Saw on TV two recent films I didn't see months ago when they were in the theaters.

One was the remake of True Grit, which is a much better film with a much better cast than the original. Funny thing, however, the guy playing the Texas Ranger didn't bring any more to the role than did pop singer Glenn Campbell in the original. Maybe it's just a lousy part with lousy lines no matter who plays it.

Another odd thing, the guy playing "Lucky Ned" leader of the outlaw gang, was every bit as good at milking an interesting performance out of a relatively small part as was Robert Duval in the original. But Bridges was head and shoulders over Wayne in filling out the leading role of Rooster Cogburn. A really great performance. I can understand now why he got an Oscar nominaton for the remake of so recent a film classic.

If Hollywood is going to remake Westerns, I wish they would do so like the Cohen Brothers instead of trashing them like 3:10 to Yuma.

The other film I saw on TV was the Argentine murder mystery that won the Oscar for best foreign film in 2010, The Secret in Their Eyes. This is the type of film I like best--a film noireish element, well-developed characters well acted, good dialogue, and an ending that isn't telegraphed to the viewer halfway through the movie.

I've said before in this forum I don't expect a movie to change my life. Few are still on my mind days or even hours later. But this one is an exception to that rule. This gave me a different perspective on punishment of a murderer.

Anyway, it's a damn good film. Those of you who haven't seen it should do so as soon as possible.