Dune (Denis Villeneuve, 2021)

Tools    

I don't know why anyone would give Lynch the task of doing a studio picture after watching Eraserhead
I don't think that giving Lynch Dune after Eraserhead is any different than giving Jackson Lord of the Rings after Braindead, or Sam Raimi Spider-man after the Evil Dead trilogy though. It seems to be a trend haha.

That's too bad. I don't know why anyone would give Lynch the task of doing a studio picture after watching Eraserhead, though, were they really expecting he'd easily take all of their barking orders?
I read that Ridley Scott had been the director but left the project, so Lynch was brought in. I think if Lynch could have done his original plan of a three hour long movie it would have been great. Dune the novel has way too much stuff in it to try and squeeze it into a 2 hour movie.

I think it's his visual style in things like Eraserhead and The Elephant Man. I think they saw something there that they connected to the dream, and purely visual, sequences that would be required in Dune and they were right on the money.

I don't think that giving Lynch Dune after Eraserhead is any different than giving Jackson Lord of the Rings after Braindead, or Sam Raimi Spider-man after the Evil Dead trilogy though. It seems to be a trend haha.
That's because horror directors are the best kind of directors.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
To this day, Lynch's version is my favorite. I couldn't care less for the TV series. The CGI was all sorts of crappy, the Guild portrayal was cringe worthy. Seriously, just look at this!!

The Baron on Lynch's version is way more menacing then the one on the Tv Series as well, as he should be.

Thanks for posting that! Interesting that there had been other Directors before Dennis Villenuve took over. I wonder how commented he is to the project?

To this day, Lynch's version is my favorite. I couldn't care less for the TV series. The CGI was all sorts of crappy, the Guild portrayal was cringe worthy. Seriously, just look at this!!

The Baron on Lynch's version is way more menacing then the one on the Tv Series as well, as he should be.
Yea! Another unabashed fan of Lynch's Dune I love Lynch's Dune, I know it's story is abbreviated but he wasn't allowed to make a 4 hour movie. I though his sets, art direction, directorial style, casting, everything was well done.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Oh cool. I loved the book when I was a kid but not so much the movie ap art from the score. From memory the acting was dreadful.

MC for the Great Underground Circus
Thanks for posting that! Interesting that there had been other Directors before Dennis Villenuve took over. I wonder how commented he is to the project?

Yea! Another unabashed fan of Lynch's Dune I love Lynch's Dune, I know it's story is abbreviated but he wasn't allowed to make a 4 hour movie. I though his sets, art direction, directorial style, casting, everything was well done.
I love you already!!!

So many people complaining that his version is nothing like the book. Well, I'm glad it isn't 100% faithful to it and he cut all unimportant stuff out [and included some delicious ones of his]. Great movie, great score, great acting.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Little Devil you might want to check out my review of Dune. My review explains more in detail of why I think many don't like the movie, yet I do like it.

My Dune review
Dune has been and may forever be in my top 10 favorite movies ever. I discovered it like in 5th grade maybe when a friend of mine ordered a movie poster featuring young Alia Atreides. I was already in love with sci-fi by then so this just rung a few bells in my heart. I rented it as soon as I could and was immediately taken in by its epic scale and internal monologues. I've always been an observer of sorts and would get lost in my own thoughts analyzing things around me so I found a weird sense of peace watching this movie in how often Paul narrated his thoughts. In a weird way, it was like I found home.

memory slips. Here is a better telling of the same story I forgot I posted here before!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...highlight=dune

As I typed that, I feel that I may have posted this somewhere else in these forums. Oh well.

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

....As I typed that, I feel that I may have posted this somewhere else in these forums. Oh well.
You have! but...it's a well written post and I enjoyed reading it again

Have you seen Dune (1984) many times? Have you seen both the theatrical cut and the extended (but also edited) version? If so do you have a preference?

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”

I remember in high school I had dad rent this because I just knew he would appreciate its depth. Halfway in my half sister passed out. Then the step sister. The the step mom left and went on to bed, leaving only my dad and I, together. I knew this movie would finally end our estranged relationship and bring us, finally, together with Dune as our binding element. When it ended, he turned to me and said, "That was the stupidest movie I've ever seen!" Then belted this "raaaaaah" in disbelief that he sat through it all.
That dad pain is real doe . I can't tell you how often I have tried to figure out the random stuff (like any of us watch) he watches and swear I've found something...

John Wick worked. That dog he says...

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
You have! but...it's a well written post and I enjoyed reading it again

Have you seen Dune (1984) many times? Have you seen both the theatrical cut and the extended (but also edited) version? If so do you have a preference?

I promise I did try to find it before posting!!

I have seen the theatrical many times. It used to play on HBO during summer days out of school and I was watch it every chance I could. It has been a few years now since I've seen it but I'm definitely tempted to pull it up again now.

I have a *cough* digital copy *cough* of some extended version. It looks like a rough draft with several introductory illustrated stills that cycle during narration. Place-holders, if you will, as if they intended to return and fill in the holes but never did. While that was very awkward, expecting a finished product, I did enjoy the additional information that it provided. As I remember it at least. Been a few years, as I noted.

Hell, now that I think about it that may have been last year when I first joined this place. I may have only just learned about an alternate version from these forums and found it from there. hmmmm.....

This might just do nobody any good.
That dad pain is real doe . I can't tell you how often I have tried to figure out the random stuff (like any of us watch) he watches and swear I've found something...

John Wick worked. That dog he says...
Why did I ever think Dead Man would work?

This might just do nobody any good.
To take the opportunity to make a challenging film he’s passionate about!

To take the opportunity to make a challenging film he’s passionate about!
a bomb is a bomb is a bomb...it doesnt matter how good the movie is...the stink of bomb will last for atleast decade