MoFo Top 100 Horror Movies: The List

→ in
Tools    

Diabolique is on my 100 but I don't think of it as horror so it didn't make my list for this. Great film, though. Not seen Sinister (it's made after the early noughties, so there's little chance of me seeing it ) Have but have not seen It Follows (again, C21st horror, but I do at least want to see it) I had The Skin I Live In recorded for ages but had to delete it. I'd like to see it sometime. I like Wait Until Dark but, again, wouldn't think of it as horror. Ages since I saw it too. I know it has big fans here, but Army Of Darkness gets a at best from me. Again, only saw it once though, when it came out, but none of The Evil Dead are really my thing and I don't understand the love for Bruce Campbell. Not that I dislike him, just don't get it.

"Oh, really, a standing ovation? You people are too kind. Please, sit down. You're embarrassing me.

Before I officially unveil our next film, I'd like to thank a few people for making this possible. First and foremost, the director himself, Rob Zombie. Thank you for giving my family and I the chance to shine on screen and share our exploits with the rest of the world. I want to thank Baby, Otis, Tiny and the rest of the Firefly clan. Love you guys with all my blackened heart! To all the people we've murdered along the way, thank you for your sacrifice!

@cat_sidhe, please stop trying to look up my dress!

None of this would be possible without our wonderful, cool-ass host, @Nostromo87. Thank you for taking on the time-consuming task of accumulating our ballots and presenting us with the results. I feel like you've helped inject some much needed life back into the forum with this countdown. Each day I look forward to seeing the newest unveilings.

I am forever indebted to @cricket and @Derek Vinyard for getting this film on the countdown. And to everyone who didn't vote for it, lock your doors and bar your windows, because my family and I are coming for you!

Drumroll, please . . ."

The Devil's Rejects (2005)
Runtime: 1 Hour 47 Min
Production Company: Cinelamda
Distributed by Lions Gate Films
Director: Rob Zombie
Production Budget: $7,000,000
Box Office: $19,400,000
Three Votes
(24, 24, 19)
High Voter: @Captain Spaulding; @cricket

"Without a doubt, Captain Spaulding has surpassed me in the pantheon of scary clowns. His performance will never be topped."
-- Pennywise

"It saddens me to know that I never made a film half as great as Rob Zombie's The Devil's Rejects."
-- Alfred Hitchcock

"Satan may have rejected them, but I accept these degenerates with open arms. Papa and I watch this horror classic every Sunday. Tutti-f**kin'-Frutti!"
-- Jesus Christ

HELL DOESN'T WANT THEM
HELL DOESN'T NEED THEM
HELL DOESN'T LOVE THEM

The Devil's Rejects was my #7

Badass flick with great characters and a great soundtrack.

When we first saw it at the midnight showing, my wife liked The Devil's Rejects more than I did.

2. The Devil's Rejects (#74)
5. Kill List (No Show)
8. The Last House on the Left (#90)
9. Near Dark (No Show)
22. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (#84)

Oh my gawd, my face made the list, I'm terrified. Now I've gotta watch the film, as I really dug House Of 1000 Corpses when watching last year.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_onbhl9Zhm11uijsn1o1_540.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	52833   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_onbhl9Zhm11uijsn1o2_540.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	52834   Click image for larger version

Name:	tumblr_onbhl9Zhm11uijsn1o3_540.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	52835  

I did not for vote it, but Devil’s Rejects is a solid exploitation grindhouse-ish flick, which may be Zombie’s best example of actually “getting it right” when it comes to this certain style of which he constantly seems to aim for but never quite get. This one though I feel like he captured it.

Grande Entertainment Spaulding, ya bastard! Attaboy, pleased it was very UNIQUE as well.

Onibaba (1964)
Runtime: 1 Hour 42 Mins
Production Company: Kindai Eiga Kyokai
Distributed by Toho
Director: Kaneto Shindo
Five Votes
69 Points (24, 15, 13, 11, 6)
High Voter: @the samoan lawyer

Hikaru Hayashi Onibaba Theme
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Onibaba 73.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	52836  

Onibaba was one of my highest priorities when it came to getting watches in before the deadline. But I never got even one watch in, so yeah... I still really want to see it though. I’ll try to get it watched in the near future.

I forget why exactly I watched Onibaba. Perhaps for the 60s Countdown? But it was one Cricket recommended. A very unique and well crafted film. I had intended to rewatch it for this, but never got to it. I still felt it was deserving of a place on my ballot and I had it at #15. Perhaps it would've ranked higher if I had gotten around to that rewatch, but c'est la vie.

My Ballot:
2) Army of Darkness (#77)
4) The Skin I Live In (#80)
15) Onibaba (#73)
25) Earthlings (1 pointers list)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I'm a big fan of The Devil's Rejects, but it didn't make my list. I found House of 1,000 Corpses to fit the 'horror' bill more than the sequel, but it is still a great flick. Without a doubt, Zombie's best.

Haven't seen Onibaba.

Suspect's Reviews

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Do your worst Captain. You're much better here than you were in House of 1000 Corpses but I still didn't vote for you. Onibaba is a wacko film which got my attention the first time I saw it. It was so strange and unique but such a visceral experience that I didn't care if I couldn't always tell what was going on and why. It was so super-freaky that it must have been one of Rick James' favorites. Very good but didn't quite make my list.

I finally got around to watching Onibaba for the Countdown, but I was quite disappointed with it. Years of hearing praise for the film probably set it up for failure. It didn't really feel like a horror film to me either, since those elements were incredibly downplayed in favour of its drama, which didn't appeal to me that much. It's definitely a well made film, and I think if I rewatch it in a few years with lower expectations, I might appreciate it more.

The Devils Rejects isn't really my style of horror film, so it wasn't in contention for a spot on my list either. Seeing Captain Spaulding's presentation and enthusiasm for the film does make me want to revisit it though. Excellent job!

Seen: 19/28
My List: 2

02. Re-Animator (1985) - #88
18. It Follows (2014) - #78
25. The Void (2016) - DNP/1 Pointers List

I've seen The Devil's Rejects when it was new but honestly don't remember anything of it so I'm assuming it's not too memorable in any way. Rewatched Onibaba recently and I like the film quite a bit. Wouldn't necessarily call it horror though but more like drama that just uses lots of horroresque audio-visual tropes. Even if I'd count it as horror it still wouldn't have made my list but it's good nonetheless.