Movie Tab II

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
The Fountain (Arnofsky, 2006)

The Conformist
(Bertolucci, 1970)

Storaro's cinematography was incredible. A true master.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Clerks II

Injects some post 9-11 style heart into the 90s fatalism of the first film. I have to see I think the people that are big into Clerks (and this sequel) might love it more for what it could be than what it is. There is a lot of potential there but because of all the possibilities left open by the minimal plotting, the movies feel unfocused, almost like a clip-show or lengthy montage. It's a concept that would have worked better for an HBO series than an 80 minute film. I know there's an animated show, but I have to admit ignorance there...is it any good? I also noticed the soundtrack was slicker and more mainstream this go-round. In short, very slight but very fun. Rosario Dawson makes a nice addition to the cast too. She's definitely one of the sexiest women on the screen today. In short, very slight but very fun.

I am having a nervous breakdance
28 Days Later... (2002 - Danny Boyle)

Me and a friend who loves this film saw it yesterday. It's quite interesting. It's not very good or very frightening but it raises som interesting questions about good and evil. I really liked the scenes with Jim wandering around in a deserted London.

The Big Tease (1999 - Kevin Allen)

Amusing here and there.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Deep Rising(Steven Sommers 1998)

Borat:Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan(Larry Charles 2006)

Dancer in the Dark (Von Trier, 1999) - Brutal. Personal. Von Trier kicks Selma's ass all over the place... I had forgotten the power of this film....

there's a frog in my snake oil
Cop land - Still the well-delivered slow-punch to the guts that i remembered. Bit cheesy in places but pretty unflinching in others. Shame Liotta goes into an over-acting spasm tho.

Do you know my poetry?
Barcelona (d. Whit Stillman - 1994), B

The Wild Blue Yonder (d. Werner Herzog - 2005), B-

The Loves of a Blonde (d. Milos Forman - 1965), B

Gregory's Girl (d. Bill Forsyth - 1981), A-

The Grifters - Low-key slinky number that smoulders plenty but never completely hits the spot. The leads are all pretty classy tho, and there's some decent suspended sentences, and pithy paybacks, along the way.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Gondry, 2004)

Hadn't had the balls to watch this since the big separation... Love this film, and it really hit home for me this time through...

Unknown White Male - Meandering amateurish doc, but suitably so. It follows a 30-something ex-stock-broker who's mysteriously suffered complete 'retrograde' amnesia - and has become something of a 'man-child' hippy instead.

Made by a friend, the film's best moments touch on the confusion and emotional wrenches suffered by the subject, during his initial adjustment, and by his loved ones during their tougher journey towards accepting this new individual. It's slow, and not exactly the Sartre-on-cinefilm it sometimes wants to be, but intriguing none-the-less. (Some say the film's a fake, but i'm not so sure. At the end of the day tho, the phenomenon exists, and i dare say it probably pans out this way a lot. Except without the ex-stock-broker's bankroll to finance a new lifestyle )

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
cactus flower - goldie hawn, ingrid bergman and walter mathau. Strange, could have sworn i was watching isabella rossilini, she looked so like her mother. funny film, pretty cute movie.

star wars v- my personal favouite, my brother got it for me for my birthday. Fookin love it.

Rent - didnt think the songs were that memorable and i wanted to strangle adam pascal, nothing personal, just did.

Phantom of the opera - wasnt impressed. while i love you patrick wilson for angels in America, i found you wooden in this. And i didnt like the dude who played the phantom.

This Divided State (2005 - Steven Greenstreet)

Pretty fascinating insight into a Utah college and how scared some of these people are of the outside world.

The Proposition (2005 - John Hillcoat)

I liked it very much. The fact that Nick Cave wrote the script of course played a big part in why I wanted to see it in the first place but it's a success on all parts, directing, script, cinematography and acting. It's got this biblical feel over it and I guess Cave is the one "to blame" for that, or maybe I'm just reading that into it since I knew that he was the scriptwriter. Anyway, really good film....

La Moustache (2005 - Emmanuel Carrère)

Absurd and extraordinary film. I think it's a must see, it's based on such an original idea. It's also quite interesting that the director also wrote the novel the film is based on.

Miami Vice (2006 - Michael Mann)

"Miami Vice" is one of my all time favourite TV series, so naturally I've been looking forward to seeing this new film version directed by the creator of the series and one of my favourite American film directors. I can't say I was disappointed because my expectations weren't that high. I liked the action sequences and the tempo and the melancholy mood that is Mann's trademark. And it looks just great, as all his films. But I think the love story between Crockett and Isabella took up way too much room in the film. It worked as a motive for everything else which reveals a pretty thin story, unfortunately. Why would a top class undercover police officer act like such an amateur in the first place? I also think Mann could have done a lot more interesting stuff of the relationship between Crockett and Tubbs. Jamie Foxx doesn't really work as Colin Farrell's sidekick either since Foxx is a lot more charismatic than Farrell.