Who's your favorite movie Nazi?

Tools    

I, too, am surprised; surprised that you didn't see the huge picture of Neeson as Schindler that Mark posted on the second page of this thread.
No need to be so abrupt about it. I don't have images enabled because I'm on a slow internet connection currently.

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
I know he wasn't really a nazi, but he resembled one though, Charlie Chaplin in The Great Dictator, the speech he gave at the end was epic.

Greets
Spikez

No need to be so abrupt about it. I don't have images enabled because I'm on a slow internet connection currently.
You may want to either enable that option for threads like this, or not post that you are surprised when certain characters are being left out. No one is going to know that you have that option turned off, so it appears that you are not reading the entire thread.

Just sayin'!

Kurt Jurgens was the Nazi I grew up watching, and of course, Werner Klemperer (Colonel Klink in Hogan's Heroes).
Interestingly, Klemperer’s father was a Jew and the family fled the Nazis in 1935; John Banner, Sgt. Schultz in the same Hogan’s Heroes TV series, was a Jew who was in a Nazi concentration camp. Curd (Kurt) Jergins was critical of the Nazis in his native Germany and in 1944 was placed in a concentration camp as a “political unreliable.” Ironically, Jergins later played in a film Werner Von Braun, a German Nazi who became head of the post-war US rocket program instead of being tried as the war criminal he was.

Otto Preminger, the tough Nazi commandant of Stalag 17, also was a Jew.

You may want to either enable that option for threads like this, or not post that you are surprised when certain characters are being left out. No one is going to know that you have that option turned off, so it appears that you are not reading the entire thread.

Just sayin'!
Some of these threads run so long that it's difficult to keep up with what has or has not been posted, even with all the options switched on. I know I've missed some myself. I suspect even the redoubtable Pike may have occasionally made a boo-boo. (I've seen some going back several pages over several years that I doubt anyone has read lately in its entirety.)

I've particularly had a problem when someone has simply posted a picture without identifying the person depicted. Pike was good enough to correct my incorrect guess as to the person in such a photo in this very thread.

Some of these threads run so long that it's difficult to keep up with what has or has not been posted, even with all the options switched on. I know I've missed some myself. I suspect even the redoubtable Pike may have occasionally made a boo-boo. (I've seen some going back several pages over several years that I doubt anyone has read lately in its entirety.)

I've particularly had a problem when someone has simply posted a picture without identifying the person depicted. Pike was good enough to correct my incorrect guess as to the person in such a photo in this very thread.
Yep, which is why we shouldn't post our surprise to characters being left out of a topic. I'll agree, it would be nice if the names were added to the photos. This thread is short enough to keep up with, but I've come across some that were pages and pages long. I honestly didn't have the desire to read it all, so I just left the commonly used . . . "In case it's not been mentioned" . . .

OK, back on topic . . .

I like pretty much every character that's been listed.

Originally Posted by newt
Im wondering does Derek Vinyard count as off the top of my head he is my favorite movie Nazi he is in one of my favorite movies. This is a very interesting thread and Im going to give this more thought and get back to you.
However, I saw just a bit of this on TV once, and you couldn't pay me to watch it. It is way too disturbing.

Manolo, Shoot That Piece Of Sh*t!
very tragic and cruel!! if i live in that time, i would surely kill hitler!
1. You think no one would have thought of that?
2. How can you be sure it would have turned out for the best if you killed him? Remember that Hitler took Germany out of a great economic crisis, he lowered the jobless percentages to 0%. I don't agree with his ideas, but killing, him, I don't know, it wouldn't necessairily be better.

Greets
Spikez

Spikez's DVD Collection

Last Movie Seen: The Breakfast Club

. . . so I just left the commonly used . . . "In case it's not been mentioned" . . .
I understand where you're coming from and agree with your suggestion to downplay any "surprise" at any entries thought to be previously unmentioned. But we know some people are going to sound critical in their response to even your suggestion, whether they mean to be or not, so there's really no "safe" way to say, "Gee, wonder why this star or film hasn't been mentioned yet."

Remember that Hitler took Germany out of a great economic crisis, he lowered the jobless percentages to 0%.
Germany's economic crisis helped bring Hitler to political power but his primary campaign promise was not economic but law and order--the disorder being primarily the street brawls between the Nazis and their communist opponents. Putting Germany into a military buildup by taking unemployed youth off the streets and putting them into the military and spending taxes for military weapons and uniforms is not exactly the same as resolving Germany's economic problems, which got even worse as the war progressed, particularly the lack of housing and food and falling value of the mark.

Facism is based on a strong centralized autocratic dictatorial government with severe economic and social regimentation and forcible suppression of opposition. Like communism, facism is a planned economy in which government decree determines what products are developed by what companies. Communism goes further with state ownership of factories and means of production. But both facism and communism determine where the individual works and what he is paid for his labor. Both even made use of slave labor. German manufacturers and the German military thought they could use Hitler to rebuild their pre-WWI power and then control or later cast him aside. But they learned too late they could not do so.

The recent Tom Cruise film about the best known attempt to kill Hitler is a good example of the Army waiting until too late to turn on Hitler. The officers involved in that plot waited until 1944 before they turned on Hitler, and then only because Germany was losing the war as a result of some extremely bad decisions by Hitler and the Nazis--the chief of which was violating a peace treaty to attack Russia, which put Germany in a war on two fronts.

Germans and Italians made disasterous choices in backing the facists and paid for it through the near destruction of both countries and the deaths of millions.

My Favorite Nazis;

Ralph Fiennes - Amon Goeth
Gregory Peck - Dr. Josef Mengele
Peter Sellers - Dr. Strangelove
Michael Byrne - Many many many - Vogel from I.J. & the Last Crusade
Michael Sonye - Mengele - Surf Nazis Must Die
Robert Shaw - Col. Hessler - Battle of the Bulge
Charlie Chaplan - The Great Dictator

I don't know who designed the Gestapo uniform;
Black
Red Arm Band
Death Head Pin on Cap
Leather
More Leather
Wow!

But I wish I had that guy for production design.
Best dressed soldiers of WWII? Duh. The Germans.

Even Mel Brooks looks good in a Nazi uniform! They just look like movie costumes.

You think that's what they had in mind?

I don't know who designed the Gestapo uniform;
Black
Red Arm Band
Death Head Pin on Cap
Leather
More Leather
Wow!

But I wish I had that guy for production design.
Best dressed soldiers of WWII? Duh. The Germans.

Even Mel Brooks looks good in a Nazi uniform! They just look like movie costumes.
Here's a great sketch about the SS uniform from "That Mitchell & Webb Look"...

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I think Mitchel & Webb are a bit hit and miss, but that sketch is, by far, the funniest thing they've ever done, IMO. If I remember correctly, it was the first sketch of episode number 1, series 1 of That Mitchell and Webb Look. It was all downhill from there.

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
I was going to say Yul Brynner in The Journey.

Upon further research it seems he was a soviet solider and not a Nazi. All those years, all those fantasies, I had were based on him being a Nazi, oh well. It just goes to show, be careful when you sneak into the living room to watch the late, late show at your grandparents, kids! LOL!

Yul will remain my fav faux fantasy Nazi anyway!

Facism is based on a strong centralized autocratic dictatorial government with severe economic and social regimentation and forcible suppression of opposition.
Completely misses the basic ideal of facism: subordination of the individual to the collective whole; i.e. an obscene extension of the idea of the paternally-headed family unit to the scale of a nation.

Communism goes further with state ownership of factories and means of production.
Wrong. You mean USSR and PRC. This is what you mean. In Communism, there is no state. All the totalitarian stuff that was done was "allegedly" for the purpose of achieving a worker-based national autonomy at which point the state would wither away. The rest is Stalin. He was a simple man and far from Marx.

You cannot say communism and fascism are almost the same thing by straw-manning both with a definition of totalitarianism. They are literally polar opposites.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Ok, TV and not a movie, and not really sure if he was a Nazi, but one of my favorite German army characters nonetheless.
John Banner as Sergeant Schultz

I second Toht from Raiders.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Not a movie, but I'm going to go with John Cleese as Mister Hilter.

For interested parties, Hitler--Dead or Alive can be found on Weird Cinema: 15 Freaky Flicks disc one.

Here is the Netflix link, http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Weird_Cinema_15_Freaky_Flicks/70082048?strackid=5cce4a697fffc788_0_srl&strkid=1711367681_0_0&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&trkid=222336.

When I saw how ancient this thread was I thought somone was going to update this thread with Christoph Waltz from Inglorious Basterds.

I'll add Maximilian Aldorfer (Dirk Bogarde) from The Night Porter
And Kurt Gertstein from Amen

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Christoph Waltz was extremely good as Colonel Hans Landa in Quentin Tarantino's masterpiece Inglourious Basterds (2009), but is definitely a close second to Amon Goeth played impeccably by Ralph Fiennes in Schindler's List (1993). There has never been a more chilling type of film villian than a Nazi.