A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

MKS, what show is it? what channel/network/service?

A system of cells interlinked
Hey y’all. How ya doing?

This premieres tonight. So... Watch it? I’d appreciate that. Or don’t and lie to me that you thought it was great fun. Either way is cool.
Hello and welcome to Movie Forums!

Hey y’all. How ya doing?

This premieres tonight. So... Watch it? I’d appreciate that. Or don’t and lie to me that you thought it was great fun. Either way is cool.
I mean, is it any good? We've got high standards you know.

So anyway, back to Roberta Findlay...

If any of you have a bit of free time to cram something else in your Horrorcram, then check out a special episode of my podcast, Thief's Monthly Movie Loot, dedicated to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre; specifically one scene from it.

Thief's Monthly Movie Loot - Special Episode II (The Texas Chain Saw Massacre)

Enjoy

EDIT: You can also listen to it on Spotify
Nice podcast. I didn't think much about the slaughterhouse aspect to the violence, but you make a good point with it. I might try to rewatch TCM at the end of this month. I'm a bit behind on my horror write-ups, but I might still be able to do it regardless.

I also agree with you on the repetition of certain scenes. Pam falling into the room of bones, in particular, is a fantastic moment. It constantly hints towards imminent violence and each prolonged shot only serves to amplify that feeling to the point it wears you down.

Hey y’all. How ya doing?

This is the only scene in TCM which I don't like:

Like, I appreciate the dark humor involving Franklin, but his acting in this scene has always been much too ridiculous for me. Other than that, however, the film ranges from great to perfect.

Nice podcast. I didn't think much about the slaughterhouse aspect to the violence, but you make a good point with it. I might try to rewatch TCM at the end of this month. I'm a bit behind on my horror write-ups, but I might still be able to do it regardless.

I also agree with you on the repetition of certain scenes. Pam falling into the room of bones, in particular, is a fantastic moment. It constantly hints towards imminent violence and each prolonged shot only serves to amplify that feeling to the point it wears you down.
Thanks. As I was editing the episode, I wished I had said more about the use of sound and music. The sound in particular in that scene with Pam is spectacular.

So anyway, back to Roberta Findlay... ...Melissa George
Ah, yes, back to Melissa George. Great call!

Hello, MKS! Glad to have you here.

Where do you watch the episode? I may not get to it tonight, but I'll certainly do so this weekend.
I’m trying to talk the producer into hosting it somewhere. Apparently, this Nudu channel wants to host it (we don’t have a contract or anything so I’m not sure if the agreement as I am not involved in that side of it at all) but it should be streamable at Nudu.tv or their app in the near future but I do not have a date.

Subsequent episodes will air each Friday at 10pm for the next six weeks but I had next to nothing to do with them as they were already filmed before I came on board to give them a stronger pilot.

I’ll try and keep y’all updated on it. Just excited to say I did something that was technically on tv.

So anyway, back to Roberta Findlay...
I gave myself a few consistent giggles while working on it. I think that answers the question!

Hello and welcome to Movie Forums!
Howdy! Not sure if you’re an RT or Corrie refugee. If so, nice to see you again! If not, nice to meet ya!

Howdy! Not sure if you’re an RT or Corrie refugee. If so, nice to see you again! If not, nice to meet ya!
A 17 year vet of this here forum extending a welcoming handshake.

If you have any questions, just hit up myself or another mod/admin, and we will do our best to help out.

Good to meet you as well!

This site has a fairly robust feature set. Have fun exploring and interacting!

This is the only scene in TCM which I don't like:

Like, I appreciate the dark humor involving Franklin, but his acting in this scene has always been much too ridiculous for me. Other than that, however, the film ranges from great to perfect.
I'm not sure what to think about the characterization. I mean, Partain's performance is purposefully annoying and obnoxious, to the point that he was even "method acting" for it. And then there are the resentments between him and Sally, which you can see in that scene. But ultimately, what I take from it is that none of their issues matter because they're pushed aside by a more raw instinct for survival. Everything else becomes trivial.

But yeah, I agree. That's probably my main nitpicky gripe with the film.

A 17 year vet of this here forum extending a welcoming handshake.

If you have any questions, just hit up myself or another mod/admin, and we will do our best to help out.

Good to meet you as well!

This site has a fairly robust feature set. Have fun exploring and interacting!
Fantastic! Didn’t know a forum could last that long!

I'm not sure what to think about the characterization. I mean, Partain's performance is purposefully annoying and obnoxious, to the point that he was even "method acting" for it. And then there are the resentments between him and Sally, which you can see in that scene. But ultimately, what I take from it is that none of their issues matter because they're pushed aside by a more raw instinct for survival. Everything else becomes trivial.

But yeah, I agree. That's probably my main nitpicky gripe with the film.
My take is that he's a dark comic relief character. His wheelchair often prohibits where he can go and often leads to various mishaps (the opening where he falls down the side of a hill, how he can only stay in the first floor of the house from the scene I posted upthread while the others have a blast upstairs, or even
WARNING: spoilers below
the ending where he's completely powerless against Leatherface when he's killed).
Overall, I do kind of like this aspect of the film. It's all secondary towards what I love the most about the film, but I do appreciate the occasional bits of humor. His acting in the scene I linked up above is too much though (although, I do like how he bangs his leg on a wall during his fit of anger). If this aspect was cut, I don't think much would be lost, but other than the scene I linked upthread, I don't think it gets in the way of the film.

EERIE TALES (1919)

Attempted to watch this the other night but as it turns out, having a category 2 hurricane pummeling your house is kind of distracting, so I didn't get to finish and barely paid attention to what I did see. So this isn't a review, just some thoughts.

I've got a soft spot for horror anthologies, for better or worse, and this is the earliest I've heard of. (only learned about it in the past week) There's a framing device in which three portraits that adorn the walls of an old book shop come to life after hours and read some of the books in the shop. These characters are The Devil, Death, and...The Flirt (?). There's 5 stories including one from RL Stevenson and The Black Cat by EA Poe. (This makes my NINTH version of The Black Cat that I've watched this month.) This is the only segment that registered with me, just because my familiarity with the story made it easier to follow given my less-than-rapt attention. Kind of wimped out on the ending- we see the cat emerge from the wall but never see the wife inside- but it adds a marital-infidelity angle that would also be used in Corman's/Matheson's Tales of Terror. Makes me wonder if this was the inspiration for that.

But what I really want to talk about is Conrad Veidt and why he should be mentioned more often in the Horror Icon conversation. His roles as Cesare and Gwynplaine should be reason enough for inclusion, but even in less famous roles he can be one creepy SOB. (See photo above). In 1920 FW Murnau made an unauthorized version of Jekyll & Hyde (Der Januskopf) starring Veidt in the title role and BELA EFFING LUGOSI in a supporting role. That film is lost, much to my eternal chagrin. I wonder if, had the "monster kids" of the 50s and 60s had access to that film, Veidt would be more prominent among horror fans and would be mentioned more often alongside Chaney, Karloff, etc.

I watched The Head Hunter, about a monster slayer in medieval times. This was real good. The minimalist style and 70 minute runtime go a long way towards telling this simple story with a probably modest budget. While not a video game-y movie it did remind me a lot of games like The Witcher, Monster Hunter, and God of War.

I also watched Belzebuth. Yo this movie is ****ed up.

Both these flicks were pretty metal. \m/

I watched The Head Hunter, about a monster slayer in medieval times. This was real good. The minimalist style and 70 minute runtime go a long way towards telling this simple story with a probably modest budget. While not a video game-y movie it did remind me a lot of games like The Witcher, Monster Hunter, and God of War.

I also watched Belzebuth. Yo this movie is ****ed up.

Both these flicks were pretty metal. \m/
The Head Hunter would’ve been perfect if they had been able to do a better climactic battle. The build up is brilliant and just my bag. Very respectable given the micro budget. I want more movies like this.*

Belzebuth starts so dang strong that I was loving it. Then Talking Jesus happened and it felt like a very different, much less interesting movie.*

On a personal note, I did my backyard movie theater for the premier of Chateau Lune. Those there (and other friends and family that watched) seemed to really enjoy it so that’s a lot of anxiety gone. When it gets an on demand link, I’ll post it here.