The Guitar Guild

Tools    

I have one of these:

One of these:

And one of these:

It's hard to find the time to play these days but every now and then I get them out.
Nice guitars. Yes I know what you mean, it is hard to find the time. I have phases of not playing much, then playing loads.

A system of cells interlinked
Ditto on having a hard time lately finding time to play. Having a toddler in the does not make it easy!

Ditto on having a hard time lately finding time to play. Having a toddler in the does not make it easy!
Since my 2 kids came along, making music has been depressingly sparse. I did start up again before the pandemic.

-downloaded reaper software (free and amazing DAW)
-Got one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-S...ag=googhydr-21
-Got a midi keyboard and started writing and recording some instrumental stuff.

But again, plans got waylaid as I just don't have the time. Any free time is spent gorging on movies naturally.

When my daughter was born I didn’t play for 3 solid years. Then I got back into it and my obsession with new equipment started to get out of control. Hey, I don’t drink or smoke so I have to spend money on something. That’s my excuse anyway.

A system of cells interlinked
Since my 2 kids came along, making music has been depressingly sparse. I did start up again before the pandemic.

-downloaded reaper software (free and amazing DAW)
-Got one of these:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-S...ag=googhydr-21
-Got a midi keyboard and started writing and recording some instrumental stuff.

But again, plans got waylaid as I just don't have the time. Any free time is spent gorging on movies naturally.
How do you like that audio interface? I haven't head of that one. This is the one I have:

You ready? You look ready.
Those Focusrites are bombproof. I see them all over the place on social media and audio forums. I have heard nothing but good things.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Ladies and gents I am officially joining the club, something that I have always wanted to do for years and years.

Got myself a relatively cheap Juarez acoustic guitar. I wasn't keen on spending a lot on my first.

With the help of the kind folks on YouTube I intend to embark on this wonderful journey.

Here's my girl.

Wish me luck.
Good luck with using YouTube. It’s a great tool for learning. The only problem I find is you can learn a new song, then on a different video someone will play it a completely different way. It’s just up to you to fathom out which one sounds correct.

This week I'm learning Sweet Euphoria, by Chris Cornell on an '81 Takamine F-375sw.
I love playing “ Preaching the end of the world” from the same album. So many chord changes to remember though but a great song.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I love playing “ Preaching the end of the world” from the same album. So many chord changes to remember though but a great song.
Ha. Lotta chords there. Great song too. Never tried it myself but I do love that album. Maybe three years ago i picked out When I'm Down on my grandma's piano. Took a while and i couldnt play it today to save my life, but that's another great song. Nice guitar solo too. Not as good as the Steel Rain solo but gosh! Great album!!

Good luck with using YouTube. It’s a great tool for learning. The only problem I find is you can learn a new song, then on a different video someone will play it a completely different way. It’s just up to you to fathom out which one sounds correct.

Thanks man. I know what you mean. Everyone has different ways, especially with chords.

I am following one of those free 30 days guitar courses by an Indian bloke named Adit Kundra. Good man taught everything from the basics like even the anatomy of the instrument, frets, strings, posture, etc. Useful for an absolute novice like me.

In addition to that I am also using Yousician. Very decent app so far.

I have promised myself to take things slowly and not rush through this. I know that can be so tempting, wanting to learn the complex things (or a song) before mastering even the basic exercises.

Put in four hours of work today. My left forefinger and middle finger's tips are hurting but man it feels so satisfying - a feeling I am told might not last once things start to get frustrating

Thanks man. I know what you mean. Everyone has different ways, especially with chords.

I am following one of those free 30 days guitar courses by an Indian bloke named Adit Kundra. Good man taught everything from the basics like even the anatomy of the instrument, frets, strings, posture, etc. Useful for an absolute novice like me.

I have promised myself to take things slowly and not rush through this. I know that can be so tempting, wanting to learn the complex things (or a song) before mastering even the basic exercises.

Put in four hours of work today. My left forefinger and middle finger's tips are hurting but man it feels so satisfying - a feeling I am told might not last once things start to get frustrating
lol, yeah. I half considered warning you about cramping up and callouses forming on your finger tips but figured you probably already discovered that it does go away when the skin toughens up a bit.

good job on starting and committing! as long as you're having fun with it, you can't really do any wrong. keep everyone posted on your progress?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Somedays you’ll get frustrated with the guitar and others you’ll get a real buzz from it. Usually after a short break from playing I get really eager. Even Hendrix quoted he hated the thing from time to time.

The more you play guitar the less cramping you will get and your finger tips will harden up so there’ll be no pain.

I’ve never got too in depth with the theory side of things but everyone is different. Some feel the need to try and master the guitar. Some guitar greats can’t even read music and just do their own thing. I’m more motivated to learn songs rather scales and theory. Play till your heart's content but when you need a break take some time off. Good luck.

How do you like that audio interface? I haven't head of that one. This is the one I have:

The focusrite is really nice. Great gadget that sounds lovely on the laptop. I should have bought one years ago really.

You ready? You look ready.
Glad to see this thread getting some love! Keep it up y’all. I am loving it all.

I finally broke down and bought me an electric. I had been eyeing this particular one at my local local shop all year long. I knew I wanted it but I was waiting to see if my interest was going to wane. Keep in mind just about every hobby I have ever started I have given up after a couple months. Drove my parents insane as a kid by jumping around from so many things. Well, I may suck but music, specifically the guitar, has held my interest longer than anything. That’s when I knew I needed it.

This is the type of music I grew up on as a little kid, and rockabilly is still my favorite genre of music. I didn’t see any sense in getting a standard electric since that 50s sound is what I am after. And as soon as I heard it I grinned so big because I knew this is the guitar for me. At least for the next 5 years.

Glad to see this thread getting some love! Keep it up y’all. I am loving it all.

I finally broke down and bought me an electric. I had been eyeing this particular one at my local local shop all year long. I knew I wanted it but I was waiting to see if my interest was going to wane. Keep in mind just about every hobby I have ever started I have given up after a couple months. Drove my parents insane as a kid by jumping around from so many things. Well, I may suck but music, specifically the guitar, has held my interest longer than anything. That’s when I knew I needed it.

This is the type of music I grew up on as a little kid, and rockabilly is still my favorite genre of music. I didn’t see any sense in getting a standard electric since that 50s sound is what I am after. And as soon as I heard it I grinned so big because I knew this is the guitar for me. At least for the next 5 years.
This guitar looks killer. These types of guitars are great for pretty much any type of music, even hard rock. My Gretsch has a centre block in it so it’s not completely hollow. This is to help with feedback problems when using distort. People think you can only play a certain style on certain guitars but that’s not true. My Gretsch and Ibanez semi acoustics pictured in this thread are great all rounders.

^word
Chris Cornell rocked a signature ES-335 and, IMHO, he is a rock legend.

I love the look and sound of a semi-hollow body guitar. They're loud enough you can noodle around with them without an amp and still hear everything you're playing.

Nice guitar, McClane.