Movie You're Watching Tonight

Tools    

I like his movies.
This is Jafar’s son though (I seem to remember us discussing the father, or maybe I’m losing it). I believe that’s his debut? Prefer Jafar of course, but this was lovely and uplifting. Really-really enjoyed it.

Not as spectacular as I’d been hoping. I just do not connect with the Soviet aesthetic with very few notable exceptions. But a good watch of course.

Not my cup of tea, though I love Andrea. The only thing I enjoyed that was not unlike this is Only Lovers Left Alive, and that was owing to Jarmusch’s idiosyncrasy. So sorry, nope (more on that later).

As far as Peele is concerned, nothing he makes counts as horror to me, but hell am I looking forward to this.

Aaand it was pretty good. Really enjoyed it, which I can rarely say these days. Nothing about it was remotely horror-like, as expected, but a very enjoyable sci-fi nonetheless. Worth noting however that it does somewhat plagiarise the best bits of the Resolution/The Endless premise/universe,
WARNING: spoilers below
what with the looking up/sky monster looking at people who shouldn’t look back at it
. But I guess Peele gets to exploit his Peele-ness and get away with it. Also thought the idea of a “bad miracle” (not that this is overly eloquent) deserved a much better, deeper treatment. That was what originally stood out to me in the advertising and it wasn’t even there.

The actual “nope” reaction I did find hilarious. At the same time, as someone who loves all things understated (especially horror), I did feel something was conceptually lacking; it felt more like the “not much to say” understated than the “a lot to say” kind.

I’m not sold on the concept (feels a bit crass?), but loved Persepolis, so am intrigued if this’ll be similar.
Strangely, I didn’t like this at all. The attempt to make it “relevant” is just nauseating. Can we not leave some things alone? The world is going nuts for sure. It takes a certain ingenuity (not the good kind) to make an Anne Frank film about 21st-century refugees. It’s incredibly well made of course, especially the underworld bit, but that’s not quite enough for that sort of thing.

This is utterly heartbreaking. I love it, but it would be more believable if
the software turned a male protagonist into a woman, not vice versa

As far as Peele is concerned, nothing he makes counts as horror to me, but hell am I looking forward to this.

Aaand it was pretty good. Really enjoyed it, which I can rarely say these days. Nothing about it was remotely horror-like, as expected, but a very enjoyable sci-fi nonetheless. Worth noting however that it does somewhat plagiarise the best bits of the Resolution/The Endless premise/universe,
what with the looking up/sky monster looking at people who shouldn’t look back at it
. But I guess Peele gets to exploit his Peele-ness and get away with it. Also thought the idea of a “bad miracle” (not that this is overly eloquent) deserved a much better, deeper treatment. That was what originally stood out to me in the advertising and it wasn’t even there.

The actual “nope” reaction I did find hilarious. At the same time, as someone who loves all things understated (especially horror), I did feel something was conceptually lacking; it felt more like the “not much to say” understated than the “a lot to say” kind.
have u watched his horror movie called US?