Films You Hate, But Everyone Else Loves

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I think Avatar was good but not a masterpiece. Is it because of Titanic that everyone was expecting a masterpiece with Avatar?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I liked Get Out but didn't love it. Surprise it was nominated for best picture. I do hate Jordan Peele's second movie, Us, and didn't understand all the love for that one.

Account terminated on request
I think Avatar was good but not a masterpiece. Is it because of Titanic that everyone was expecting a masterpiece with Avatar?
To each his own, but IMO Avatar was a groundbreaking masterpiece.

1. The director brought 3D out of the realm of gratuitous hokey crap and into the world of just immersing you further into the story.

2. Pursuant to #1, he extensively used positive parallax: The vast majority of the movie appeared behind the screen, not flying around in front of it. Prior to this movie, it was almost always the reverse: Movie producers seemed to think that 3D was about being distracted from any real story and reaching out and grabbing things in front of your nose.

People slowly came to the realization that the very best 3D movie is the movie where you completely forget that it's 3D at all.

3. He was able to not only have motion capture (which had been done for a long time) *but* have the facial mannerisms captured so that the CGI expressions were exceedingly real. THAT had never been done; at least not outside of concept clips.

As a result, all by itself it made 3D TV a (short lived) imperative.

Now aside from the visual, I thought the story was absolutely top notch.
They'll say "I don't care if he's a poet or cowboy, so long as he's a nice guy. But oh, I'm so attracted to that bad guy over there."
Understand this last part, and you'll get them all.

Requiem For a Dream. Found it overtly pretentious and obnoxiously depressive at the same time. In addition to lots of other bad things. Just a terrible movie through and through.

Kill Bill (Both/all(?))

Lost in Translation. Found it extremely boring and empty

Heat (Didn't hate it, just found it extremely overrated, even for its lame genre)

Inception (same as above)

Matrix (same as above)

Reservoir Dogs (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Seven (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Zodiac (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Taxi Driver (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Dear Hunter (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Fargo (same as above, and I get the comedy, I just didn't find it funny. Steve Buscemi is awesome as always though)

Oh and most mafia movies are extremely overrated IMO. There, I said it.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind.

Also I have serious problems with anything starring Tom Cruise. If you don't have any difficulties finding him believable as an actor then check out his crying scene in Magnolia and tell me I'm wrong. And that's just one example. Not a fan of Kevin Costner either, and most of it (not all) starring Nicolas Cage is cringy beyond beliefs. Now does that make me a cynic?

I cannot stand Pulp Fiction; it is insipid. Everybody seems to like it, but I can't stand it. The much, much better movie that came out that year was Natural Born Killers, but for some stupid reason, everybody focused upon Pulp Fiction. It is told out of order; who cares? I don't.

Welcome to the human race...
Probably because Natural Born Killers was yet another in a long line of Bonnie and Clyde clones that were all over the place in the early-'90s (see also: Wild at Heart, Kalifornia, True Romance) where the things that made it stand out were already divisive like its aggressively hyperactive visual style and its inane attempts to portray the serial killers as heroes compared to various corrupt institutions of a supposedly decent and law-abiding society. I do have to wonder if I'd have liked it better if Tarantino had directed it himself and stuck to the out-of-order sequencing of his original script as opposed to Stone playing it in mostly chronological order.

Now that I think of it, if I thought Natural Born Killers was an "everybody loves" kind of movie instead of being a more divisive one because of the reasons I listed, then I'd have used it as an answer for this thread.

Films I don't hate (in fact I do own in my Blu-Ray collection), but I do think are a tad overhyped.

The Matrix
The Dark Knight
Big Hero 6

Movies I actually don't like that quite a few people do like:
The Jungle Book (2016) or any of the Disney LA remakes for that matter
The 40 Year Old Virgin
Mamma-Mia
Moulin Rouge!

The first Hunger Games movie.

Despite having a potentially gut-wrenching premise, the movie played it too safe. The actors focused more on being heartthrobs and lacked the charisma for me to care about their shallow characters. (Though Lawrence improved in the later movies, which I liked)

I just couldn't take anything seriously.

The one thing about the movie that I DID like was Stanley Tucci. He was awesome.

Star Wars, and most comic book films... I make exceptions with the Nolan/Bale Batman Trilogy. But I simply can't stand most other Marvel or DC garbage. Star Wars on the other hand is very good... if you can get the initial IV, V, and VI in their original theatrical format... and since that is very hard to do that these days thanks to Lucas and Disney, I really gave up on the series. I thought the Episodes I, II, and III were terrible and VII, VIII, and IX were not much better than those if not worse. Not my cup of tea, but hey, if people like them, more power to them.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

Requiem For a Dream. Found it overtly pretentious and obnoxiously depressive at the same time. In addition to lots of other bad things. Just a terrible movie through and through.

Kill Bill (Both/all(?))

Lost in Translation. Found it extremely boring and empty

Heat (Didn't hate it, just found it extremely overrated, even for its lame genre)

Inception (same as above)

Matrix (same as above)

Reservoir Dogs (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Seven (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Zodiac (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Taxi Driver (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Dear Hunter (same as above but to a lesser extent)

Fargo (same as above, and I get the comedy, I just didn't find it funny. Steve Buscemi is awesome as always though)

Oh and most mafia movies are extremely overrated IMO. There, I said it.

I'm sure there's more, but that's what comes to mind.

Also I have serious problems with anything starring Tom Cruise. If you don't have any difficulties finding him believable as an actor then check out his crying scene in Magnolia and tell me I'm wrong. And that's just one example. Not a fan of Kevin Costner either, and most of it (not all) starring Nicolas Cage is cringy beyond beliefs. Now does that make me a cynic?

Wow. Couldn't disagree more. Pretty much all those films would be on my list of favourite films. Tom Cruise's performance in Magnolia is one of his best and mafia films include some of the finest motion pictures ever. You might as well say you're a big fan of classic rock but hate the Beatles, Stones and Led Zeppelin.

I do like Heineken though, so maybe your taste in beer is better than your taste in films

Dunkirk.

Everyone seemed to think it was a masterpiece but I thought it was dull, overlong and lacking tension. I never felt like there was any particular threat because you barely saw the German forces at all apart from a couple of planes. It seemed like the film had a budget of about $500.

It should have felt like the entire might of the Third Reich closing in our small, isolated, vulnerable group of soldiers trapped between the enemy and the sea with no hope of rescue until a brave armada of regular fishermen decide to risk their lives to save them.There should have been shots of hundreds of planes strafing the beach, dozens of German tanks encircling the city, thousands of troops closing in etc. Instead it was three hours of people moping around a beach looking bored and endless scenes of Mark Rylance in his fishing boat looking pensive. I've had more exciting and tense moments sat on the toilet.

Very disappointing.

Dunkirk thirded. Like every Nolan film, it's extremely well-crafted, fantastic sound and visuals. However, the direction in which it went plotwise was such a disappointment.

So while I don't really hate the film itself, I hate the thought of it, and where it could've gone instead.

Wow. Couldn't disagree more. Pretty much all those films would be on my list of favourite films. Tom Cruise's performance in Magnolia is one of his best and mafia films include some of the finest motion pictures ever. You might as well say you're a big fan of classic rock but hate the Beatles, Stones and Led Zeppelin.

I do like Heineken though, so maybe your taste in beer is better than your taste in films
Haha! As a matter of fact I actually concider myself a big fan of 60's and 70's rock, and although I don't hate them by any means, I don't hold neither Beatles, Stones nor Led Zeppelin very high. Stones and Zeppelin have a couple of ok tracks though. So yeah I guess we just have very different tastes. That's cool, and I'd say probably to be expected to happen concidering the thread topic.

I'm a bit of a nerd music wise, but I'm not at all allergic to popular movies just because they're popular or not artsy. I really enjoyed Conspiracy Theory for instance. The Fugutive, Crossroads, Long Kiss Goodnight, Young Guns I guess are all also arguably somewhat cheesy. I still like them too.

Yes Heineken is tasty. If you haven't tried it yet I recommend their 0.0. It's the only non alcoholic beer that actually tastes really good to me.

Haha! As a matter of fact I actually concider myself a big fan of 60's and 70's rock, and although I don't hate them by any means, I don't hold neither Beatles, Stones nor Led Zeppelin very high. Stones and Zeppelin have a couple of ok tracks though. So yeah I guess we just have very different tastes. That's cool, and I'd say probably to be expected to happen concidering the thread topic.

I'm a bit of a nerd music wise, but I'm not at all allergic to popular movies just because they're popular or not artsy. I really enjoyed Conspiracy Theory for instance. The Fugutive, Crossroads, Long Kiss Goodnight, Young Guns I guess are all also arguably somewhat cheesy. I still like them too.

Yes Heineken is tasty. If you haven't tried it yet I recommend their 0.0. It's the only non alcoholic beer that actually tastes really good to me.

Well at least you're consistent in thinking that some of the most highly regarded films and musicians of the 20th century are overrated lol. What are some of your favourite classic rock bands then?

I've never tried any non alcoholic lager. If I'm not drinking I stick to soft drinks or water.

Well at least you're consistent in thinking that some of the most highly regarded films and musicians of the 20th century are overrated lol. What are some of your favourite classic rock bands then?
Well I'm more of the obscure, one hit wonders and single tracks kinda guy, but if I had to choose classic rock bands, in the 'widely known and overall well regarded' meaning, as opposed to the 'just old' meaning of the word classic, I would say the The Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Janis Joplin to name a few favorites from the 60's.

From the early 70's rock kinda went glam or prog, which I guess is kinda cool in it's own way, but to me the 70's were all about Krautrock, favorites being Faust and Gila, and also more experimental industrial stuff like Throbbing Gristle. I'm not all that into prog rock. I find it a bit snobby, pretentious and smart assy, and depressingly non psychedelic, although I kinda like some of Gentle Giants stuff.

And I drink beer all the time But we're getting pretty far off topic here