THE REVENANT
1.72%
1 votes
ROOM
13.79%
8 votes
SPOTLIGHT
58 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Okay, Spotlight was good, it deserved the nomination, but it did not deserve the win, any of the other films nominated (with the exception of Brooklyn) would have been a better choice.

I think we're seeing both the good and the bad of instant runoff voting with this selection: choices that are less daring, but a lot safer and less objectionable.

I have to return some videotapes...
Honestly, I don't really care that Spotlight won, it was a really good film I thought. I also don't think that Birdman was a safe choice and I think that it was a bold move by them, which they should be making more of. Other than that though, the show was terrible and I hate how they give them like 30 seconds to talk so no one can really make any speeches. They should only do one live performance and instead give more time to the people who have worked their lives for these awards.

I was of course hoping for The Revenant, but didn't hate that Spotlight won. It was very well-made all around and yeah the subject matter probably gave it more of an advantage. I think it's kinda weird when BP winners only win a total of 2 Oscars.

With that being said, I thought it was one of the worst award ceremonies I've ever seen. Not just Oscars, but any award show. The only good part was when Leo won.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I was of course hoping for The Revenant, but didn't hate that Spotlight won. It was very well-made all around and yeah the subject matter probably gave it more of an advantage. I think it's kinda weird when BP winners only win a total of 2 Oscars.
Not unheard of, the 1953 film The Greatest Show On Earth did this as well. But yeah...it's been awhile.

I am the Watcher in the Night
Spotlight is ok...it would probably make a better TV drama. That's not me putting it down, that's just me being honest and the reality is, the three best movies were Sicario, Mad Max and The Big Short. I guess their political/social/cultural message didn't fit into the playbook of the modern media message the way Spotlight did.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Spotlight felt very much like 12 years a slave, they were both good films that deserved nominations for best picture, and both ended up wrongfully winning in my opinion. They both focused on tragic abuse of people, but didn't really offer up much else, remaining on just one note to carry them through.

I haven't seen Spotlight so can't comment on the quality of film making, but yes it covers an important subject, but that alone shouldn't give it Best Picture. I did however see 12 Years a Slave also an important subject and it was exceptionally well made with a powerfully told story. Selma on the other hand also told an import subject, but was poorly made....it's very important story wasn't told well.

I hope we haven't moved into a period of film making where social conscious subject matter equates to Best Picture material. Because quality of film making is more important than the subject it covers.

Not unheard of, the 1953 film The Greatest Show On Earth did this as well. But yeah...it's been awhile.
I think All Quiet on the Western Front only won 2 as well, but that was the very beginning of the Oscars so I'm not sure if there were as many awards then as today.

Argo only had 3 a few years ago. Seems to be becoming more popular to not completely dominate the night.
I think 12 Years a Slave did as well. 3 isn't that bad imo, but 2 seems pretty slim. I'm not saying that it's wrong or anything, just odd.

I haven't seen Spotlight so can't comment on the quality of film making, but yes it covers an important subject, but that alone shouldn't give it Best Picture. I did however see 12 Years a Slave also an important subject and it was exceptionally well made with a powerfully told story. Selma on the other hand also told an import subject, but was poorly made....it's very important story wasn't told well.

I hope we haven't moved into a period of film making where social conscious subject matter equates to Best Picture material. Because quality of film making is more important than the subject it covers.
That is precisely what I'm saying, Spotlight seems to depend a bit to much on the subject matter, although it's still well made.

And you are the first person I've met that agrees with me on this kind of thing.