Question about movie that contained scenes with aliens.

Tools    

Hey guys I'm new here I actually thought I'd never come across a place like this but I'm so glad now that I did, I'll try to give the best description possible just going by memory.

Ok so I found myself reminiscing about a movie which I literally only saw a snippet of back when I was a kid basically, I thought I'd try my luck and see if anyone could help me with the title.

The reason why I didn't watch it*untill the end is because it turned out to be a horror movie which I was totally unaware of and as soon as one specific scene played I literally NOPE'd the fu*k out of the room and couldn't sleep the same day, bare in mind I was probably around 16-17 back*then, and was easily scared. Okay so the scene was basically as follows;*

A person, not sure if it was a woman or a man, can't*remember due to the time that has passed since, looks at a painting, not sure if it was a large painting or hand held, and begins to observe, the scene was built In a way that forbid the whole painting to be revealed to the viewer and only portions of the painting were exposed as the observer's eyesight was exploring it bit by bit.*

The painting contained scenes of ancient, supposedly European people, judging by their attires, probably from the 1500-1600's doing normal everyday activities from the lifestyle that was available back then, while this was being shown to the viewer, a very melodic, slow and low-key evil theme was playing, the theme then slowly but somehow at the same time rather abruptly turns into something far more sinister and evil as more is being exposed in the painting and that was a landed alien space ship with some aliens outside of it either trying to make contact with the locals OR terrorizing, killing and torturing the locals, not sure which one of the two it was.*

And this is where I literally got scared beyond belief and ran into the other room, cause I couldn't handle the combination of the foreboding theme and drastic change of the painting's genre

This feels a bit like Passage to Zarahemla (2007) to me, though there aren’t any aliens there... I suppose if it was the 4th Indiana Jones movie, you’d remember? Also, the usual question around here - when we’re you a kid, to get a better idea of the time frame?

Oh yes ! I guess it would've been helpful to mention what year it was when I was considered a kid lol, okay so I'm 27 now, and when I saw this movie it couldn't have been later than 2007-2009

A good portion of people here guessed the supposed year which I am astounded by ! Thank you so much guys and keep the suggestions flowing !!

I will announce it I had found it.

P.S. Edited my supposed age back then, guess I wasn't that* young after all, like I sait it was a long time ago.

Okay guys still nothing I'm afraid, either by coincidence or not, I stumbled upon a picture online which VERY much resembles the painting in question's style, the above description stays the same, below is the picture, you can already sort of tell it's kind of freaky,

If you have any questions just shoot.

Like I said this picture resembles to a very high degree the style of the painting, atleast from what I can remember. It could very well be even the picture itslef that would be one crazy luck if it is lol

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Okay guys still nothing I'm afraid, either by coincidence or not, I stumbled upon a picture online which VERY much resembles the painting in question's style, the above description stays the same, below is the picture, you can already sort of tell it's kind of freaky,

Like I said this picture resembles to a very high degree the style of the painting, atleast from what I can remember. It could very well be even the picture itslef that would be one crazy luck if it is lol
You might use keywords: art from medieval, middle ages, 1400/1500s, christian, byzantine, romanesque, or gothic. Something before renaissance. Or movies with... one of those keywords to see if you can sort any flicks that highlight a painting in those styles.
  • Also, can you recall if the movie was a rental or a movie channel like HBO/Cinemax/etc., or maybe basic cable?
  • Was it horror? Or perhaps something else that just happened to frighten you? Like maybe a documentary?
  • I'm trying my best to think of any science fiction that references a painting. Maybe Stargate (1994) but it referenced hieroglyphs mostly and Egyptian culture and wouldn't have had that style of art.
  • I THINK Prometheus had a sort of mural on a wall inside an alien structure, but that was 2012.
  • Outlander (2008), maybe?

Search "alien movie invasion medieval time" or variations of it. That might give you a few rabbit holes to chase

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

The drawing is known as "medieval marginalia". I don't know if that's truly what you saw in your movie, but it might help you find it.

If that is what the artwork looked like, it would be older than the 1500-1600, this looks more like the 1200s or a bit earlier or later.

You might use keywords: art from medieval, middle ages, 1400/1500s, christian, byzantine, romanesque, or gothic. Something before renaissance. Or movies with... one of those keywords to see if you can sort any flicks that highlight a painting in those styles.
  • Also, can you recall if the movie was a rental or a movie channel like HBO/Cinemax/etc., or maybe basic cable?
  • Was it horror? Or perhaps something else that just happened to frighten you? Like maybe a documentary?
  • I'm trying my best to think of any science fiction that references a painting. Maybe Stargate (1994) but it referenced hieroglyphs mostly and Egyptian culture and wouldn't have had that style of art.
  • I THINK Prometheus had a sort of mural on a wall inside an alien structure, but that was 2012.
  • Outlander (2008), maybe?

Search "alien movie invasion medieval time" or variations of it. That might give you a few rabbit holes to chase

Hey there !

Okay so I'm going to attempt to answer your very valid questions.

* basic cable

* Not sure if it was a horror movie by default, it could have very well been just one scene that spooked me the f out ! The description in the OP stays the same.

The movie's universe was set in modern days as far as I could remember, like I said, the observer begins to explore the painting and slowly but surely gets to the alien part as mentioned in the OP and this is when it became unbearable to watch, either because of the music or the scenery.