Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
In fairness...

WARNING: "King of the Monsters (mild?)" spoilers below
they don't refer to him as a hydra until after he's lost and grown back one of his heads, otherwise he's just a three-headed dragon

but yeah, that's a distracting detail. Then again, they really are coasting on the whole "let them fight" thing so who gives a damn.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"

Big Brother (Kam Ka-Wai, 2018): Donnie Yen takes a bit of a different route with this film. It's more Dangerous Minds combined with three action scenes. It's great to see Yen do something aside from his usual action routine and this has some heartwarming AND heartbreaking moments as well.

Mollywood (Morocco Vaughn, 2019): This directorial debut from music video director Vaughn has quite an interesting premise. On Chicago's mean streets, a serial killer disguises himself as a drug dealer and targets addicts through the use of a new drug he created. Meanwhile, a cop thinks the murders are connected to his brother's death and it prompts him to go after the local drug dealers in hopes to find the killer. Interesting visuals and in a twist, the serial killer himself is the narrator of the film.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?

Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale (2017) - First Time on Hulu

So, I recently finished seasons 1-2 of the SAO series on Netflix and decided to go check this one out. Like the two seasons that came before it, and arguably even more so, Ordinal Scale is rock-solid. It has a good story infused with enough mystery and and enough action, making it engrossing, so much more than you'd expect from a film about a video game, enough that its two-hour length isn't even within shouting distance of being a chore to sit through. The buildup is just amazing. A great cast of characters, the same characters the viewer becomes invested in over the first two seasons, helps, too. There's also the stunning animation and Yoki Kajiura's excellent musical score doesn't hurt, either. We also get a great English dub from Aniplex that features much of the same cast who dubbed the series. Bryce Papenbrook is once again excellent as Kazuto "Kirito" Kirigaya, an SAO survivor who, like in the series, serves as the main protagonist and also sets out to find out why SAO survivors are having their memories stolen. Minako Aino/Sailor Venus herself Cherami Leigh is also excellent as Asuna Yuuki, another SAO survivor who is now Kirito's girlfriend and pushes the plot forward when she forgets everything about SAO. Michelle Ruff also returns as Shino "Sinon" Asada ("There's no honor in murder! That's chicken s--t!"), who made her debut in season 2's Death Gun arc. Just for good measure, Kirk Thornton who voiced several characters in both dubs of The Castle of Cagliostro (and even the villain Count Cagliostro himself in the Manga dub) returns as Ryotaro "Klein" Tsuboi, as does Patrick Seitz as Andrew Gilbert "Agil" Mills, and we also get Colonel Shikishima himself Jamieson Price as newcomer Dr. Tetsuhiro Shigemura, all of whom are also excellent. All the side characters and such are also up to par and the dub script is completely natural. This one's a winner for sure; I'm definitely looking forward to season three.

InuYasha: Affections Touching Across Time (2001) - First Time on Netflix

Okay, so, it's not quite up there with the series' best episodes - there were a couple of times where it felt like maybe the story was padded just to reach 100 minutes and Menomaru isn't quite as threatening a villain as Naraku, at least not until the second half - but it's still solid. The InuYasha gang's battle against evil is a compelling one regardless. Kaoru Wada's musical score is still a perfect match. These characters are still so very entertaining to watch and easy to become invested in. The story is good in spite of its flaws. Of course, this being InuYasha, the animation is also up to par. The English dub is also a good one. Like Ordinal Scale and SAO, much of the cast that dubbed the InuYasha series has returned for this movie. Ranma Saotome himself Richard Cox is once again excellent as InuYasha, as are Moneca Stori as Kagome, Ukyo Kuonji herself Kelly Sheridan as Sango, Kirby Morrow as Miroku, Pam Hyatt as Kaede, and Willow Johnson as Kikyo. Vincent Gale isn't quite so threatening as Menomaru until the second half, but again, that's how the character is written rather than a criticism to place at Gale's doorstep. Venus Terzo, in quite the departure from her turn as Ranma's female half, is appropriately threatening as Ruri, one of Menomaru's lackeys who is all-too advanced in duplication magic and even copies the wind tunnel that Naraku cursed all the males in Miroku's family to bear. Everyone else is also good and the dub script is completely natural. With all that said, Affections Touching Across Time is solid and any InuYasha fan should watch it for sure.

Gun No. 6 (James Newton, 2018)
+
Sadly more about the 'message' than the actual gun

[quote=Gideon58;2015961]

Liked your rating of this Gideon, one of Spike Lee's best.

Mekhi Phifer needs a shout also...

Coherence 2013

Like a good episode of the twilight zone, I rather enjoyed this low budget sci fi

Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

'Starfish' (2018)

Directed by Al White

Drama / sci-fi / soft horror. It looks fantastic. Sounds fantastic. But it's just soooo ambitious it sort of crumples beneath the weight of it's own determination.

Youngster Aubrey is grieving for the loss of her best friend. Throughout the film we see her state of mind question everything, ask for forgiveness and come to terms with death, and the apocalypse. First time Director Al White does a very decent job considering his day job is being in a band. He also wrote the screenplay and provided the score. Presumably he chose the music needle drops too as there are some fine entries (Granddaddy, Sigur Ros etc) The set design and shot composition really is something to write home about. Cinematographer Alberto Bañares does a great job of putting us inside Aubrey's head. Some of the scenery and images really reminded me of 'Buster's Mal Heart' . It's like a Brit Marling / Shane Carruth mashup film.

The problem is, the connection between the sci-fi and the reality was too much of a jump. The last act is tough to follow and make sense of. Plus there are a few predictable jump scares. There are metaphors about metaphors, and one massive meta moment, that made me say WTF out loud.

That said, while this might not be the most straightforward film, it is more interesting and curious than alot being made. So I hope the Director does more as he clearly has talent. And the little turtle guy is really cute. Want one.

6.2/10

The Catcher Was a Spy
(2018)

This is one of those stranger-than-fiction true stories which really grabs a viewer's attention. Moe Berg was a retired major league baseball player, and who was also highly educated and multi lingual. He ended up working for the OSS (precursor to the CIA) in WWII, where he was tasked with meeting the top German scientist,
Werner Heisenberg, who was thought to be working on producing an atom bomb for the Nazis. If found to be true, Berg was told to kill him.

The film has a veteran cast, including Paul Giamatti, Paul Rudd, Tom Wilkinson, Shea Whigham, and Jeff Daniels.

The plot certainly holds one's interest, but either the direction by Ben Lewin was lackluster, or the screenplay from the 1994 novel of the same name by Nicholas Dawidoff was slightly shallow. It seems to me that the film could have had a little more heft, although it was fascinating nonetheless. The subject alone would sustain even a lesser film.

Doc's rating: 7/10

Quite simply, the best action movie ever made...it was # 1 on my list of favorite action films and Hans Gruber (the late Alan Rickman) was # 1 on my list of favorite movie villains. And I never noticed this before this re-watch last night...did you know the director of photography on this movie was Jan De Bont, who went on to direct Speed and Twister?

Suntan (2016) – 6.5/10

WARNING: spoilers below
Lower than I might have rated it because I was a bit disappointed with the abrupt ending; however it is one of the high points in Makis Papadimitriou's role.