Is 'Titanic' a chick flick?

Tools    

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Its basically a pretty mainstream romance movie crossed with a pretty mainstream disaster movie, capturing both markets is probably why it was such a massive success.
Exactly this.

When a group of like 30 of us went when we were teenagers I was genuinely bemused at all the "chicks" crying, for me it was an awesome disaster flick.

Titanic falls under several genres of films

but yeah it's still a Chick Flick...

It's funny because Walmart will have a display for "Girls Night In".. which is a lot of films that women love.... and Titanic is always there...

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
For @SilentVamp - here someone took Titanic and cut out most of the Jack and Rose story, resulting in an hour-long movie just dealing with the disaster:
Thanks for this. I just watched a bit of it. I will probably watch the entire thing tomorrow afternoon. I am very curious now to see how it is with most of that cut out.

Finally, for anyone who's never seen it, the full A Night To Remember (1958):
On the night of the 100th anniversary TCM showed this. It started at a really weird time (not an even time like 9:50 - it was something like 9:54 - I don't remember the exact time anymore but it wasn't even, like I said). It gave me a weird feeling to watch the film that night because I realized that when the ship went down in the film, that was the exact moment the ship went into the water 100 years ago. In its own way, it was almost like an eerie experience when I realized it. That was why TCM had to have had it start at such an odd time so that the film's sinking would coincide with the history of the real one. I just wondered how many other viewers knew that was what was happening that night.

Thanks for this. I just watched a bit of it. I will probably watch the entire thing tomorrow afternoon.
I thought that video was this at first:

Was like dang, Vamp is dedicated to her Titanic history

Thanks for this. I just watched a bit of it. I will probably watch the entire thing tomorrow afternoon. I am very curious now to see how it is with most of that cut out.

On the night of the 100th anniversary TCM showed this. It started at a really weird time (not an even time like 9:50 - it was something like 9:54 - I don't remember the exact time anymore but it wasn't even, like I said). It gave me a weird feeling to watch the film that night because I realized that when the ship went down in the film, that was the exact moment the ship went into the water 100 years ago. In its own way, it was almost like an eerie experience when I realized it. That was why TCM had to have had it start at such an odd time so that the film's sinking would coincide with the history of the real one. I just wondered how many other viewers knew that was what was happening that night.
I had no idea that TCM did that! Interesting.
Not surprised though. One thing I like about the network is how they pay attention to dates.
Such as how they'll have a stretch of themed movies for various holidays or how after an actor dies - sometimes even as soon as a couple days later - they'll schedule a marathon of that person's movies.

Plus, I think TCM is the only network left that is included in most "basic-cable" packages, is not a "premium channel," and show's unedited movies, including lots of old ones, with no commercial interruptions.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I thought that video was this at first:

Was like dang, Vamp is dedicated to her Titanic history
I've watched part of this before. I don't even remember how I discovered it and I swear I watched like 20 minutes of it before I realized what was really happening. I wonder if anyone has actually sat and watched the entire thing for that length of time straight through.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I don't think I consider Titanic a chick flick and when I think chick flick, I think of movies like Sex in the City or Pitch Perfect or something like that. But I think of Titanic as a historical romantic tragedy movie, if there's a category for that.

But saying Titanic is a chick flick just because it has romance in, is like saying that Casablanca is a chick flick for having romance.

I don't think I consider Titanic a chick flick and when I think chick flick, I think of movies like Sex in the City or Pitch Perfect or something like that. But I think of Titanic as a historical romantic tragedy movie, if there's a category for that.

But saying Titanic is a chick flick just because it has romance in, is like saying that Casablanca is a chick flick for having romance.
Very true IronPony.

Guys do like romance, so it's misnomer to say a movie that combines historical action with romance is a chick flick.