Varieties of Historical Fiction

Tools    

1. Quasi-mentary. A retelling of history in dramatic form. Not a documentary which edits historical documents, but which reenacts historic events. EX: Apollo 13

2. Historical Drama. A retelling which take more liberties with history, condensing events more and consolidating multiple people into single characters. EX: HBO's Chernobyl

3. Could've Happened Historical Drama.
Stories that take place during a period, and relative to our vantage point, could have happened (for all we know). Forrester always hard Horatio Hornblower conveniently kept out of major Naval engagements in history. He writes the character as a sea captain who could've been at sea during the time of Nelson. The events depicted didn't happen, but we feel that they could have happened (for all we know) during that time.

4. Convergent Alternative History. The story could not have taken place and the audience knows that it obviously violates known facts of the period. The setting is historical, but the events and players are obviously wrong, but if we squint we can imagine it might have happened that way. Most important, the events depicted get us back, more or less, to the present that we are in today.

5. Divergent Alternative History. The story could not have taken place and the audience knows that it obviously violates known facts of the period. The setting is historical, but the events and players are obviously wrong. Most important, the events depicted do NOT get us back, more or less, to the present that we are in today. EX: Inglorious Basterds.

6. Fantasy. The story not only could not have taken place, despite the presence of historical details, because it steps outside of our reality.
EX: Dr. Stange and Mr. Norrell.

There are probably very few films in category #1, since liberties are almost always taken for the sake of narrative expediency.

#2 is probably the most dangerous since many people will only "know" what they know about an event through this allegedly "true story." Oliver Stone's JFK and Nixon are interesting works, but some audiences have mistaken them for accurate historical records of events, which they are not.

#3 is a clever way to have your cake and eat it too. The less consequential the players, the easier it is to pull off.

#4 is less dangerous than #2, because by definition, the audience knows that this isn't how it went down. It might, however, still tell "lies" in terms of background assumptions.

#5 is a ready template for historical science fiction and counter-factual cerebral projects (e.g., what if the South had won the Civil War?).

#6 fantasy is an interesting category in terms how much we sometimes expect it to "get right" and how much it can get right (as a hyperbole) of actual events. Game of Thrones, after all, is largely an imaginative retelling of English history.

I'd place the works of Alexandre Dumas (The Count of Monte Cristo, The D'Artagnan Romances: The Three Musketeers, The Man in the Iron Mask) in category #3.

They take place during specific periods in history, involve some actual historical figures as both main characters & periphery characters, and most characters are based upon people who really lived and events that may have occurred despite their stories being largely embellished for the novels.

This is an interesting topic for me since I've spent even more time with history than movies. My experience has been the entire continuum from 1 to 6, with a possible 7 for Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.

From my history desk, I think you have to acknowledge that real history takes place over a long time, with lots of characters and incremental events, but the movie version has to play out in a couple hours and be easy for an audience to understand. I reflect on movies like Pearl Harbor, which, on the one hand had some careful attention to war hardware and flight patterns, but, on the other, reduced several decades of rising tension to a 5 minute prelude populated by a few quotable quotes, delivered by Roosevelt and Yamamoto. Half of the run time of the movie, of course, focused on some cheesy romantic elements, but then, movies are about emotionally appealing characters so the Americans have Hawaiian sunset kisses while Yamamoto plays out like some sort of "Asian Peril" character, with drone-like sycophants.

From the movie reviewer's desk, I can't imagine anybody keeping their butt in a seat long enough to really understand these historical events, especially since most of them are fairly boring and procedural until the drama breaks out, or, in this case, the bombs fall on Pearl Harbor. Basically, it's all historical fiction, with different balances between history and fiction.

It would be interesting to assess a lot of "historical" movies and get an average score.

Personally, as a history geek, I really like alternative versions of history, which allow a script writer to go completely off the rails and not make history guys get aggravated.

There's a youtube channel called History Buffs that analyzes historical movies for accuracy, and it's very well researched.

There really was a demented Roman Emperor named Commodus, who "fought" in the arena against hobbled opponents, but he was not dramatically killed by Russell Crowe. He was stabbed in his bathtub by a wrestler named "Narcissus", but that would not make much of a movie plot.