Coalition Government For Canada???

Tools    

I have heard it said that Perot just ****ing hated Bush. Now mind you, I am not saying that I believe that this is true. To be frank, I don't have enough information to decide one way or the other. I was after all nine when I voted in that election. ()

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Clear something up for me.....please.

Canada did not vote for NDP
Canada did not vote for Liberals.
Canada voted for Conservatives

Why is it (if this goes through) that NDP-LIBERALS are going to run the country.

How is that train of thought 'muddled'? How is it that a democratically elected government being overthrown in Canada such a muddled thought? No one wanted Dion, Layton, and sure as hell no one wanted Ducepe....but hey, We might get all 3.

I would rather have another election, as them as one, then to have them automatically take control. Please, tell me again, how is that thought 'muddled'.

For the record, I voted NDP in the last election.

Suspect's Reviews

Canada did not vote for NDP
Canada did not vote for Liberals.
Canada voted for Conservatives
Here are the facts as I understand them. Please tell me if I'm understanding this correctly and kindly correct me where I am wrong.

More people voted for the Conservatives than for any one other single party and thus the Conservatives have achieved a plurality in Parliament.

On the other hand, more people voted against the Conservatives than for the Conservatives. However, the anti-Conservative vote was largely split amongst three other parties: le Bloc Québécois, the Liberals and the New Democrats.

The three parties in question have apparently found that they have more interests in common with one another than they do with the Conservatives and have decided to form a united caucus and thus put themselves in a position to form the government.

You hold that it would be more democratic for the elected anti-Conservative majority to remain split despite any common interests and to allow the Conservative plurality to form the government.
  1. Is this an accurate assessment of the situation and your opinion on it? If not, then how so?
  2. Would this be the first time in the history of the Canadian Parliament that a majority coalition would form the government while the single party with the plurality of parliamentary seats would form the opposition?
  3. What is stopping the Conservatives from offering one of the perspective coalition partners a better deal?

I would rather have another election, as them as one, then to have them automatically take control.
This certainly sounds like a better option than an outright plurality government.

Might I also point out that the Conservative plurality consists of 37.65% of of the popular vote? This makes the "Canada voted for the Conservatives" premise seem a little thin to me. But we can ignore that little side note for the time being.

North American Scum!
I didn't read the whole thread just the last page but Promethus seems to be talking sense. I would hardly call a third of the vote a victory for the Conservatives.

The fact remains though that roughly 60 % of Canadians actually voted left or center parties so it actually makes less sense that Conservatives, our only really right wing party, gets control of Parliament.

As Promethus mentions if the Conservatives want to hold onto the majority why don't they a reach across the aisle to another party and form their own coalition? They didn't win a strong majority so there going to have to compromise.

I don't really pay attention to politics too much here in Canada so don't rag on me too hard if I got something wrong. Voted NDP too by the way.

This is my final say on this subject.

I did vote for a left wing party, but not a coalition. There is a difference.

I do not support a coalition that involves a party that wants to separate from the country. I do not support a coalition that is being spearheaded by a man who is stepping down in the coming months.

Like I said before, if people want this coalition, let it be decided by the people. Conservatives VS Coalition. Not an immediate take over. If Canada wanted any of these parties in, they would have voted them in.

All I'm saying is this, FACT 1: Conservatives WERE elected to be government (majority, minority, it does not matter) two months in and they are being thrown out and we as Canadians deserve to have a say. I do not see YOUR logic in arguing this.

Personally I would like to see these men resign. We need fresh new faces with new ideas in our government. I do not like HARPER, I am not campaigning for him in any way, but the way the other parties are going about this, I also do not agree with.

This is taken from the Toronto Sun; 1 Loser + 1 Loser + 1 Loser = 3 winners?????

I mean come on, has a Coalition Government ever worked?

I'm wondering that if this succeeds, will people care to vote anymore?

All this talking about politics is making my head hurt. I'm going back to movies, where I can relax.

First of all the voices of Canadians are being ignored. What is the point of voting if our decision for the leaders of this government are going to be ignored? Are we choosing or are we being told???

Dion (Liberal leader) is going against Liberal supports by joining the other two parties.

For the record I do not support Harper and the Conservatives, but I do support the freedom of choice and this goes against that.
I take it as the Canadian version of the 2000 election?

...uh the post is up there...

No, nothing like that at all. The Canadian system is a parliamentary republic without an independently elected executive. And this doesn't really seem like it's a matter for the courts to settle.

You're still ignoring my questions.
Whatever.
Gee, the same thing you were doing. I suggest getting down off your high horse.

The majority of Canadians are AGAINST this coalition.

As I stated before 81% of Canadians were against it in a recent poll.

Hell, even the facebook groups are againsts.

Anti Coalition Group is currently at 99,000 members
Pro Coalition groups are at 16,000 members

Take Care buddy.

North American Scum!
A quick google just brought up another poll showing 40% in favour 35% against. Not saying your wrong just throwing into light that other polls are saying other things.

Whatever the point is I don't completely agree with it but after reading the reasons behind the coalition being formed I do sympathize. In Harper's new budget he's cutting a whole bunch of funding for all parties except his and he's denying the public service workers the right to strike for three years. That doesn't sound horribly democratic either. The way I see it he's painted the oppposition into a corner.

As for coalition governments not suceeding? Didn't Pearson put through public healthcare during a coalition? (really not sure just throwing it out there)

Anyways I totally agree with you that most of our politicians should just leave. Everyone is really uninspiring and I just wish we could have someone that will actually inspire people to get involved in politics.