The Leftovers

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
I watched it. Not quite what I expected, but in some ways more interesting than my original concept.

I read a short review of the series written by someone who's also read the book who said that he thinks the series is going to be better because it's doing a good job of communicating the emotional tension, something the reviewer said was almost flat in the novel.

You ready? You look ready.
This show is dope, and that season finale. Woah. Probably the best hour of television this year.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I haven't caught up all the way yet. It's pretty good so far, though I'll admit I'm afraid it might get too hokey and spiritual if they try and take it too far. Love the tone though, really melancholy.

A system of cells interlinked
Been catching up on this over the past week or so. Interesting stuff. It's more of Lindeloff's cryptic business, so hopefully he doesn't crash and burn as the series finishes up in season 3. Some good performances all around here, which make this a nice watch. I loved the opening minutes of season 2, also.

Been catching up on this over the past week or so. Interesting stuff. It's more of Lindeloff's cryptic business, so hopefully he doesn't crash and burn as the series finishes up in season 3. Some good performances all around here, which make this a nice watch. I loved the opening minutes of season 2, also.
Is season 2 any good overall?

I tried watching this show. Thought it was pretty cool until that episode in the first season with the priest where it makes it clear it's going to be one of those "what is happening" shows with a million fan theories.

Nothing is explained...everything is explained.
A proper ending.
WARNING: "Ending" spoilers below
was Nora telling the truth or fibbing? Some thinking the ending too simplistic but I liked it

This might just do nobody any good.
WARNING: spoilers below
Seemed to me she was at the point of no return. I understand why people wouldn't want to take things at face value, though.

Regardless of wether or not she was lying, I think the message was clear: let go.

It's not beyond Nora's character to concoct a narrative to help herself to some closure, nor to pass it on to others. It works because it's a story to rally behind (which, depending on your view of the subject, ties finely with the Jesus storyline).

Does it matter how the birds came back, if they came back at all when you doubted their return?

Dove into this recently. Sadly, it was impossible not to know/see some things about the finale before doing so, but I'm hoping in the end what I know won't prove to sully it too much.

I'm about seven episodes into the first season and I'm pretty fully hypnotized, though. I expect to average a couple a day (and probably more on weekends) from now until it's done.

Oh, and THAT PIANO RIFF. Burrowed into my consciousness already. Running in my head throughout the day. Insta-poignancy when it fades in during any emotional climax (of which there are, like, two every episode). Gah.

That's great.

I think that's the string version, though. The one that sticks more for me is the piano version:

I'm a sucker for piano notes that just hang and reverberate in the air. I noticed a number of years back that an inordinate number of songs I liked, even like rock songs, featured the piano prominently.