New York Ninja

Tools    

This movie was made in 1984, but it wasn't released until now. Looks like it's only available for purchase via Vinegar Syndrome. Based on this trailer, it's worth it.

The star and director John Liu is also in a movie called Invincible Armour, which features one of the all time great villain deaths, so highly recommend that one.

The star and director John Liu is also in a movie called Invincible Armour, which features one of the all time great villain deaths, so highly recommend that one.
Cool, I'll check that out as well since I've never seen John Liu in anything. I'm ashamed to admit that I thought it was Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa of Mortal Kombat fame at first glance.
Looking at the cover of Invincible Armour, I wonder if the villain inspired the look of Pai Mei from Kill Bill.

Cool, I'll check that out as well since I've never seen John Liu in anything. I'm ashamed to admit that I thought it was Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa of Mortal Kombat fame at first glance.
Looking at the cover of Invincible Armour, I wonder if the villain inspired the look of Pai Mei from Kill Bill.
The Pai Mei character I believe is originally from Executioners from Shaolin. He's played by Lieh Lo there, but the actor playing the hero, Gordon Liu, plays the role in Kill Bill.

"Honor is not in the Weapon. It is in the Man"
New York Ninja is a wild movie. Kurtis Spieler, the co-founder of Vinegar Syndrome, had gotten all the original reels, B-rolls, and other things as the film was abandoned before any sound was done on the film. He spent two years reconstructing the film and added an 80's like score and had B-movie actors overdub the voices, with legendary kickboxer Don :The Dragon" Wilson voicing John Liu's character and horror icon Michael Berryman as the villain called the Plutonium Killer, whose skin tends to melt when excited.

Liu did get into some legal trouble in the 1990s while living in Spain. He now lives in Vietnam in a boat shack with no electricity. VS attempted to reach out to him but Liu said he wanted nothing to do the with the film, but gave the company his blessing.

Saw this movie recently. I came in with high expectations that this could be in the same league as movies such as Miami Connection, Samurai Cop or the American Ninja franchise (by high expectations, I mean that this movie would be terrible but have so much craziness it would make it great). Unfortunately it did not meet these standards. This thing had no storyline at all, at least those other ones had something going on, this was just a dude dressed in a white ninja costume running around NY.

It was very hard to get through, even for bad movie lovers like myself.

Saw this movie recently. I came in with high expectations that this could be in the same league as movies such as Miami Connection, Samurai Cop or the American Ninja franchise (by high expectations, I mean that this movie would be terrible but have so much craziness it would make it great). Unfortunately it did not meet these standards. This thing had no storyline at all, at least those other ones had something going on, this was just a dude dressed in a white ninja costume running around NY.

It was very hard to get through, even for bad movie lovers like myself.
I like it a little more than you do and believe it has a story, although it is a pretty ordinary one. With that said, when you take away the neat trivia of it being shot in 1984 and not restored and released until 2021, you're left with a decent yet unremarkable low-budget action movie. There is stuff in it that's weird and so bad, it's good, but I agree that it's not on the level of any of the movies you mentioned, so I doubt that it will become a cult classic (funnily enough, there's a scene where you can spot a marquee for an actual cult classic and better movie of its kind, Ninja III: The Domination). Besides Voyag3r's excellent score, I enjoyed it most as a time capsule of New York in the 1980s.