Lots of Details--Nothing very basic

Tools    

My dad asked me last night, "What's the movie where Clint Eastwood, but it's probably not Clint Eastwood just an older actor, ends up outside of an old house or something. He's like a secret service agent and there's a presidential assassination issue. I don't know, but they found some special historical thing there that explained something. Maybe it was Lincoln. It wasn't In the Line of Fire, right? No, not it."

I said, "Really, Dad?"

So right now we're thinking

Late nineties/early 2000s
Famous but aged actor
Old house (that was no longer a house but like a rundown hotel)
Presidential assassination
Historical clue

Any help would be appreciated. It's bugging us now. Could be Shooter.

This doesn't quite fit, but it sounds sorta-kinda close to The Sentinel, a movie about secret service agents starring Michael Douglas. Not sure if all the details fit, but the general topic and the "aging but famous actor" part lines up nicely.

Semper Fooey
I think he might be thinking of another Clint Eastwood movie that involved the President murdering someone.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118548/

Murder at 1600 starred Wesley Snipes, not who your father is thinking of, I'm sure, but the historical secret I think is part of the plot.

Murder at 1600 has a climax involving crawling under a secret tunnel put there for Abe Lincoln.

Maybe he is mixing movies up.

Kenny, don't paint your sister.
This doesn't quite fit, but it sounds sorta-kinda close to The Sentinel, a movie about secret service agents starring Michael Douglas. Not sure if all the details fit, but the general topic and the "aging but famous actor" part lines up nicely.
I suggested that one via text to her earlier, Yods. It's a no, but good guess.

...but they found some special historical thing there that explained something. Maybe it was Lincoln?

None of the other details fit, but that basically describes the CODA scene of The Rock (1996), where aged movie star Sean Connery's character gives Nic Cage's FBI Agent the location of super secret microfilm full of decade's worth of State Secrets, hidden in the banister of an old church (or is it a one-room schoolhouse?) in the middle of Kansas, with the last line of, "You wanna know who really killed JFK?"

Could be mixing that scene with another movie or two, as none of the other details match at all.

Another Nic Cage flick, National Treasure: Book of Secrets (2007), involves, among other things, missing pages from John Wilkes Booth's diary, which explain the "true" reason for Lincoln's assassination.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Semper Fooey
HP beat me to it about the Nick Cage NT movie as I just got here to suggest it. But it doesn't have the other stuff. I suspect movies are getting mixed together unless its some obscure TV movie or direct to video, not likely the latter if it has a well known actor (unless one who hit rock bottom).