Anybody serious about coffee?

Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
To be fair, if it had issues, it might have been tough to fix. They are notorious for not being very user-friendly once something major goes wrong. And with a bajillion parts, a LOT can go wrong. I have a few Selectrics here that are currently little more than paper weights or door stops because they're not functioning ... and there are no local typewriter repair shops around. The one that was closest (2 hours, one way) used to look at Selectrics but he too has since stopped doing repairs.

So, that one could have looked fine but been in non-working condition with little hope of revival.

You ready? You look ready.
Selectrics are paperweights now.

Good luck finding anyone that will work on them. And even more luck needed to find parts. Plus, the most important parts are freaking plastic. My carriage won't advance anymore because a tiny little plastic piece broke. I mean, the typewriter was practically brand new from my gramps (I even have the receipt: $500!!). And that was with the employee discount he got from IBM.

I would love to get it fixed but it just ain't going to happen.

So in the back of the closet it shall sit for now, but I am never getting rid of it. It may not work, but it makes a fantastic art piece, including the table that came with it.

EDIT: One of the reasons why they are so advance is because they were designed with in office repairs in mind. Buy the machine and pay IBM for service. It made them boatloads of cash back in the day.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I just wouldn't know where to put the coffee =\

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

Selectrics are paperweights now.

Good luck finding anyone that will work on them. And even more luck needed to find parts. Plus, the most important parts are freaking plastic. My carriage won't advance anymore because a tiny little plastic piece broke. I mean, the typewriter was practically brand new from my gramps (I even have the receipt: $500!!). And that was with the employee discount he got from IBM.

I would love to get it fixed but it just ain't going to happen.

So in the back of the closet it shall sit for now, but I am never getting rid of it. It may not work, but it makes a fantastic art piece, including the table that came with it.

EDIT: One of the reasons why they are so advance is because they were designed with in office repairs in mind. Buy the machine and pay IBM for service. It made them boatloads of cash back in the day.
I actually do know people who fix them—I'm in a Facebook group that's just for Selectrics—but none of them live near me, and I ain't sending a Selectric through the mail! (Granted, I got several of mine on eBay and they were shipped, but it was pricey and dicey.)

Next time I attend that yearly typewriter gathering in West Virginia, I'll bring at least one of my Selectrics to hand off to one of the repair guys there. He can then have it for a year till the next meeting.

Oh, where were we? COFFEE.

Time for another mugful!

Buy the machine and pay IBM for service. It made them boatloads of cash back in the day.
This is very true.

Oh, where were we? COFFEE.
Who said we never stay on topic?

I don't like the coffee MacDonalds is making inside the shop, but I like their new coffee shop situated in front of the store at the entrance called McCoffee..... pretty good coffee there.... almost as good as the Starbucks.(well not really)...

I don't like the coffee MacDonalds is making inside the shop, but I like their new coffee shop situated in front of the store at the entrance called McCoffee..... pretty good coffee there.... almost as good as the Starbucks.(well not really)...
I’ve heard good things about their coffee & the price is good.

But ... I cannot buy coffee from a place where people are eating dead animals.

I’ve heard good things about their coffee & the price is good.

But ... I cannot buy coffee from a place where people are eating dead animals.
I don't really eat from them either. Just drinking the McCafe coffee.
And a regular cheesburger (or two) if I'm really hungry.
Don't really eat fast foods. I like cooked meals.

Of course seriously. My dream is to become a barista. And I have to have a good understanding of coffee brewing guides in order to be a good worker in the future. I don't like it when someone else makes coffee. I like to make it myself. That's what I started from. And from that came this desire for a future profession. So at the moment I'm studying everything related to the technology of making coffee. Making it for someone?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
yee ole ex gifted me a bag-o-grounds for me bir... ok wtf I'm actually typing like Chyp now. lol

The ex sent over a bag of coffee for my bday recently. KINDA out of the blue and unexpected. I don't have a coffee pot at home though, so brought it to work to share. Everyone here seems to enjoy it. It does have a slightly tart lemon kick up front for the first few sips, but you adjust to it and it fades almost as soon as you taste it. The coffee flavor then takes over.

It's not bitter. Not enough to need a sweetener or anything. Depending on how you make it, it's almost like a strong tea with just a drop of lemon. It's gotten a good response here and two of us have noticed that it must have a good bit of caffeine as we both were pinging about twenty minutes or so after downing a cup each. The bag is hell to get a spoon in and out of.

But I've been trying to ease off the caffeine to help my sleepless nights. So far so good, though I'm still adjusting.

yee ole ex gifted me a bag-o-grounds for me bir... ok wtf I'm actually typing like Chyp now. lol

The ex sent over a bag of coffee for my bday recently. KINDA out of the blue and unexpected. I don't have a coffee pot at home though, so brought it to work to share. Everyone here seems to enjoy it. It does have a slightly tart lemon kick up front for the first few sips, but you adjust to it and it fades almost as soon as you taste it. The coffee flavor then takes over.

It's not bitter. Not enough to need a sweetener or anything. Depending on how you make it, it's almost like a strong tea with just a drop of lemon. It's gotten a good response here and two of us have noticed that it must have a good bit of caffeine as we both were pinging about twenty minutes or so after downing a cup each. The bag is hell to get a spoon in and out of.

But I've been trying to ease off the caffeine to help my sleepless nights. So far so good, though I'm still adjusting.
I cannot imagine lemon as a coffee ingredient.

I cannot imagine lemon as a coffee ingredient.
AGREED. That's for weak-willed tea drinkers. Blech.

I'm back to good ol' Maxwell House here at home. And I got a new coffeemaker that automatically works with Alexa. I know many coffeemakers have timers built in, but I have no clue WHEN I'm going to want coffee on any given morning. Some nights I'm up way later than others and therefore get up later the next day. So, a timer wouldn't work. You need to know WHEN you want the coffeemaker to kick in. I never know.

So now I can simply wake up and, while I'm still in bed, croak out, "Alexa, turn on the coffeemaker."

And she cheerfully responds, "Okay!" By the time I'm dressed and down the steps, the coffee is ready.

I don't even have to set the clock or anything. The Alexa devices found it. And any Alexa device on the same network will be able to turn on the coffeemaker for me. I didn't even have to connect it to the home network. The network just found it. Best coffeemaker ever.

You too can be spoiled. Go here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TFLNDNR

So now I can simply wake up and, while I'm still in bed, croak out, "Alexa, turn on the coffeemaker."

And she cheerfully responds, "Okay!" By the time I'm dressed and down the steps, the coffee is ready.
Right, but can she make toast?

Right, but can she make toast?
You would think so! I mean, the toaster is mere INCHES away!

We have so much of our house automated now that I have to warn guests that lights seem to randomly go off and on by themselves, the bathroom floor heats up now and then, and the phone shouts out the number of whoever is calling. Such is life when married to an electrical engineer with no real hobbies.

You would think so! I mean, the toaster is mere INCHES away!

We have so much of our house automated now that I have to warn guests that lights seem to randomly go off and on by themselves, the bathroom floor heats up now and then, and the phone shouts out the number of whoever is calling. Such is life when married to an electrical engineer with no real hobbies.
I would kill for a heated bathroom floor. Never experienced the same, but I can only imagine.

My husband is an aircraft design engineer, but you wouldn’t believe how many on-off switches he installed in our house are back-to-front.

The day I automate anything in my house is the same day I’ll give a set of house keys over to the FBI

💀
Well, these are things mostly just tied to our home network/LAN and not the WAN. And nothing with the locks/keys. Those are all old school.

But hey, if the FBI wants to start hacking into the coffeemaker and turning it on for me in the morning, that's fine by me.