CiCi's Top 50 Horror Films!

→ in
Tools    

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Firstly, I'd like to thank MM for coming up with this idea for me to rip off.

But yes, Halloween is now somewhere on the horizon, and I probably won't be on as much as I am currently since I'm going to uni in just over a fortnight now! So before I go, I thought I'd do my own top 50 horror list.

Just don't expect it to be as comprehensive as MMs was, I'm not trying to outdo War & Peace

But, I'll start the countdown shortly!

50. Creep (Patrick Brice - 2014)
49. The Editor (Adam Brooks and Matthew Kennedy - 2014)
48. You're Next (Adam Wingard)
47. Saw II (Darren Lynn Bousman - 2005)
46. American Mary (Jennifer and Sylvia Soska - 2012)
45. Santa Sangre (Alejandro Jodorowsky - 1989)
44. Frontier(s) (Xavier Gens - 2007)
43. Inside (Alexandre Bustillo and Julien Maury - 2007)
42. Opera (Dario Argento - 1987)
41. Calvaire (Fabrice Du Welz - 2004)

40. I Spit on Your Grave - 1978)
39. The Crazies (Breck Eisner - 2010)
38. Ils (David Moreau and Xavier Palud - 2006)
37. The Bird with the Crystal Plumage (Dario Argento - 1970)

Will follow this thread for sure! should be interesting

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
50. Creep (Patrick Brice - 2014)

This found footage, low budget flick set in the middle of nowhere resulted in what is certainly up there with the most tense hour of my life, it's a slow burner, and takes a short while to get into, but is more than worth the wait in my opinion.

The film follows a videographer (if that's a word) named Aaron (Patrick Brice, who is also the producer and writer in addition to starring and directing. But this isn't a red flag like it usually is) who is hired to follow an enigmatic man named Josef, who lives in the wilderness, in order to video messages for his unborn son. But Josef's demands slowly become odd, he commands Aaron to film him naked in the bath, is repeatedly caught contradicting himself, and is reluctant for Aaron to leave when night falls, and then a whole lot more.

It's truly shocking, because it's actually quite original and refreshing. Josef is off his rocker, but he's highly perceptive and intelligent, and always manages to re-assure us and Aaron that he's just a little unstable, and lonely, but is desperate to change.

I don't want to give too much else away. But this is anything but a Blair Witch rip off like the vast majority of found footage films, and it isn't a cheap imitation of Psycho like most films with maniacal antagonists are.

49. The Editor (Adam Brooks and Matthew Kennedy - 2014)

This ode to European giallos that have long since died out is a rare breed of film to me. It's a horror-comedy I actually like it manages to spoof the giallo sub-genre with sardonic wit. The sometimes too obvious misogyny, over the top characters with even more ridiculous acting, and the just unbelievable circumstances are all put under fire here.

But it's stylish, violent, and the only modern giallo I can think of, so as much as it is a spoof, it's all tongue in cheek, and quite a nice love letter to the 70s. It also has Tristan Risk, and Laurence Harvey, both of whom are criminally under exposed. And both of them deliver here, and steal their respective scenes. Especially Ms Risk... who displays literally everything on various occasions!

i was really surprised by creep,great tension builder

WARNING: spoilers below
and omg when he blocked the door wearing that mask.....

Havent seent the editor

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Will follow this thread for sure! should be interesting
Why thank you! Hopefully I can deliver

I like this idea. It'll be interesting to see what makes your list, and maybe I can find some new films to set the mood for Halloween.
It isn't my idea I saw MM do it last year and always wanted to do one for myself and I'll do my best for ya!

Are you high?

Exclusive though, it won't be at the top

Glad to see you decided to do it
A few people gave me the thumbs up to do one, so I set it up! I'm actually quite excited!

I'll get to Creep some day; I've almost watched it several times.

I added The Editor to my watchlist, although the comedic aspect has my wary.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
Haven't watched either of those but i think Creep is still on Netflix so i'll try to get to it soon.
There's a few films called Creep out there! So be careful

And the next two shall be up in about an hour or so!

There's a few films called Creep out there! So be careful

And the next two shall be up in about an hour or so!
haha i know. I own this Creep -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creep_(2004_film)

Such a bad film but it has one of the best jump scares i've seen.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
I'll get to Creep some day; I've almost watched it several times.

I added The Editor to my watchlist, although the comedic aspect has my wary.
I wouldn't worry. I am the biggest hater of horror-comedies. It's the reason I've never really liked any of the Scream films. But I think you might like it, it criticises anything giallo related, like you!

I wouldn't worry. I am the biggest hater of horror-comedies. It's the reason I've never really liked any of the Scream films. But I think you might like it, it criticises anything giallo related, like you!
There are some pretty good horror-comedies out there, Housebound is a prime example. But I get the hatred for them, because if I'm honest, more times than not I tend to avoid the genre. That's because usually they're neither funny nor contain anything worthy of being labeled a horror anything. It often comes across as the genre for those either too lazy or afraid to make a serious horror film, so they can hide their incompetence behind "comedy". But even after that's all said and done, I wouldn't fully give up on horror-comedies because every now and then I come across a movie that masterfully blends the two genres. But if I absolutely had to choose, I'd prefer to see more serious horror films being made.

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
There are some pretty good horror-comedies out there, Housebound is a prime example. But I get the hatred for them, because if I'm honest, more times than not I tend to avoid the genre. That's because usually they're neither funny nor contain anything worthy of being labeled a horror anything. It often comes across as the genre for those either too lazy or afraid to make a serious horror film, so they can hide their incompetence behind "comedy". But even after that's all said and done, I wouldn't fully give up on horror-comedies because every now and then I come across a movie that masterfully blends the two genres. But if I absolutely had to choose, I'd prefer to see more serious horror films being made.
I couldn't have said it better myself!

I just think the two juxtapose each other too much to work well in unison. But The Editor was different mainly because it wasn't making many jokes, but it was just taking the piss out of horror tropes and poking fun at them in a subtle way. It wasn't forced, and I often feel that the humour often is shoved right into your face in horror-comedies, the tones of the genres are too far a part to make it look fluent or natural. So yeah, if I had the choice, I'd go for a more serious horror every time!

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
im looking forward to this list. Gonna give creep a watch soon.
Thank you! And it's just over an hour long as well, so it doesn't take too much patience to get into

Survivor 5s #2 Bitch
48. You're Next (Adam Wingard - 2012)

This one polarised opinions. And I was divided when I first saw it, but I always seem to keep on coming back to it. It's fun!

The plot was simplistic, the twist was pretty good, if predictable, and some of the actors should thank their lucky stars the Razzies avoided them that year. But once the action let rip, it remained consistently violent and bloody until the end. That, matched with the retro 80s esque soundtrack, and the intriguing direction made it extremely memorable. At its heart, it's also a bit of a love letter to the home invasion films of the 70s and 80s, but it adds to them. It recognises their silly faults and cliches, and demolishes them (quite literally in some cases). The little humour that was inserted didn't feel forced either. I just didn't find it funny really but that doesn't remove the rest of the many merits this film has.

So yeah, not the greatest horror film in the world, but it doesn't want to be. It's a modern take on the home invasion sub-genre and one hell of a ride!

47. Saw II (Darren Lynn Bousman - 2005)

My favourite film of the franchise, is ironically the one that wasn't intended to be part of the series. It was an attempt to ride off the success of the original Saw, but some producers liked what they saw in the script, and applied it to the series.

It's an intriguing set up. 7 criminals, most of them small time offenders, wake up in an abandoned house and are instructed to find the antidotes before the gas leaking into the house causes them to die horribly. It sounds awful when I summarise it like that, but this is another one that I just find a lot of fun. You end up rooting for a bunch of criminals, most of which end up more likeable than the police force trying to rescue them. The traps are wickedly sadistic here as well. Especially the needle pit (a homage to my fave Argento film )

I actually really enjoyed the twists here as well. It's hard to look back at this retrospectively when you consider the utter garbage that followed the first three films. But these plot twists worked here, and they made sense. The character evolution of Amanda was genius, yet was also authentic.

I was actually tempted to put Saw III in this place, but after watching both again, I can't get past some of the piss poor acting in 3. But I'll give that one a little shoutout since I'm talking about its predecessor