Roger Moore is the worst Bond! Comments?

Tools    

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I always thought Dalton was the worst, his movies were terrible! Then again, this is me remembering my childhood.

Nah, Dalton's underrated. I thought he made a solid Bond, and I liked both Licence To Kill and, to a lesser extent, The Living Daylights. He looked the part. He was a hardcore Bond before Daniel Craig Bourned it up.

Moore was terrible. At least Brosnon had charisma.

Semper Fooey
Lazenby was the worst.

Timothy Dalton is most definitely one of the best. Timothy Dalton and Daniel Craig are closest to how the original Bond is in the Fleming books also.

Just finished a book on the Bond films/culture and really looking forwards to watching the Bond films in order now after reading it. Be interesting looking at them from different viewpoints now. I have the blu-ray box set waiting.

I think Pierce Brosnan is the one I like least as Bond, I've got to watch George Lazenby again because I saw On Her Majesty's Secret Service years ago and can't remember him very well in it.

How are you going to put Dalton above Craig? lol
Craig's a bit too craggy. Soon he's going to look like Gordon Ramsey and I don't want to see that.

I thought Dalton was great and had the most interesting interpretation. He looked like a nice guy but could be pretty cold and not comic cold either. The main reason License to Kill has the lowest box office is the fact that it was the first Bond film to get a 15 certificate so naturally a large part of the audience will be cut and probably also put off by the fact that this is a 15 after all the previous films have been PGs.

Semper Fooey
Moore was much better as The Saint. His acting stiffened up as Bond. Or maybe he was just bored.

[quote=will.15;872539]Moore was much better as The Saint. His acting stiffened up as Bond.[/quote]

Hee hee

The People's Republic of Clogher
My opinion hasn't changed in the 8 (good grief!) years since the post below. Maybe what Craig needs in the new Bournend movies is an arched eyebrow and a safari suit.

Bond, to me, on film is nothing like the books. I was weaned on Roger Moore (thankfully not literally ) so the franchise means lowbrow, camp fun. A cross between a vintage Jerry Bruckheimer movie and Ian Fleming's other famous cinematic offering - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...

I don't think 'ole Rog deserves this abuse. His left eyebrow alone is worth a million dull thesps like Dalton!

The only Bond movies that I've seen in the cinema have been Moore creations: Octopussy and A View To A Kill (though that probably says more about my age than anything else). The guy had a mean taste in safari suits too. *

And magnetic watches...

And white Lotus Esprits....

Roger, I salute you.

*It has to be said here that I don't actually care for the franchise but Moore brought a sense of (intentional or not) camp irony to proceedings which made the movies a bit more bearable.

I would highlight the series' emphasis on fun and escapism but I don't think it inherently needs to be camp. It was okay in the seventies (which produced some creaky old comedies) but modern day tastes differ.

No matter what anyone says, Sean Connery will always be imitated but never replicated. Just like the rewrite, Craig has taken it to another direction, not badly, if I may say, but Sean will forever by sinanomus with Bond.
There are those that think that Sean can't act but it's not so much acting as it is the personification of the character and Sean fits that to the tooth and that's why everyone else falls short.

Semper Fooey
Can you name Ian Fleming's first and second choice for James Bond?

I remember hearing that Fleming actually wanted Moore for the role but don't know how much truth was behind it.

Without resorting to Google (these things are no fun otherwise ) I've got it in my head that Fleming also had a non-actor, somebody akin to Blair Maine, in mind. Dunno how he'd have looked in a safari suit though. Especially as he was dead before Dr No was released.

Semper Fooey
Ian Fleming before the first movie wanted David Niven and when that didn't go suggested his cousin (?)...Christopher Lee!

I actually think Lee as Bond would have been interesting except with him bedding the ladies.

Hmmm, maybe it was Lee I was thinking of, what with his WWII Special Forces background.

Of course, the first Bond was the much missed (by ex-students of my generation anyway) Bob Holness, who played him on radio in the 50s.

Can I have an E please, Bob?

I've always quite liked Roger Moore as bond, The movies were always a bit camp but they were catering to the audience tastes at the time.
I've enjoyed most of the Bond franchise.
The thing that made them so successful was that they were made to be good fun.
they're not meant to be over anylized, just enjoyed.

Sudoku Blackbelt
The fact that I own the 6 Connery Bond flicks, and none of the others, says it all.

I don't know. I know people who are saying that Craig is the worst Bond ever. I never heard anyone saying that Connery was the worst one. But maybe it's because we judge every Bond actor that came after him as not great.

So i say: To each his/her own. Don't like 'm, don't watch it.