Megamind Movie Review

→ in
Tools    

Big Chico's Movie Blog
This weekend I had probably the time at the movies I have had in awhile. It started with going to see “Megamind 3D” with my daughter Lil’ Chica. I didn’t think any movie could be as good as the animated movie “Up” but “Megamind” was as good if not better in certain instances. Incase you’re not aware here’s the plot:

After super-villain Megamind (Ferrell) kills his good-guy nemesis, Metro Man (Pitt), he becomes bored since there is no one left to fight. He creates a new foe, Titan (Hill), who, instead of using his powers for good, sets out to destroy the world, positioning Megamind to save the day for the first time in his life. Written byIMDb Editors

The Good:
The best thing about this movie was the script. A lot of kid’s movies talk down to kids and try to dumb down the script. “Megamind” was smart and was cause for a lot of conversation between my daughter and myself after the movie. It didn’t hurt that the movie had the brilliant talents and wit of Tina Fey, Will Ferrell, and Jonah Hill to deliver the lines. For instance there’s one part of the movie where Megamind is despondent about killing Megaman at Megaman’s museum. Instead of making it out to be another joke the film makers instead chose to have the lead character Megamind really contemplate the consequences of his actions and show the lonlyness that comes with being evil. This one part of the movie alone was the point of a 20 minute discussion with my daughter. The movie also had some instances scary situations thanks to Jonah Hill’s character “Tighten”. The intensity the character had about destroying Mega City was terrifying. My daughter was literally scared that Tighten was going to kill Roxanne Richie (Tina Fey) before Megamind could save her. It was frigg’in awesome. When I go to see a kid’s movie I don’t need innuendo of an adult nature to keep me enthralled I need a good script that provokes my children in some thought so we can have some great discussion later.

Now that I got the adult version of what was great out of the way let’s talk about what was great for the kids. The movie is hysterical. Megamind is probable the smartest inept bad guy in the history of kids movies. Even though he has these great plans to destroy Megaman he has know idea what he’s doing once they go into effect. Megamind also has the one of the best flares for a theatrical entrance in history of movie villains. Just check out some of the music that Megamind times his entrances to:

“Highway to Hell” – AC/DC
“Survival” – The O’Jays
“Get Up Offa That Thing” – James Brown
“Street Fighting Man” – The Rolling Stones
“Rock This Town” – Stray Cats
“Should I Stay or Should I Go?” – The Clash
“Super Villain” – Powerman 5000
“Le Freak” – Chic
“Run This Town” – Jay-Z
“It’s The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)” – R.E.M.
“Heroes and Villains” – The Beach Boys
“You Get What You Give” – New Radicals

I found my daughter and myself laughing and enjoy every aspect of this movie.

The Bad:
Two things really annoyed me in this movie the first being the use of Brad Pitt as Megaman. Megaman thankfully was minor characters in the movie so it begs the question why have Brad Pitt play the role. It’s not that Pitt was horrible as Megaman, but why do studios think that they need a big name to voice a character to make a great movie better. With Pitt being in the movie I found myself wondering throughout the movie when is Megaman coming back. It served as more of a distraction to have him voice the role then an asset.

The second being I had to see it in 3D. Was there screens showing in 2D, yes, but you try telling your Princess she can’t see the movie in 3D because you don’t like it. I would rather have Freddy Krueger as my proctologist. Can someone please inform Hollywood not every movie needs to be in 3D!? 3D did nothing for this movie.

Over all:
This is a great family movie fore everyone. For kids 6 and under it might be a little scary, but over all I would say not to miss this one at the theaters.

I would give Megamind:
4 out of 5 (because of the 3D)

Thanks for the review. I haven't made it out to see this yet (and may have to wait for the DVD with the large brood I have - it's over $100 to see a 2D movie these days), but it still sounds like it has everything that makes for a great family film.

Saw this movie couple of days ago..

Loved it. Saw it in 3D & by far the best 3D movie I have seen.
I even enjoyed it more than the Avatar 3D experience..

The scenes where the characters are flying the city are priceless...

The voiceacting makes it even more special.. Will Ferrell & David Cross are just too damn good.

& Above all you'll be walking away from the movie thinking how awesome & cool the character of Megamind was...

I saw this movie recently. I absolutely loved it. It's been a long time since I enjoyed so much an animated movie. I did not watch it in 3D though, but It was funny as hell. Great film.