Alec Baldwin accidentally kills crew member with prop gun

Tools    

....The thing is...this wasn't a one time accident it had happened a week earlier on the same set. Also there was another incident on another set with an 11 year old was given a live gun...
Wow, just wow....I hadn't heard about the 11 year old being given a live gun. Do you have any more info on that?

Please sign this petition and demand for Alec Baldwin to use his power and influence in the Hollywood film industry to make change and ban real guns on film sets.

https://www.change.org/p/hollywood-i...ryone-involved

Strange that the language seems to both exculpate (Real guns were running amok on set! It was the gun's fault) and accuse Baldwin (demand that he sign!) as the same time (do it or we will find you to be responsible).

https://www.change.org/p/hollywood-i...ryone-involved

Strange that the language seems to both exculpate (Real guns were running amok on set! It was the gun's fault) and accuse Baldwin (demand that he sign!) as the same time (do it or we will find you to be responsible).
By "demand better crew working conditions" they mean hiring people based on they skill/experience? 'cause hiring someone based on gender or if it's part of a community is insane.

By "demand better crew working conditions" they mean hiring people based on they skill/experience? 'cause hiring someone based on gender or if it's part of a community is insane.

We heard you needed to hire some crew members to help advise your crew members, so we got you a gun handler for your gun handler.

The intellectual war on "merit" (which is now "racist") is going to find "limits to growth" as reality pushes back. Want to know which jobs are real? Watch which jobs will only hire on qualifications as time goes on.

So we're blaming diversity now for this woman's death? *logs out*

So we're blaming diversity now for this woman's death? *logs out*
This accusation was made 21 hours ago. Where have you been?

My money is on nepotism and a subconscious layer of protective sexism (i.e., give a girl a break, even though she handed an 11-year-old a loaded gun), both of which are erosive to the role of merit. And if any industry is rife with nepotism, it's Hollywood.

My money is on nepotism
Where's the evidence of her father's involvement here?

a subconscious layer of protective sexism
Oh, there's a layer of sexism here alright, but more accusatory than protective.

Btw, is anyone under the impression that this particular production was concerned about eligibility for Oscars?

*logs right the **** out*

Where's the evidence of her father's involvement here?
I'm talking about where I'd place my bets. Not what I can prove in a court of law.
  • Hollywood is known to be nepotistic.
  • Her dad is a big deal in this specialization.
  • She's somehow skated on recent ****-ups that would seem to get anyone else fired (e.g., handing an 11-year-old a loaded gun, the two prior negligent discharges on this very set).
Why wouldn't you hold this person responsible? Either the whole set was grossly incompetent or there was protective bias in her case (e.g., nepotism, age, gender).

We don't want to blame Baldwin. We don't want to blame the person who put the bullet in the gun. Who does get the blame?
Oh, there's a layer of sexism here alright, but more accusatory than protective.
Meh.

EDIT: Weren't you supposed to log out? I am having a hard time tracking your dramatic exits.

Hollywood is known to be nepotistic.
Again, this was not a "Hollywood" movie. This is a bucket cheap production. Both films that Reed worked on were from these companies who have been specializing in the kinds of films we keep finding Bruce Willis in that no one has ever heard of before they scroll past it on Yify. Why was Reed hired? I guessing because she's cheap, and you get what you pay for.

Why wouldn't you hold this person responsible?
I am holding her responsible. I have been holding her responsible. I've also been holding the straight white man assistant director responsible whose job it was to check the gun before he handed it to his lead actor, a fact which makes the feeble attempted SJW spin on this pretty moot.

Either the whole set was grossly incompetent...
Hmmmmm.....

We don't want to blame the person who put the bullet in the gun. Who does get the blame?
I hope it's not considered an escalation to call out this obvious trolling right here.

EDIT: Weren't you supposed to log out? I am having a hard time tracking your dramatic exits.
Trip trap trip trap.

I hope it's not considered an escalation to call out this obvious trolling right here.
I bet you're a lot fun at parties.

The trick is not minding
I’m not sure how we can really connect nepotism to this tragedy, and Jinnistan is right. It wasn’t some big Hollywood production.
I though about where the blame lies, and I’m content to lay the blame on many. Certainly the person in charge of the props. Baldwin, and this is where it gets tricky for me, maybe should have checked. But I have to concede that it isn’t his responsibility to ensure such things. Time is important in filming, and often they need to be ready to start filming without having to double check others people’s jobs, especially if it isn’t their responsibility to do so.
At the same time, I must also concede that he is still, in fact, wielding a dangerous weapon, and should have been mindful of that.

I’m not sure how we can really connect nepotism to this tragedy,
She is the daughter of Thell Reed, a rather famous name in the business.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0715715/bio

She trained under Thell, so is he her point of access to the industry? It's not what you know, but who you know - how you are networked. What do you want to bet that it was easier for her to find a gig because of who her dad is than a nobody off the street?

How does a 24-year-old wind up in such a large leadership role? Why wouldn't an older person be hired? Why wasn't she fired after the first two negligent discharges?

She has been described as "inexperienced."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rehearsal.html

She had only worked on one other film and is reported to be

“a bit careless with the guns, waving it around every now and again,” a source who worked on The Old Way told The Daily Beast. “There were a couple times she was loading the blanks and doing it in a fashion that we thought was unsafe.”
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...172233627.html

It wasn’t some big Hollywood production.
Give it a name, then. Shall we just call it "the industry"?

The trick is not minding
She is the daughter of Thell Reed, a rather famous name in the business.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0715715/bio

She trained under Thell, so is he her point of access to the industry? It's not what you know, but who you know - how you are networked. What do you want to bet that it was easier for her to find a gig because of who her dad is than a nobody off the street?

How does a 24-year-old wind up in such a large leadership role? Why wouldn't an older person be hired? Why wasn't she fired after the first two negligent discharges?

She has been described as "inexperienced."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rehearsal.html

She had only worked on one other film and is reported to be

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...172233627.html

Give it a name, then. Shall we just call it "the industry"?
Without any real idea on how and why she got the position, it’s really just speculation. It is possible, perhaps, that she was legitimately qualified, yes?

Without any real idea on how and why she got the position, it’s really just speculation. It is possible, perhaps, that she was legitimately qualified, yes?

Sure.

Still, you kind have to scratch your head and ask how this person got the job and didn't lose the job after the first two times (!!!) there was a negligent discharge on set. It was only the third discharge that finally caused the outside world to intervene and for production to shut down.

The trick is not minding
Sure.

Still, you kind have to scratch your head and ask how this person got the job and didn't lose the job after the first two times (!!!) there was a negligent discharge on set. It was only the third discharge that finally caused the outside world to intervene and for production to shut down.
I would imagine the same way when any accidents happen at any job, that is it was investigated and determined how and why it occurred. People usually aren’t given their walking papers after one mishap, or accident, unless one is able to determine actual negligence, and even then it depends on the severity.
This too, is speculation on my part, of course, until we know more.

I would imagine the same way when any accidents happen at any job, that is it was investigated and determined how and why it occurred. People usually aren’t given their walking papers after one mishap, or accident, unless one is able to determine actual negligence, and even then it depends on the severity.
This too, is speculation on my part, of course, until we know more.
A negligent discharge is a pretty big deal. This set had two NDs before someone died. This isn't a screw up like putting a pin on the wrong lapel for continuity. These are life-and-death screw-ups.

The LA Times reported that

at least one of the camera operators complained last weekend to a production manager about gun safety on the set.
https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...walked-off-set

Also, it turns out that Baldwin was practicing a cross-draw and pointing his gun at the camera (the DP and director being behind the camera), so there is some added weight to the argument that Baldwin should have personally cleared the weapon. His intention was to point a deadly weapon in the general direction of people for the sake of theater (which is a tremendously dangerous proposition), so he really, really should have inspected the cylinders. He didn't intend to shoot, so all he needed to see was six empty chambers. To be clear, the "Maybe he thought he was shooting blanks" conjecture absolutely does not hold as any sort of justification now.

Not had chance to go through the entire thread, but from what I've read... Assistant Director Dave Halls is partly responsible?
From what I've read, he grabbed a gun from the prop dept while the prop guys weren't looking, and just handed it to Baldwin and told him the gun was safe.
Hey presto, someone got hurt.

Apparently Halls' past behaviours have caused concern as well on sets, including a crew member being shot a couple years ago with a gun that Halls had deemed safe, and Halls got sacked for his actions... and two weeks before Hutchins' death, there were two other firearms incidents on the set of Rust.

6 hours before Hutchins died, a chunk of the crew walked off set because Halls was acting dangerously and because of the previous 2 firearm mishaps a couple weeks beforehand.

I'm not saying Halls is totally responsible, but looking at his history... gotta wonder.
Also... why on Earth were live rounds on a movie set?

I watched Pan's Labyrinth the other day, and weirdly, it reminded of this incident. On Pan's Labyrinth, they used empty guns, and used CGI muzzle flashes. The actors were running around clicking fake guns and miming the kick.
If CGI is good for anything, this is it.

Like Brandon Lee, this is a total failure of safety procedures and a string of preventable events, and hopefully the business will learn from it.
It's just tragic that mother, wife and daughter had to lose her life before people noticed.