it so much.