John Mctiernan's Predator

→ in
Tools    

I have yet see an action film with the intensity, rewatchability, and atmosphere, the use of music is incredible, the soundtrack, as this down right classic scifi action, die hard most probably because of john mctiernan

What can we call properties that have so many badly received and unsuccessful sequels or reboots? "Zombie franchises" maybe?

Predator was great. Predator 2 at least tried to do something different by placing the action in a city but I think the subsequent sequels were too much in awe of the original film. I haven't seen The Predator.

I'm just thinking about the Hulk as well. Two basically failed films and the character only survives on screen thanks to being part of the Avengers.

Welcome to the human race...
Just seems like you've bumped a few threads with a copypasted "Disney Is Rebooting [20th Century Fox-owned property] Franchise" post without any sources so I naturally question the veracity of the claims beyond the seemingly obvious assumption that Disney will reboot whatever franchises it's acquired in the Fox takeover.

Why does everyone hate on Predator 2? I like the fact it's in a different jungle. Ok Glover isn't a physical presence like Arnie, but it's a good sequel for me, it adds to the mythology but not too much so there's still a mystery to their species. Maybe if the Alien skull wasn't on the wall then there'd be no AvP's....

Actually, yeah, f**# Predator 2

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
The best thing about Predator 2 is the Busey.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think one of the reasons the sequels fail is the predators all look, dress, and act the same, even though they are all suppose to be different. With the Alien sequels it makes sense cause the Aliens are naked and suppose to be much more primitive and animal like, but these predators are suppose to have more distinct personalities, yet they all fall under the same stereotype of themselves, if that makes sense?

Why does everyone hate on Predator 2? I like the fact it's in a different jungle. Ok Glover isn't a physical presence like Arnie, but it's a good sequel for me, it adds to the mythology but not too much so there's still a mystery to their species.

Predator 2 is more like a greatest hits of late 80's action supporting roles, Glover and Busey from Lethal Weapon, Paxton from Aliens, Conchita Alonso from The Running Man, Davi from Die Hard all playing character pretty similar to those films plus the Predator himself and a plot with hard ass cops dealing with south American druglords.

The concept of setting Predator 2 in a city isn't a bad one, it's more that the story it's trying to tell in that setting is kind of inert. Both the first two films a huge chunk of their running time before the main characters even realise they're dealing with a Predator, but the first film actually keeps it interesting by taking the time to develop its characters and also have a balls-out action setpiece. Predator 2 attempts something similar but not as well (plus it's already showing you scenes of the Predator killing gangs and such so there's no point in pretending there's any real mystery to the proceedings anyway) and as such you're kind of left waiting for the main characters to catch up. For comparison's sake, you have Predators where the characters are immediately launched into a mysterious situation (parachuting onto an alien planet with no memory of how they got there) or The Predator where the main character meets a Predator in the very first scene and has to figure out how to deal with it and the government agents trying to keep him silent.

You could argue the mystery in Predator 2 isn't really the existence of the monster but rather how he views Glovers character and indeed the government agents trying to capture him. Generally though I'd say its a film more concerned to thrills than it is building tension.

Perhaps. I've seen the movie at least twice and yet I can barely remember anything about it outside of a handful of moments. I think I prefer AvP - more of that sticks, at least.

Perhaps. I've seen the movie at least twice and yet I can barely remember anything about it outside of a handful of moments. I think I prefer AvP - more of that sticks, at least.
Perhaps because so many elements of it feel like their lifted from other films of that era? not so much that's specifically memorable in the film itself, maybe the King Willie character, the Predator using the bladed frisbee like weapon and the Alien skull in the ship at the end?

I find its a film that's become more watchable in retrospect though, elements that seemed a bit clichéd and worn out at the time now feel like a nice alternative to modern action cinema.

You could say the same for Robocop 2 around the same time, neither film has as strong a sense of drama/focus as the first instalments and neither are massively original but they are both very dense in terms of characters/set pieces/design work(both feel like their made with a love for the action genre IMHO) and have a cynical anti authority edge to them.

(plus it's already showing you scenes of the Predator killing gangs and such so there's no point in pretending there's any real mystery to the proceedings anyway) and as such you're kind of left waiting for the main characters to catch up.
I think calling the film Predator 2 is more to blame

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Predator was really good and one of Arnold's best. Only saw Predator 2, for sequels, and AvP. They were both okay, but not very memorable, as I only bothered to watch them once.

I like Predator 2, don't love it like Predator1 but it's not bad in my book.
I second this.

Am yet to see Predators. I saw the most recent one and liked it, though it can't touch the first one for me. Film is subjective, and we all have our tastes, but the first one will prob be always my favorite.

Predator 2 is more like a greatest hits of late 80's action supporting roles, Glover and Busey from Lethal Weapon, Paxton from Aliens, Conchita Alonso from The Running Man, Davi from Die Hard all playing character pretty similar to those films plus the Predator himself and a plot with hard ass cops dealing with south American druglords.
Predator 2 came in 1990