Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
My favorites:

M.A.S.H.
Saving Private Ryan
Platoon
Born on the Fourth of July
Three Kings
Star Wars (it's got WAR right in the title!!!)

Umm...can't think of too many more. I'm actually more of a fan of anti-war movies, like M.A.S.H., Three Kings, or the recent No Man's Land (if you don't mind subtitles, this movie is very funny and extremely pointed).

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

All Quiet on The Western Front
Apocalypse now
Patton

others im sure but those stand out in my mind

The Future Ed Wood
heart of darkness is amazing. its really scary whenmartin sheen has a heart attack. they didnt thell the producers though as they were scared they would pull the plug in the film. i was given tigerland the other day by my boss, havnt had time to watch ot yet. anyone seen it?

Visit the best film forum on the web http://www.empireonline.co.uk/

Hey SB, have you seen an Australian film called The Charge of the Light Horse Brigade ?
The film recounts the successful charge of the Australian Light Horse Brigade against the Palestinian village of Bersheeba (heavily fortified by Turks) on 31 October, 1917.
It's IMHO, the best cavalry charge ever filmed. If you haven't seen it, rent it!

"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Do you mean The Charge of the Light Brigade, recounting the British involvement against Russians at the Battle of Balaclava on the 25th of October 1854, which led to The Crimean War?

There are two major versions of The Charge of the Light Brigade, the battle made famous throughout generations by Alfred Lord Tenneson's poem. The 1936 version was directed by Michael Curtiz (Casablanca, Yankee Doodle Dandy) and starred Errol Flynn and Olivia de Havilland. The second version was released in 1968, directed by Tony Richardson (Tom Jones, Ned Kelly) and starred Trevor Howard, John Gielgud and Vanessa Redgrave. The '68 movie is obviously more realistic in many ways - though both use a love story as a throyugh-line to the narrative and both alter History somewhat. But I've always preferred the '36 flick, even though it is dated as far as style and melodrama. But both are good films for what they are, and both stage brilliant recrations of the bloody battle as a finale.

Their's not to reason why
Their's but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to the right of them,
Cannon to the left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Strom'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I haven't seen it LS, no.
But I know all about such charges. Studied them and such.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Do you mean The Charge of the Light Brigade, recounting the British involvement against Russians at the Battle of Balaclava on the 25th of October 1854, which led to The Crimean War?
No, I don't. Damnit, my title is off but the subject is correct. The film recounts the successful charge of the Australian Light Horse Brigade against the Palestinian village of Bersheeba (heavily fortified by Turks) on 31 October, 1917. I know it's not Gallipoli, thought I had the title right but obviously...It's an Australian film made in the 80s, no big star in it. The movie was pretty boring, till the end when they yelled, "CHARGE!!!".

Fighting out of the Lions Den
Originally posted by LordSlaytan
Gallipoli
Gallipoli -What a great film-My favourite WW1 movie.

"What are your legs?..."Springs...Steel springs"
"What are they gonna do?"...."They`re gonna hurl me down the track"
"How fast can you run?"..."As fast as a leopard"
"How fast are you gonna run?"..."As fast as a Leopard!"
"Well lets see you do it!"

Oh, OK, you're talking about The Lighthorsemen (1987). You scrambled the two titles together, as I'm sure is evident now.

Peter Weir's Gallipoli is a terrific flick, though obviously not my favorite World War I movie ever (see Paths of Glory, All Quiet on the Western Front and Grand Illusion). It didn't make my top ten, but it'd be in my top twenty.

Originally posted by Holden Pike
Oh, OK, you're talking about The Lighthorsemen (1987).

Thank You!!! That's what I was trying to remember. I haven't seen it in many a moon.

mine are:

saving private ryan
we were soldiers
three kings
the guns of navarone
platoon
full metal jacket
apocalypse now
schindler's list
tora!tora!tora!
the bridge on the river kwai
the great escape
the dirty dozen

1. Full Metal Jacket
2. Platoon
3. Braveheart
4. Ran
5. Saving Private Ryan
6. Apocalypse Now
7. Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
8. Where Eagles Dare
9. The Train
10. Lawrence of Arabia
11. Tora! Tora! Tora!
12. Gallipoli
13. Glory
14. We Were Soldiers
15. Three Kings
16. Schindler's List
17. Kagemusha
18. The Throne of Blood (aka Kumonosu jo, aka Macbeth)
19. Patton
20. The Big Red One
21. The Burmese Harp
22. Paths of Glory
23. Das Boot

Whew! Big list, and those are just the ones I like or love!

I think I'm missing a few but this is all I can think of right now...

Braveheart
Saving Private Ryan
Kelly's Heroes
The Big Red One
Tora! Tora! Tora!
The Bridge over River Kwai
Platoon
Patton
M*A*S*H
Apocalypse Now
The Patriot
We Were Soldiers
Black Hawk Down
The Killing Fields
The Dirty Dozen
The Three Kings
Full Metal Jacket
The Longest Day
Good Morning Viet Nam
Glory

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

My favorite WAR movies (WWI, II etc) are:

Saving Private Ryan
Full Metal Jacket
Black Hawk Down
We Were Soldiers
Pearl Harbor (I like this movie!)
Hamburger Hill
The Thin Red Line (had some cool moments)

not in any specific order

Full Metal Jacket
Enemy At The Gates
Apocalypse Now
Saving Private Ryan
Behind Enemy Lines
Black Hawk Down

Apocalyose Now
"I watched a snail crawl along the edge of a straight razor. That's my dream, it's my nightmare. Crawling, slipping along the edge of a straight razor and surviving....But we must kill them, we must incinerate them, pig after pig, cow after cow, village after village, army after army, and they call me an assassin. What do you call it when the assassins accuse the assassin? They lie. They lie and we have to be merciful for those who lie, for those nabobs. I hate them. I do hate them."

When you have found perfection, you need not look further. The only movies to approach the surrealistic beauty of this film are Full Metal Jacket and The Deer Hunter.

high crimes- good movie!

1. Braveheart
2. The Last Of The Mohicans
3. Glory
4. We Were Soldiers
6. By Dawns Early Light
7. Platoon
8. Red Dawn
9. The Bridge On The River Kwai
10. Full Metal Jacket (The First Half of it anyway... )