The MoFo Top 100 of the 1930s: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Ninotchka (#7) and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#9) were both on my list. Feeling lazy at the moment so I'm just going to copy/paste what I wrote in the Movie Tab.

Maybe I'm giving Billy Wilder too much credit, since he's one of four names to receive a writing credit, but I definitely feel like his contributions (or at least what I perceive to be his contributions) to the script -- namely his trademark witty dialogue, most notable in the brilliant back-and-forth banter between Garbo and Melvyn Douglas -- is the biggest reason why Ninotchka is such a success. I doubt Soviets were pleased with the film upon its release, and the suddenness with which the Russian characters fall in love with capitalism invites easy criticism, but as someone who has washed his hands of politics, I'm personally glad that the politics of the film are simple-minded. Garbo and Douglas are both very charming in their roles. The three Russian emissaries made me laugh every time they were on screen. When the setting switches to Russia, the film loses a bit of steam, but not enough to prevent Ninotchka from being a delightful romantic-comedy with an incredible script.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is incredible. I'd previously only seen the Disney version, which is far different, of course, so I was still relatively unfamiliar with the story. The sets are jaw-dropping. Laughton's performance and physicality are magnificent and the make-up/prosthetics are extremely convincing. Maureen O'Hara looks lovelier than I've ever seen her. The film is heart-stopping, heart-breaking, gorgeously constructed, beautifully rendered and atmospheric as f**k.

My List So Far:

#3) Footlight Parade
#4) Gold Diggers of 1933
#7) Ninotchka
#8) Dark Victory
#9) The Hunchback of Notre Dame
#11) 42nd Street
#12) Red Dust
#14) The Public Enemy
#15) Destry Rides Again
#16) Stage Door
#17) Swing Time
#25) Suzy (one-pointer)

Love Pygmalion, Wendy Hiller is superb in it imo and it made the #15 on my ballot. The Adventures Of Robin Hood is a fun romp that leaps off the screen and has a cracking final action sequence but whilst I can appreciate it I was never enamoured of it and sadly a rewatch did nothing to change that so it didnae make the cut for me.

Seen: 44/68
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
32. A Christmas Carol
31. The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer

I haven't seen Pygmalion, looks fun though.

The Adventures Of Robin Hood, I'm surprised this was so low. I had expected it to be in the top 10. Well that just goes to show we have a very diversified countdown

Tomorrow we have another film make the countdown from the 30s HoF. But which will it be?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Pygmalion is my #1. Besides having terrific performances and some muscular direction, it's got the wittiest script of the decade. The Adventures of Robin Hood is also visually witty in its bright use of Technicolor, fast pace and iconic characters. Could have easily made my list but didn't.

Seen 68/68
My List
1. Pygmalion (34)
4. Porky in Wackyland (82)
5. The Young in Heart (65)
9. The Hunchback of Notre Dame (40)
10. Olympia (48)
16. Love Me Tonight (92)
18. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (98)
23. Gunga Din (61)
24. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
25. Horse Feathers (51)

The Adventures of Robin Hood is the highest from my list to show so far. I think it's one of the most entertaining movies of the decade. Errol Flynn is a charasmatic lead, Olivia De Havilland is a dream, and the supporting cast just right.

Pygmalion was terrific but I did not vote for it.

3. The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
5. Of Mice and Men (#46)
9. The Scarlet Empress (#63)
12. The Blue Angel (#38)
13. Dark Victory (#52)
15. Horse Feathers (#51)
16. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (#45)
18. The Young in Heart (#65)
19. City Girl (#74)
21. Pepe Le Moko (#54)
22. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (#47)

The Adventures Of Robin Hood, I'm surprised this was so low. I had expected it to be in the top 10. Well that just goes to show we have a very diversified countdown
Well, if it's any consolation, I had "Robin Hood" at #18 (and Dracula at #20)..

~Doc

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
NOW, we're cooking with gas!

wow, how f@ckin dated is THAT remark lol

any hootin' owl, seen 'em all and two of which made the list!

@Captain Spaulding nails it perfectly when describing Ninotchka which truly SHOULD have made my list and it was heartbreaking when I had to switch it out.

Dracula, is, of course, as iconic as you can get, but I went for another VERY iconic monster flick for my list.

Pygmalion
(1939)
+++ Having grown up on My Fair Lady is quite the disservice that I had not heard of, and when I finally did, actually watch the film that MFL was based on.
Quite a fun rendition with everyone, right down to some of the secondary actors that stood out, doing a very splendid job.

Side Note: when I found this image there was a link to a story regarding the writer, Bernard Shaw and how he hated the ending that replaced the one he wrote. How Pygmalion went from feminist manifesto to chick flick
Coming in at #22

and, finally, at #7, a favorite from childhood and remaining so, Errol Flynn is the epitome of Robin Hood and Basil Rathbone does a fantastic Sheriff of Nottingham, and yes, @cricket, "Olivia De Havilland IS a dream"! Along with Claude Rains as Prince John and, we cannot forget Eugene Pallette as Friar Tuck. Which he did a secondary excellent man of the cloth in another Adventure flick I nominated in the 40s Countdown, Mark of Zorro.

Watched 39/68 (57.3%)
1)
2)
3)
4) Hell's Angels (#85)
5) Pepe le Moko (#54)
6) The Scarlet Empress (#63)
7) The Adventures of Robin Hood (#33)
8)
9)
10) The Charge of the Light Brigade (#97)
11)
12) Camille (#96)
13)
14)
15)
16)
17)
18) Red Dust (#59)
19) Bachelor Mother (#86)
20) The Hunchback of Nortre Dame (#40)
21)
22) Pygmalion (#34)
23)
24)
25) Seventh Heaven (1 Pointer)

I haven't seen Pygmalion nor its musical remake My Fair Lady, but I have several friends who love Pygmalion better, so I'm eager to see it. As for [b]The Adventures of Robin Hood[/B, like cricket, it's my #3 and like CR I can't believe it's so low on the list. I love this movie so much! Definitely Errol Flynn's finest film in my opinion. Another one from my list at least:

#3 The Adventures of Robin Hood (33)
#6 Gunga Din (61)
#8 Destry Rides Again (72)
#13 Captains Courageous (64)
#14 Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (47)
#16 You Can't Take it With You (39)
#21 Angels With Dirty Faces (37)

Unregistered User
Somehow, I left out Pygmalion!! I checked my IMDB account and I haven't rated it so it wasn't on my list of 30's film seen. It would easily have been in my top 5. What a shame.

Ninotchka (#7) and The Hunchback of Notre Dame (#9) were both on my list. Feeling lazy at the moment so I'm just going to copy/paste what I wrote in the Movie Tab.

It's impossible to watch that scene (and indeed the entire film) without having heart-wrenching reactions. Laughton's was one of the great performances on screen.

Parenthetically-- his costume was so hot (this was before A/C) that, between scenes Laughton used to go over to the Garden of Alla Hotel on Sunset and Crescent heights to lay in the swimming pool to cool off!

~Doc

Ahh, two really fine films. Make Way For Tomorrow, is yet another nomination from the 30s HoF. A really powerful film with a strong ending. I really enjoyed it but it didn't make my list.

My Man Godfrey
was my #12 It was also in an HoF in the past. I just love that film, so much so that when it was nominated for the 10th Hall of Fame I watched it twice, the second time in the digital colorized version, as I was curious as to how the process worked.

My Man Godfrey (1936)

Review: I had watched this classic only once before when I was first getting into 'old films'. I liked it then but I wasn't well versed enough in the style of 1930s film making to truly appreciate it. This time around I was even more impressed with.

Right off the bat, I loved the title credits, how clever with the billboard style, art deco design. You know for a movie to work like this, you need to care about the characters. Instantly I liked Godfrey, the Forgotton Man, a derelict living in the city dump. You might think that's preposterous, that nobody would live in dump! Oh, but they did, the Depression of the 1930s was horrible and unlike today there was no 'safety nights' for the destitute.

In the movie you'll hear the phrase , 'prosperity is just around the corner'...being repeated with indignantly by the the city dump dwellers. That phrase resonated with1930s audiences, who recognized it as President Roosevelt's catch phrase. OK...I could go on with the history lessons, but the point is this is a brilliant film that was relevant to the target audience as it spoke of the suffering the average person faced and lampooned the ultra rich who made idiots of themselves as they burnt money like it was a stack of firewood.

A lot of movies start off with a good premise, then fizzle out in the end...but not My Man Godfrey, as the story unfolded and we learned more about Godfrey, the funner it got. I enjoyed the snappy dialogue, it was cleverly humorous as it lampooned the rich. Carole Lombard was one of the greatest comedians who graced the silver screen, sadly she would be killed in a plane crash in 1942 helping to sell war bonds. She was only 33 at the time.

In the last few years a digital colorized version of My Man Godfrey was made. I was curious to see what it looked like. I read about it and learned, it's not one of those hideous Ted Turner colorized movies from the 80s. The colorization process was done in 2005. It looked great and I hate the idea of colorizing movies, but it looked like an early 1930s color movie. The colors were not bright an garish but were muted and matched the color palette of the 30s art deco style of the movie to a tee.

I quickly forgot I was watching a colorized movie and I could actually see a lot more detail in the film too. I noticed some set pieces that I hadn't even seen before. And I could spot some subtle facial inflections that I hadn't noticed before.

After a second viewing of My Man Godfrey, I have to say I was even more impressed with the characters and fast witted dialogue.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Since I'm on my phone I'll be back late to post fully about these films. One of which made my list.

While I haven't seen the colorized version I have been tempted to due to the very reasons you stated. Especially after the first time I read your review.

Sadly though Make Way For Tomorrow was on my list of watches to try and fit in for this countdown I never managed to get around to it. I did manage to give My Man Godfrey an airing though and enjoyed its witty dialogue and amusing interplay enough for it to lay claim to the #14 spot on my ballot.

Seen: 45/70
My list:  

Faildictions (streamline moderne vsn 3.01):
30. Night Must Fall
29. The Man Who Knew Too Much