If it's 3-D, will they come?

Tools    

3D is certianly the future.
Maybe. But that's what they said in the 1950s and 1970s-80s. Maybe 3-D will catch on this time. But maybe not.

The ONLY movie I'm interested in seeing in 3-D is James Cameron's Avatar. Everything out there (and on the way) really doesnt need to be in 3-D.... like Bolt, Monsters and Aliens, Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, U2 in concert, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Ice Age 3, Toy Story and so on...... Those would do fine in 2-D.

They are just overdoing the concept....Its not necessary unless you have a product..or film ...that needs it to be extroadinary.

They even took 3-D to new lows with an episode of Chuck.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
The ONLY movie I'm interested in seeing in 3-D is James Cameron's Avatar. Everything out there (and on the way) really doesnt need to be in 3-D.... like Bolt, Monsters and Aliens, Hannah Montana, Jonas Brothers, U2 in concert, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Ice Age 3, Toy Story and so on...... Those would do fine in 2-D.
I agree somewhat on this topic, I just think that concert films in 3-D is a good idea. I mean 3-D is supposed to help drag you in, and if I'm paying 8 bucks to see U2, I wanna be dragged in.

RightUpTheLittleTramps@ss !
If 3D wasn't so much money. Then maybe, just maybe I'd go see a 3D movie! There is one of my movies that original came straight to dvd, its going to be a theatrical release in 3D! So like I said. I will see.

Arnie Cunningham- Right up the little tramps @ss!

If 3D wasn't so much money. Then maybe, just maybe I'd go see a 3D movie! There is one of my movies that original came straight to dvd, its going to be a theatrical release in 3D! So like I said. I will see.
I'm not sure where abouts you live but my local theatre that shoots 3D movies charge you standard movie going rates then an extra £2 for the glasses, you get to keep the glasses and the next movie that is being shown in 3D you take your own pair and just pay the movie going rate, which is about £6 here anyway.
The Imax experience is pretty steep with me paying £11.50 to watch 'The Dark Knight' lucky for me i had seen the movie before and we had a power cut right at the end of the film so we all got a free pass which i used on Monsters vs Aliens 3D.
mermermer... panties on.

I'm not sure where abouts you live but my local theatre that shoots 3D movies charge you standard movie going rates then an extra £2 for the glasses, you get to keep the glasses and the next movie that is being shown in 3D you take your own pair and just pay the movie going rate, which is about £6 here anyway.
Sounds good, anyway. But I'm guessing that the ear-pieces on the 3-D glasses are fixed straight out so you can't fold them and drop them in your pocket, right? And I'll bet that the plastic used in the ear-pieces isn't particularly thick or strong and are therefore more liable to breakage. The younger the child coming out of the theater with 3-D glasses, the more likely the glasses will be broken or lost on the way home. And what do you do with them when you get home--toss 'em in a drawer? On a top shelf of a closet? Something shaped like an opened pair of eye-glasses is not easily storeable where the lens won't get scratched or the ear-pieces broken or entangled with something. Don't know what it's like around your place, but around mine, out of sight is often totally forgotten. Say 6 weeks later (if that soon), there's another 3-D film you want to go to, what are the odds that you'll a) remember before you leave the house that you bought glasses last time, b) remember where you put the darn things. And say you're gonna get a burger or do some shopping before or after the movie, where do you put those awkward 3-D glasses so that they're out of your way, free your hands, won't be broken or scratched, or lost, etc.

I suspect your average movie fan will say, "What the hell, it's just 2 pounds (about $5 US?). I'll buy another pair when I get there."

What's proper, I wonder, if you're taking a date to the movies and you have your 3D glasses and she doesn't. Should she have to pay for her own glasses, or do you do the gentlemanly thing and buy her another pair without griping her out for forgetting hers. Or if you buy a second pair, should you get the new glasses and give her the old, or still be the gentleman and give her the new pair you've just paid for. After the movie, do you take home both pair of glasses or do you trust her again with the new pair you've bought? Do you then begin noticing other thoughtless and aggravating characteristics about her? How many 3-D glasses do you buy before you break up with her?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The glasses are foldable and very strong. In the U.S., you're supposed to return them since they're only good if the film is projected in 3-D, and about half of the 3-D movies around her are projected in 2-D.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
When my wife and I went, we kept ours. They fold and are much like regular glasses. They're handy just in case there's another 3D television show or commercial around Super Bowl time.

Luckily, your glasses are paid for in your price of admission here.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

The glasses are foldable and very strong. In the U.S., you're supposed to return them since they're only good if the film is projected in 3-D, and about half of the 3-D movies around her are projected in 2-D.
Apparently my cynicism about 3-D glasses is unwarranted. The only 3-D and glasses I've seen since the cardboard and paper models of the 1950s are those in DisneyWorld, which I recall as being modeled of unfoldable plastic in what I saw as a deliberate attempt to make it as difficult as possible to shove the glasses in a pocket, purse, or backpack without damaging them, thus increasing the odds that the glasses would be tossed in the return bins as folks exit the theaters.

Here's an example of the more, shall we say up to date, 3-D glasses...

There the ones i were given also, comfy to wear and fit over regular glasses ok incase you have to (like my girlfriend)
They also work on various 3D films i got mine when i saw Bloody Valentine and took them again to see Bolt & everything was cool.

Also Rufnek; If you go on a date maybe you won't need the 3D glasses and bother watching the film at all hehe

New kid on the block... old hat in the biz
With the movie business booming despite the economy, I think viewers will shell it out for 3-D. They might spend less on popcorn and candy as a trade-off though. Like it or not 3-D is on its way and here to stay for now. It's the best way studios can combat piracy.

Also Rufnek; If you go on a date maybe you won't need the 3D glasses and bother watching the film at all hehe
Well, my biggest problem at the movies today is having to ask my wife, "What'd he say?" But there once were many nights I parked on the back row of the local drive-in--the row without speakers.

Your comment reminded me out of the blue of an incident I hadn't thought about in years. I was once at a movie and totally focused on nibbling this young lady's ear when her earring got caught in my teeth! She had pierced ears and while I do not have teeth like the late Terry-Thomas, the post between her ear-lobe and and the fastener managed to slip up in a small space between my front teeth. It was easily fixed and certainly not the worst thing that ever happened, but it was momentarily embarassing.
Years later when my sons were in braces, I thought what a disaster that would have been if that erriing got caught in all of that wiring. But nobody wore braces back in the '60s. We went to the dentist only if a tooth needed to be pulled or filled and to the doctor only when we couldn't stop the bleeding.

I hate the glasses.. If i wanted to be uncomfortable for an hour and a half i would watch adult movies with my grandma
I don't know.
Is it Captain Howdy?

There's an interesting article in today's Wall Street Journal under the headline "Will This 3-D Fad Fizzle Too?" The article makes the point that the whole purpose of 3-D is "to exceed previous limitations and provide the audience with an experience that formerly was unimaginable. If the film doesn't do that, who will find it compelling once the novelty wears off?"

3-D was seen in the 1950s as a means to get people back in the theaters from their television sets. It faded when television proved to be another commercial outlet for Hollywood instead of a competitor. According to the article, today's 3-D is Hollywood's effort to win back audiences from the Internet.

Problem is, according to this article, many movie goers now are paying 3-D prices--an extra $4-5/ticket--for a 2-D experience, especially in film's like Clash of the Titans that was shot in 2-D and later converted to 3-D. It also said the 3-D effects of Alice in Wonderland are essentially lack-luster and don't contribute that much over the 2-D version.

It might be better for films that are conceived and originally shot in 3-D, like How to Train Your Dragon, it said. But it questions the point of rereleasing in 3-D a classic like Disney's Beauty and the Beast that was so popular in 2-D. "Enabling animated dishes to jump on the screeen doesn't make the interaction between audience and film different enough to necessitate the movie being shown in 3-D," it argues.

Semper Fooey
When they can get the 3d effect without the glasses, it'll be really big. But I'm not wearing glasses over my glasses to watch a movie.

Originally Posted by jrs (2 days a go)

Ticket Price Hike for 3D Movies Effective Tomorrow

Those 3D movies have been raking in the cash but you know what they could be doing better? Raking in more cash. This is the thinking of theater owners today as they’ve decided that since movie tickets for 3D films aren’t expensive enough, the price of a movie ticket for a film in 3D (and in some cases, movie tickets for 2D films) will go up. The Wall Street Journal reports:

By how much the ticket price will go up will most likely vary among markets and theater chain, but for example, at the Regal Union Square 14 in New York, Alice in Wonderland today costs $16.50 for a non-matinee 3D show. Starting tomorrow, it will cost $17. Today, a ticket to see an IMAX 3D movie at the Regal Mall of Georgia costs $15.50 for a non-matinee show. Tomorrow, it will cost $17.50.

Source: Collider