2019 Mofo Film Awards - Nominations

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Hello Mofos....

I was debating doing this again this year, but here we are...

How many times have you watched the Golden Globes or the Oscars and wondered why your favourite film isn't nominated or roll your eyes at the obvious choice for the winner? Plenty of times, just like me. Well, here at Mofo you can voice your opinion and award films that matter.

Is there a front runner this year like there seemed to have been in previous years?

The DEADLINE for your nominations is April 1st.

See what movies you can and nominate them before this date. We will then have another month to watch any of the nominated films you might not have seen and will vote until May 1st. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. Just watch as many movies as you can and send me your nominations before April 1st.

- You can nominate up to 5 choices for each category. You do not need to nominate 5, if you've only seen 3 films that you feel fit the category, by all means. But you cannot nominate more than 5.

- You are able to replace, change or add to your nominations up to and including the final deadline date.

- When nominating for Most Memorable Scene....PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE be as vague as possible. If a famous death scene is your most memorable scene, word it so that it does not give away anything surprising.

- Please do not post your nominations here, but you are more than welcome to campaign for certain actors, films or directors.

- When nominating an actor, please specify which film. Some people have more than one film released in any given year. Just so I don't assume anything.

For example: Brad Pitt was in Ad Astra & Once Upon A Time In Hollywood.

- This year will continue with the 10 Best Picture Nominees, giving more films a chance to make an impression.

-Any ideas for categories or maybe new ways to tally the votes? Discuss them here. I know we've talked about rankings film choices and awarding the best ranked film instead of people just voting for one movie. Let me know your thoughts on this one. It might be difficult but worth a discussion.

Private Message me your nominations.

Wikipedia is a good source for films released in 2019. If you have any doubt, ask, people will be glad to help out. Some films are released in different countries in different years. Some movies won't hit Australia until 2020 but they are out now in North America. Open for discussion.

User Submitted Lists:

Holden Pike
rauldc14 - partial
Hashtagbrownies
Tugg
sawbuck
ahwell
Danielm
Frightened Inmate No. 2
John Connor
Cinema De Bergerac
Leostales
CaptainT
ScarletLion
CiCi
CosmicRunaway
Iroquois
Neiba

The categories are:

Best Film of The Year

Worst Film of the Year

Best Director of the Year

Best Actor of the Year

Best Actress of the Year

Best Supporting Actor of the Year

Best Supporting Actress of the Year

Best Screenplay of the Year

Best Animated Film of the Year

Best Documentary Film of the Year

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Biggest Surprise of the Year

Biggest Disappointment of the Year

Most Overrated Film of the Year

Most Underrated Film of the Year

Most Memorable Scene of the Year

Funniest Scene of the Year

‘Mixed-Bag’ Award of the Year

Best Cast of the Year

Best Cinematography of the Year

Breakout Performance of the Year

Best Score

Best Sound Design

Best Visual Effects

*Mixed bag refers to a film that wasn’t great, but wasn’t bad either. A middle of the road type movie.

Previous winners:

2013 Best Film of the Year: Gravity
2014 Best Film of the Year: Birdman
2015 Best Film of the Year: Mad Max: Fury Road
2016 Best Film of the Year: La La Land & Manchester By The Sea
2017 Best Film of the Year: Blade Runner: 2049
2018 Best Film of the Year: Roma

2013 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Gravity
2014 Best Director of the Year: Alejandro González Iñárritu - Birdman
2015 Best Director of the Year: George Miller - Mad Max
2016 Best Director of the Year: Damien Chazelle - La La Land
2017 Best Director of the Year: Guillermo del Toro - The Shape of Water
2018 Best Director of the Year: Alfonso Cuaron - Roma

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
I would contend that overrated/underrated are still distinct enough from surprise/disappointment - the former is about the difference between one's own opinion and the general consensus while the latter is about how a film does or does not compare to one's expectations. In my experience, there has not been nearly enough overlap between the two sets to make me think that one is expendable. But if that's the case, I might as well ask why you bother keeping Worst Film or Mixed Bag.

I would contend that overrated/underrated are still distinct enough from surprise/disappointment - the former is about the difference between one's own opinion and the general consensus while the latter is about how a film does or does not compare to one's expectations. In my experience, there has not been nearly enough overlap between the two sets to make me think that one is expendable. But if that's the case, I might as well ask why you bother keeping Worst Film or Mixed Bag.
Didn't you come up with Mixed Bag?

Fair point, they can be thrown back in.

I would contend that overrated/underrated are still distinct enough from surprise/disappointment - the former is about the difference between one's own opinion and the general consensus while the latter is about how a film does or does not compare to one's expectations. In my experience, there has not been nearly enough overlap between the two sets to make me think that one is expendable.
Agreed.

I think I've seen about 35 films listed as 2019 so far, plus 4 others that had limited releases in 2018 and wider releases in 2019. Those four are High Life, Shadow, Transit, and Under the Silver Lake. Are they eligible for the Awards this year? I may or may not have nominated Transit for something last year, but I don't think it actually made the ballot.

Awesome job,. Could also have a 'best sound design' ?
Interesting. What are people's thoughts on that?

OR specific genres? I think I've asked that before. Best action, best horror/sci-fi, best comedy, etc....

The truth is in here
Question: What do you do when your favorite supporting actor also happens to be your favorite actor of the year overall? And can a movie have more than one lead (where two share a very close amount of screentime)?

Question: What do you do when your favorite supporting actor also happens to be your favorite actor of the year overall? And can a movie have more than one lead (where two share a very close amount of screentime)?

In the past we've had people vote for performances in lead that were supporting and vice versa. I'm not one to say what defines the qualities of a lead performance over a supporting. The only thing I can say is go with your gut. If it becomes a big issue, I'll make a statement in this thread and message those people individually it may affect.

Yes a movie can have more than one lead. It may be a good idea to hash out any performances that might qualify for both and hope people follow suit with the general consensus. For example: The performances in The Lighthouse. Is Dafoe a co-lead? Is he supporting? Discuss.

Don't forget about the Mofo Film Awards. Even though the Oscars are this weekend, we all know that the true merit of being a great film is getting a Golden Yoda.

...High Life, Shadow, Transit, and Under the Silver Lake. Are they eligible for the Awards this year?
Just quoting the question part of my earlier post since I didn't get a response about the films with ambiguous 2018/19 dates.

...High Life, Shadow, Transit, and Under the Silver Lake. Are they eligible for the Awards this year?
Just quoting the question part of my earlier post since I didn't get a response about the films with ambiguous 2018/19 dates.
I'll say yes to all of them.

Welcome to the human race...
I was thinking Supporting myself, if only because it fits the same lead/supporting strategy that resulted in Brad Pitt being nominated for Supporting instead of Lead - Pattinson is definitely the protagonist (and my impression was that he had more solo screen time than Dafoe anyway) so that should inform the decision.

Though that's a good question - if, say, nine preliminary ballots put Dafoe as Lead and eight ballots put him as Supporting, does that settle the matter (and if so, can that technically be counted as seventeen ballots towards making him a Lead nominee and potentially beating out someone who has fifteen ballots that all say Lead)?

I was thinking Supporting myself, if only because it fits the same lead/supporting strategy that resulted in Brad Pitt being nominated for Supporting instead of Lead - Pattinson is definitely the protagonist (and my impression was that he had more solo screen time than Dafoe anyway) so that should inform the decision.

Though that's a good question - if, say, nine preliminary ballots put Dafoe as Lead and eight ballots put him as Supporting, does that settle the matter (and if so, can that technically be counted as seventeen ballots towards making him a Lead nominee and potentially beating out someone who has fifteen ballots that all say Lead)?
It's cute you think 15 people will vote.

In the past, it hasn't been an issue that would create problems, but if it were I can make a post asking if those who nominated so and so for whichever category wish to switch, they can. If that means replacing a nomination of their own they can, if not it would stay the same.

It'd be good to have clear definitions of what performance would count towards which category, but people ultimately make up their own minds on the issue.