Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

So I just watched The Unicorn Store directed by Brie Larson. It was literally so weird I don't know what to think. Definitely don't watch this!!! Also, Brie Larson's crazy wide eyed expressions really unnerved me...

Hellloooo Cindy - Scary Movie (2000)
The Invitation (2015)

More than an adult dinner party.

One of the better movies horror/thrillers I've seen in a good while. One of the better movies on Netflix which is seriously lacking. Strong characters, engaging story in a simple setting - executed well. For those who have seen my only niggle would be the very end scene which seemed a bit far fetched.

Tom Hardy's stunt double Logan Marshall-Green is a fine actor. Or is Tom Hardy his stunt double?

4/5

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
La femme Nikita -

This definitely cranked my reluctance to revisit Léon up a notch.

They showed
before Hellboy and I told my buddy this must be a La femme Nikita reboot.

Eyes Wide Shut (1999)

Intriguing and not in the slightest (for me) erotic. Both main actors are good (if stilted).

6/10

Welcome to the human race...

They showed
before Hellboy and I told my buddy this must be a La femme Nikita reboot.

Looks more like a combination of a lack of ideas and a retreat to safe ground after Valerian flopped. I'm honestly getting the impression he's not that good a filmmaker.

Shaun of the Dead -

so where do we think this will end up on the top 100 horrors

Shaun of the Dead -

so where do we think this will end up on the top 100 horrors
Hopefully nowhere but I'd predict top-20.

The Ruthless (2019)

Another Netflix movie that fails. Kinda like a mafia film but not quite. Terribly messy and fragmented yet still also cliched.

Re-watch of a masterpiece. Disturbing footage of the horses - times have changed - but I presume they were released right away.

I’ve not been watching many horror movies of late, so I looked at a list of under rated sh*t your pants scary horrors and have watched a few recently. last night it was Terrifier (2016) 3/5 Maybe 3/5 was a bit generous, either way I really wouldn’t like to meet this chap down a dark alley.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Fits (2015)

I'd meant to watch this before the Directed by Women Countdown, but didn't get around to it. I wish I had, I think it would have made my list. The Fits is about a young girl, Toni, who joins a dance group at her local gym. A girl in the group has a fit, and gradually other girls start having unexplained fits as well. You wonder whether it a mysterious illness or they are all faking it, whether Toni will have to have a fit in order to fit in. It's very, very well observed in terms of what it's like to be that age, to want to fit in, to see and think about puberty and growing up, to both want it and fear it, and still to be a little kid and hand upside down off things. The entire film is set either in the gym or around it, you barely see any adults, which is a limitation but a deliberate one which actually becomes a strength of the film, it is entirely within the world of the gym and the eyes of the 11 year old main character. It was very un-Hollywood. And only about 70mins long.

+

The Fits (2015)

I'd meant to watch this before the Directed by Women Countdown, but didn't get around to it. I wish I had, I think it would have made my list. The Fits is about a young girl, Toni, who joins a dance group at her local gym. A girl in the group has a fit, and gradually other girls start having unexplained fits as well. You wonder whether it a mysterious illness or they are all faking it, whether Toni will have to have a fit in order to fit in. It's very, very well observed in terms of what it's like to be that age, to want to fit in, to see and think about puberty and growing up, to both want it and fear it, and still to be a little kid and hand upside down off things. The entire film is set either in the gym or around it, you barely see any adults, which is a limitation but a deliberate one which actually becomes a strength of the film, it is entirely within the world of the gym and the eyes of the 11 year old main character. It was very un-Hollywood. And only about 70mins long.

+
It's a really good film. It reminded me a bit of 'Pariah', a Dee Rees film which you might enjoy seeing as you liked The Fits.

A Separation - 10/10

Trust Farhadi in making a deeply affecting movie out of everyday issues and leaving you gasping for breath.

I'm one of the few people on the planet who thinks this movie deserves the Best Picture Oscar it won...Mary Tyler Moore also got my vote for Best Actress over Sissy Spacek, another opinion on which I think I stand alone. Robert Redford's direction is flawless as is the performance of Timothy Hutton as the tortured Conrad. Also, Donald Sutherland was totally robbed of a nomination.