Signs

→ in
Tools    

Yeah, I see your point. Despite what some newb claimed, I never said I wouldn't see this movie. I'm not sure yet.

Originally posted by firegod
Unfortunately, there are many gullible people like you that believe in crop circles, and I find that to be very sad. Maybe that is one of the reasons why I don't like the subject. *shrug*
What I find is sad friend, is that some people feel that they should close out all possibilities of ANYTHING unexplainable simple BECAUSE it is unexplainable. And worse would miss out on an evening of fine science FICTION veiwing because it dealt with a subject that they felt people shouldnt believe in.
And worse still, they feel need to degrade anyone whom also has not closed off themselves to the possibility as well.

Whether it be phenominon, religion, what ever...
just to say because "it cant be proven therefore it isnt" is sad. Not to mention all of the fantastic people THEY miss out on knowing simply becuase they didnt agree with that person's ideals and branded them as idiots or such.

There is alot more to this world then what has been PROVEN, but I dont think that makes me stupid or gullible because I am not positive on some things.

It makes me sad, to know that there really are some people in this world that take day to day for just that, and dont have faith in anything or HOPE for anything other then what their day to day life has become. I wonder what could happen to make someone truelly believe there is NOTHING going on around them other then what they see.

THAT makes me sad.

If what I wrote is alittle hard to comprehend, I apologize, sometimes my mind works a hell of a lot faster then these old fingers... and stuff just kind of comes out jumbled.

or perhaps it is my gullable ignorance.

hmmm...
such a deep topic from a product of fiction.
amazing.

How many people believe in time traveling cyborgs? Not too many.
That makes me sad because I am a time traveling cyborg.

Hasta la vista, baby.

See? I even write like one. Need anymore proof?

I'll be back.

Watch. You'll see that I'll be back.

Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK
And worse still, they feel need to degrade anyone whom also has not closed off themselves to the possibility as well.

I really don't think I degraded you until you degraded me; I degraded an idea in a MOVIE.

What I find is sad friend, is that some people feel that they should close out all possibilities of ANYTHING unexplainable simple BECAUSE it is unexplainable. And worse would miss out on an evening of fine science FICTION veiwing because it dealt with a subject that they felt people shouldnt believe in.

Whether it be phenominon, religion, what ever...
just to say because "it cant be proven therefore it isnt" is sad.

I never said anything like that, but if I am to believe that something exists, I have to have a good reason.

Not to mention all of the fantastic people THEY miss out on knowing simply becuase they didnt agree with that person's ideals and branded them as idiots or such.

Except for the idiots part, this description sounds an awful lot like YOU.

It makes me sad, to know that there really are some people in this world that take day to day for just that, and dont have faith in anything or HOPE for anything other then what their day to day life has become.

I have hope for something better; EXCUUUUUUUSE me for not agreeing with you on heaven, if that is what you are referring to.

I wonder what could happen to make someone truelly believe there is NOTHING going on around them other then what they see.

Obviously Ii believe there are things going on around me that I can't see; I'm going to assume you aren't being very literal. I'm so sorry that my lack of belief in anything spiritual, magical or superstitious bothers you so much. When I find good reason to believe in something like that, I'll let you know.

THAT makes me sad.

No. What makes you sad is trying to pick a fight with someone just because they think an idea for a movie is a silly one.

hmmm...
such a deep topic from a product of fiction.
amazing.
You're the one who made it deep. I was just bashing a movie premise I thought to be silly. Nothing too deep there. But deep is often good, even when pertaining to movies, don't ya think?

Except for the idiots part, this description sounds an awful lot like YOU.
I am not missing out on anything friend, because I dont care what you thnk or believe. Your mind is you own fill it how ever you choose. I dont judge you for what you believe, but I will stand up and say something when you call me names and/or insuate at my stupidity.

No. What makes you sad is trying to pick a fight with someone just because they think an idea for a movie is a silly one.
No fight picking intended. but offended alittle @ the whole I'm gullible remark. Very offended. Sad? no, Offended yes.

But deep is often good, even when pertaining to movies, don't ya think?
Absolutly, that is why I want EVERYONE to see this movie. Even you....

eh-heh-heh....

Dont not see the movie because it's about crop circles, because it is, BUT it isnt.... Dont see it cause you hate Mel Gibson or something...but dont NOT see it just for that. You would miss out on a good movie.

No fight intended....
I am "Sign'd out for today".

Hi folks. I just wanted to say that I'm back, and the future was horrible! As you know (but some of you don't believe it), I am a time traveling cyborg. I first discovered that there will be a Signs 2 coming out in 2006, starring Pee Wee Herman and Shirley McClaine! There's a very disturbing love scene between them in a crop circle. Then, because of the money it will make from that, there's going to be a Signs 3 in 2010, starring Michael Jackson as an alien and a hot newcomer babe named Beverly Frydo who plays a crop circle expert.

But the really scary thing about the future is that in 2012, they're going to make a sequel to Battlefield: Earth. We're doomed!

Do you believe in time traveling cyborgs now?

Originally posted by FiLm Fr3aK

No fight picking intended. but offended alittle @ the whole I'm gullible remark. Very offended. Sad? no, Offended yes.

I thought you were taking a few stabs at me, so I thought it would only be polite to return the favor.

Originally posted by Jason
Hi folks. I just wanted to say that I'm back, and the future was horrible! As you know (but some of you don't believe it), I am a time traveling cyborg. I first discovered that there will be a Signs 2 coming out in 2006, starring Pee Wee Herman and Shirley McClaine! There's a very disturbing love scene between them in a crop circle. Then, because of the money it will make from that, there's going to be a Signs 3 in 2010, starring Michael Jackson as an alien and a hot newcomer babe named Beverly Frydo who plays a crop circle expert.

But the really scary thing about the future is that in 2012, they're going to make a sequel to Battlefield: Earth. We're doomed!

Do you believe in time traveling cyborgs now?
Lol. That is frigging hilarious.

I thought you were taking a few stabs at me
I would NEVER stab you in PUBLIC...
I would politely pm you and it would more then likely start off with "you suck" since that IS my favorite phrase... LOL...

POINT....
I WOULD NEVER STAB YOU IN PUBLIC.

*Steals all sharp instruments from FF*
Fair enough...

**hides nail file DEEP in purse.**

What's more hilarious is that Michael Jackson's crop circles are actually on his face. They're the scars that the doctors leave after they crop off some of his skin.

*grabs reins*

I'm getting this thread back on the road. Surely a flick as cool an interesting as Signs provides us with more on-topic courses of conversation, yes?

Guy
I'll probably end up seeing SIQNS twice this summer. From the trailers, the atmosphere looks pretty creepy (the music is as well). Do you guys think M. Night will be doing thrillers for his whole career?

And so, M. Night Shyamalan has made his masterpiece. Signs is the most marvelously directed movie I've seen this year, not to mention the most atmospheric cerebral thriller in ages, the most tense 2 hours in a theater since I can't even remember, and along with Minority Report, the best film Hollywood has offered this summer.

From the opening credits until the closing shot, I was in the palm of Shyamalan's hand. It's almost like reading a story by Edgar Allen Poe - unity of effect is used to such an advantage that it's impossible to focus on anything but what's happening on the screen. He has a tremendous command of actors, too - Mel Gibson is miles better than I ever imagined he could be, and both children are subtly, and suitably, both bizzare and compelling at the same time. Not a shot is wasted in achieving the emotional payoffs in the last act of the film, which is wrapped up not with the typical "twist" of Shyamalan's previous 2 movies, but in a much more poetic and interesting way. I admired The Sixth Sense, liked Unbreakable, but I love Signs . It's one of my favorite movies I've seen this year.

C'mon Steve, you know better than that. The thread was only a few clicks down, too. For shame. The threads have been merged now, though.

Anyhoo, I saw the flick today...expect a review tomorrow.

My bad, I didn't see it. You like the movie, yes?

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
This movie took me for a ride, one helluva emotional ride. I've never been so scared during or after a movie. I can think of absolutely nothing that would have made this movie better. Shyamalan owns everyone that sees this movie.

I often say movies are the best movie ever, but I rarely say they are masterpieces. Signs was a flatout, hands down, masterpiece. Signs kicked my ass.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I'm posting this here (I posted it in another Signs thread as well), because I'm incredibly curious to get an answer to my question.

It seems I am the only person this has happened to, but I want to confirm it.

I saw Signs yesterday afternoon with my two daughters and husband. In every scene that had characters talking but not with any close-up shots, we could see the boom microphone hanging down in the shot. And I mean REALLY see it. It hung down about a third of the height of the screen. And it would move to whichever actor was speaking. All told, I'd say that microphone was visible for close to half the movie when you count up all the scenes it was in.

After a few shots of this boom mic, people figured out what it was, and we'd all giggle when it came on screen because it just looked so OBVIOUS hanging there and moving around. I wasn't sure whether to find it funny and unique (an experience to tell about later), or to be ticked that the suspension of disbelief was so much harder. I mean, really, it's kinda tough to be totally scared when Mel Gibson is telling Joaquin Phoenix about something scary about to happen when there's this obvious set microphone bopping back and forth from one guy to the other right over their heads!

I assume this didn't happen to anyone else? Has anyone ever heard of this happening -- and so OBVIOUSLY? Does anyone know how they mass produce copies of movies for theatres? Could it have been cut wrong from the get-go?

My husband seemed to think the projectionist just had the tracking wrong...because the movie usually spreads out past the screen anyway, but I've been to movies where the tracking has been off (Austin Powers last week, for instance), and you can't see any mics. You just see the seam of the film at the wrong spot, and the bottom is cut off and is at the top of the screen instead.

I just can't imagine any film director sending off copies of his film ON PURPOSE with the boom mic hanging down 1/3 of the screen in EVERY OTHER SCENE, hoping that a thousand projectionists in a thousand theatres will track the thing right so you can't see the microphones.

Someone help me out. This was too weird for words....
Or is it just...a sign???

Linda

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Your husband was right, the porjectionist just got the tracking wrong. The entire widescreen (with the boom mics) is sent out to theaters and it is the projectionist job to frame it right so that those parts aren't projected on to the visible screen, you just got unlucky.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I don't mean to question you, but how do you know? This just sounds so weird to me, especially since I'm 41, and have never seen or heard of this happening before.

And, if this is true, why is it that when they get the vertical tracking wrong, you don't seem boom mics, you just see the "seam" in the wrong spot, and the top of the screen contains the bottom part of the image?

I would have thought that I'd have heard of this happening before now if it were all up to the projectionist (I've seen a lot of screen screwups in my time), but no one I've talked to has ever heard of this.

Just curious, not trying to be a skeptic....

Linda