Soderbergh's "Che"

Tools    

That's okay. Nobody's perfect!
Steven Soderbergh's Che opened at Cannes on Wednesday. I can't believe very many people would sit through a 41/2 hour movie about this iconic revolutionary. I think a director has some responsibility to depict the brutal side of this man. But it will apparently gloss over the unsavory bits rather like Motorcycle Diaries did. If this movie is picked up by an American distributor I will bet it will never be shown in Miami.

From yesterday's New York Times:

May 23, 2008

CANNES JOURNAL
Soderbergh and Che, Provocateurs
By A. O. SCOTT

CANNES, France — On Wednesday morning festivalgoers — or at least the hordes of journalists who stumble into the Salle Lumière every day at 8:30 after a few hours’ sleep and a hasty café au lait — were given a bit of a break. In a departure, there was no competition press screening on the schedule, which provided some of us with an opportunity to glance at the trades, have a second café au lait and rest our eyes in anticipation of a long night of revolutionary struggle.

Starting at 6:30 in the evening there would be two almost simultaneous screenings of “Che,” Steven Soderbergh’s nearly four-and-a-half-hour exploration of the life of Ernesto Guevara, the asthmatic Argentine doctor who became a leader of Castro’s revolution and, posthumously, a boon to the T-shirt vendors of the world.

The expectations surrounding “Che” could hardly have been higher. Mr. Soderbergh, surprise winner of the Palme d’Or in 1989 for “Sex, Lies and Videotape,” has emerged since then as one of the most protean and interesting of American filmmakers, exploring an astonishing range of genres and styles with consistent skill, intelligence and audacity. Not every movie has been great, but they have all been different. And not many directors would follow commercial froth like “Oceans Thirteen” with a digitally shot, Spanish-language epic about a Marxist militant.

In the weeks before this year’s competition slate was announced, “Che” was the center of much speculation. It was in; it was out; it wasn’t finished; it was two pictures; it was one. The version shown in the Lumière was a single movie, without opening titles or closing credits (so maybe not quite finished). There was an intermission, during which sandwiches were passed out to the hungry audience.

The halves of “Che” are mirror images. The first, though it flashes back to Guevara’s early acquaintance with Mr. Castro in Mexico and forward to his visit to New York for an appearance at the United Nations in 1964, is essentially the chronicle of a successful insurgency. It follows Mr. Castro, Guevara and their comrades from 1956 to 1959, through the stages of their war to overthrow the Cuban dictator Fulgencio Batista, and it dwells less on their motives and personalities than on matters of military procedure. With impressive coherence and attention to tactical detail, Mr. Soderbergh shows how Mr. Castro’s initially tiny army fought its way down from the mountains of the Sierra Maestra and ultimately routed Batista’s forces.

The second half, devoted to the guerrilla campaign in Bolivia in 1967 that ended in Guevara’s death, is equally rigorous in its depiction of a failed revolt. Though Guevara tried, in a new context, to apply the strategic lessons of the Cuban revolution — concentrate on the countryside; cultivate popular support; maintain discipline and cohesion in the ranks — everything went wrong. And it turned out that Guevara’s adversaries, the Bolivian army and its American advisers, had learned a thing or two about how to wage an effective counterinsurgency.

There is a lot, however, that the audience will not learn from this big movie, which has some big problems as well as major virtues. In between the two periods covered in “Che,” Guevara was an important player in the Castro government, but his brutal role in turning a revolutionary movement into a dictatorship goes virtually unmentioned. This, along with Benicio Del Toro’s soulful and charismatic performance, allows Mr. Soderbergh to preserve the romantic notion of Guevara as a martyr and an iconic figure, an idealistic champion of the poor and oppressed. By now, though, this image seems at best naïve and incomplete, at worst sentimental and dishonest. More to the point, perhaps, it is not very interesting.

But “Che” itself is interesting, partly because it has the power to provoke some serious argument — about its own tactics and methods, as well as those of its subject. Whether American audiences will have a chance to participate in that argument is, for the moment, an open question. The mood here among buyers has been extremely cautious, and as of this writing, distributors have balked at spending $8 million to $10 million (the reported asking price for “Che”) on a 258-minute movie to be released in two parts, with subtitles.

I think a director has some responsibility to depict the brutal side of this man. But it will apparently gloss over the unsavory bits rather like Motorcycle Diaries did.
Seeing as you seem to know...can you name some of these "unsavory bits" and the "brutal side" of this man? I'm really curious as to what you think they may be?

If this movie is picked up by an American distributor I will bet it will never be shown in Miami.
please. you mean open demonstrations and possibly marches on the eve of its opening. any publicity is good publicity, or so they say.

I'm looking forward to this movie. Looks to be pretty powerful.

-Hattori Hanzo

I'd like to see it... but on DVD... so I can take a break if I want to...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Seeing as you seem to know...can you name some of these "unsavory bits" and the "brutal side" of this man? I'm really curious as to what you think they may be?
A legitimate question I suppose. This is a direct quote from Ernesto:

"To send men to the firing squad, judicial proof is unnecessary...These procedures are an archaic bourgeois detail. This is a revolution! And a revolutionary must become a cold killing machine motivated by pure hate. We must create the pedagogy of the The Wall! (El Paredón)" --Ernesto 'Che' Guevara

And from an article in The New Republic:

In January 1957, as his diary from the Sierra Maestra indicates, Guevara shot Eutimio Guerra because he suspected him of passing on information: “I ended the problem with a .32 caliber pistol, in the right side of his brain.... His belongings were now mine.” Later he shot Aristidio, a peasant who expressed the desire to leave whenever the rebels moved on. While he wondered whether this particular victim “was really guilty enough to deserve death,” he had no qualms about ordering the death of Echevarría, a brother of one of his comrades, because of unspecified crimes: “He had to pay the price.” At other times he would simulate executions without carrying them out, as a method of psychological torture.
Luis Guardia and Pedro Corzo, two researchers in Florida who are working on a documentary about Guevara, have obtained the testimony of Jaime Costa Vázquez, a former commander in the revolutionary army known as “El Catalán,” who maintains that many of the executions attributed to Ramiro Valdés, a future interior minister of Cuba, were Guevara’s direct responsibility, because Valdés was under his orders in the mountains. “If in doubt, kill him” were Che’s instructions. On the eve of victory, according to Costa, Che ordered the execution of a couple dozen people in Santa Clara, in central Cuba, where his column had gone as part of a final assault on the island. Some of them were shot in a hotel, as Marcelo Fernándes-Zayas, another former revolutionary who later became a journalist, has written—adding that among those executed, known as casquitos, were peasants who had joined the army simply to escape unemployment.

If you are interested here are 2 excellent books on the subject:

Exposing the Real Che Guevara: And the Useful Idiots Who Idolize Him
by Humberto Fontova

Che Guevara: A Revolutionary Life
by Jon Lee Anderson

The full New Republic article, which talks about his pop culture image, can be located here:

I like Soderbergh, but like you pointed out, it'd be nice to see all sides of Che.

4 1/2 hours? I'm sure this one'll definitely take a few nights.

There's some more info on a Soderbergh fan site.

http://www.stevensoderbergh.net/
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

I have to imagine it'll get cut down somewhat.

Anyway, I too hope we get a reasonable depiction of the man, and not just low-angle shots of his hair in the wind.

On the plus side, maybe some of the college students with his face plastered on their shirts will finally learn a thing or two about him.

Granted he wasn't the "Ghandi" type of revolutionary...he would of lasted 5 minutes against those he was fighting using that approach! He was fighting a war agaist oppression, agaist men who would not hesitate to kill you, and who were better armed and had greater numbers, also they backed by the US (surprise surprise!)...what? did you expect him to walk around handing out flowers?

But to quote Humberto Fontova, LOL come on man, who are you trying to kid? That's like quoting a nazi to justify WW2...half the crap that guy writes is plain made up...fox news style! No soup for you!

I'm not saying Che was perfect...no one is after all...but to try and trash his legacy is just plain wrong...he was a better man than you and I combined...that's why his memory is loved and respected not only in Latin America but throughout the world! Do you have any idea how bad Cuba was for normal Cubans before their revolution? Research that and you will start to see things in a different light!

Also...as much as I respect what Che did in Cuba, 4 and a half hours!? no thanks!

But to quote Humberto Fontova, LOL come on man, who are you trying to kid? That's like quoting a nazi to justify WW2...half the crap that guy writes is plain made up...fox news style! No soup for you!

I'm not saying Che was perfect...no one is after all...but to try and trash his legacy is just plain wrong...he was a better man than you and I combined...that's why his memory is loved and respected not only in Latin America but throughout the world! Do you have any idea how bad Cuba was for normal Cubans before their revolution? Research that and you will start to see things in a different light!

Also...as much as I respect what Che did in Cuba, 4 and a half hours!? no thanks!
Dear Count, You are of course correct about Fontova, he is a right-wing zealot. I could tell by the title and the cover of the book that it would be slanted to tell the side of the anti-Castro Cubans of the far right. That's why I added the book by Jon Lee Anderson, a somewhat more respected journalist. He had the co-operation of Che's widow, family and the Cuban government.

I was trying to make a point. The climate among the anti-Castro Cubans and their families who had to flee Castro is so charged that it is difficult to get an objective portrayal of the man. The truth is also difficult to obtain from the opposing camp also. All the revelant documents are still controlled by the Cuban government.

But it is not in dispute that immediately after the revolution Che was put in charge of the La Cabaña Fortress prison where he oversaw the revolutionary tribunals of Batista's army and counter-revolutionaries. These tribunals were not 'models' of justice by western standards or even Cuban history. Justice and mercy to hard core Marxist revolutionaires are 'bourgeois' concepts. Revolutionary justice has been justified by the old adage "You have to break a few eggs to make an omlette". Lenin said that it was necessasary during a revolution to put up a few hundred people against a wall and shoot them, whether they were innocents or not was immaterial. The image of the executions was all that was important.

And I am not unfamilar nor naive about the Batista regieme. It was a brutal, authoritarian dictatorship. But let us not be naive about Che either. The Castro regieme (which is a leftist dictatorship which was just as brutal during the revolutionary years) has manipulated and progmulated the romantic visionary image of Che most effectively. This a common trait of Marxist regiemes and known as the 'Cult of Personality'. 'Papa Joe' Stalin is still remembered with admiration by many Russians and 'Mao' is beloved by millions of Chinese.

If it had not been for Alberto Korda's iconic and completely accidental photo of Che

we might not even be having this discussion.

I certainly did not mean to offend nor disrepect the advances Cuba has made since the revolution and overthrow of Batista's corrupt reigeme. I merely wanted to point out that it came at a price, one that was steeper than most in the west realize.

A movie that examined the deeper complexities of Che rather than the romantic vision would have been nice. But the movie is not yet released and I will wait and reserve judgement.

Peace.

I am having a nervous breakdance
I haven't read the book by Fontova but I own the one by Anderson and that one's excellent.

First of all, let's get one thing straight. I do not approve of war crimes. Secondly, I believe that when you make a film like this it is of course always preferable when it depicts all sides of a man.

What I think is interesting with this discussion though is this: if you took, say, a WWII veteran, a low rank officer with tons of purple hearts and all sorts of decoration on his chest, who's probably done as many killings as Che, you could probably live with "the blurry lines" between right and wrong. The chances that you're admiring him for his bravery are probably pretty big. And the legacy of men like Ulysses S. Grant or Ike Eisenhower is, to most people, unquestionable, I guess. You would love and admire both the low rank war hero who did all the dirty work as well as the galant general, the strategic genius.

These examples are a bit exaggerated, I'll admit that, but still; Che is at the same time the trooper with blood on his hands as well as the inspiring leader. And that's why he's an marxist icon. He didn't fight the war far away in safety from the front, he actually lead the attacks and, yes, did a lot of dirty work himself. That's the kind of heroism that sparks the revolution of an oppressed people. And again, I will never approve of summary trials and executions, and the Cuban revolution took a lot of wrong turns pretty quickly (because of a number of reasons, I must add), but I am very fascinated with the man.

How many deaths did George Washington order? Were they all fair? And more importantly, did he execute any killings himself?

Btw, it's really two films, isn't it? It was just the Cannes screening that was an "all-in-one-deal", I think.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I am half agony, half hope.
I've just seen Che at the premiere here at the AFI festival. It was 262 minutes, shown with a 20 minute intermission. The first film is titled The Argentine, the second movie, Che. They will be released separately according to the film guide. Soderbergh and Del Toro spoke a bit beforehand to talk about how hard it was to get the funding (Del Toro was producer) to tell the story of Che.

It's very much a Soderbergh film, shot with grainy bits and colored intercut sections to show different time frames, and he did romanticize Guevara and his men. It was interesting to see the rise of Guevara from rebel into the legendary man.

I like Soderbergh's work, but this film wasn't his best effort. And 4 1/2 hours of anything is too long in one sitting.

Johann von Goethe

The Stalinist Ernesto "Che" Guevara and his bizarre cult most certainly have a great deal of detractors beyond the familiar reactionary apologists of the brutal Batista regime. For your edification, here is a brief critical examination of Che Guevara from a revolutionary libertarian communist perspective.

I think this looks pretty good, I'll probably end up seeing it eventually.

Wow, the trailer is great. Look-wise, Benicio Del Toro was perfectly cast for Che.

Still, it's really long. I don't know if it can hold my interest for so long.