mark f makes a seriously honest request

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I know someone from here (and she's too modest to say who it is and I'll respect that) who got a large chunk of rep removed because she felt it was getting silly. That was in the days before 'One man one rep' though, so it's a bit of a different situation.

Until someone prises that mouse from my cold, dead hand! Erm...

Just make sure you acknowledge me somehow, good or bad. I like the acknowledgement.
I understand this completely Mark, I often get more satisfaction from someone commenting on one of my posts than I do from a rep point. It lets me know they've read the review and not just clicked the thumbs up icon whilst breezing past. Now I'm not saying people do this, I'm just saying it's reassuring to get constructive feedback. I like getting rep for sure, but someone letting me know they appreciated one of my posts can be rewarding too.

Plus please don't shoot me down in flames for this MoFo's, but I think there's been far too much rep flying around on the site in recent months. When I first joined I only received rep for particularly insightful reviews or discussion points. Now it seems even throw away comments and smilies are worth a rep point which just devalues, and makes a mockery of the system in my opinion. I also think there's an unspoken 'I'll rep you and you rep me' culture going on amongst some users. People wont admit it, but it's there, and it's wrong. Posts should be repped on merit, not because the poster repped you earlier. I think the system needs capping somehow. If people were only allowed to give out a set number of points a day, they might be a little more selective over what (and not who) they rep. Just sayin'

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
There is nothing wrong in being a whore.
It's ok to be in denial, that's what the MoFo Support Group is for.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I understand this completely Mark, I often get more satisfaction from someone commenting on one of my posts than I do from a rep point. It lets me know they've read the review and not just clicked the thumbs up icon whilst breezing past. Now I'm not saying people do this, I'm just saying it's reassuring to get constructive feedback. I like getting rep for sure, but someone letting me know they appreciated one of my posts can be rewarding too.

Plus please don't shoot me down in flames for this MoFo's, but I think there's been far too much rep flying around on the site in recent months. When I first joined I only received rep for particularly insightful reviews or discussion points. Now it seems even throw away comments and smilies are worth a rep point which just devalues, and makes a mockery of the system in my opinion. I also think there's an unspoken 'I'll rep you and you rep me' culture going on amongst some users. People wont admit it, but it's there, and it's wrong. Posts should be repped on merit, not because the poster repped you earlier. I think the system needs capping somehow. If people were only allowed to give out a set number of points a day, they might be a little more selective over what (and not who) they rep. Just sayin'
Personally, I'd love it if rep was comment-only or a way could be implemented that you could only give rep if you also left a comment (and I know this was discussed at length before and it was pointed out to me how unworkable this might become).

Until we do away with it completely I'm still gonna rep who I want when I want, and I'm afraid that includes young Mr Eff (providing he meets my stringent guidelines of making me smile or nod). That said, getting a lightsaber isn't the honour it once was...

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Yoda
Unless people are giving you rep for posts in the Quote of the Day thread.
Guilty. But hey, it was mainly for film-insight ones i hadn't heard

Things I rep are, reviews, funny comments, exciting announcements. I don't think an "I agree" comment should get repped, but I believe it happens. I'm not saying the system is broken, but rep is something that should increase at a snails pace. I'm not even to 1000 points yet, and that's fine with me, a lot of what I say (most of the time) doesn't deserve rep. Sure, rep my reviews if you like what I had to say, but don't just do it because you can. I can't count how many times I've received numerous numbers of rep in my review thread for reviews that have been there for over a year.

Some people have different reservations regarding reputation, which is fine with me, but unless it's something insightful, clever or funny, don't rep me either.

Do you all think that maybe rep is starting to be taken too seriously?
By some, yes. I won't say I'm one of them, I just don't demand rep. Sure, it's nice to get that lightsaber, much like it was nice to get the title of being a Squirrel Jumper. I remember a lot of people would post nonsense simply trying to get past 5,000 posts. To some, these titles mean you're respected and are knowledgable, which is something they want to be recognized for. To others, it's just another title.

Guilty. But hey, it was mainly for film-insight ones i hadn't heard
I'm guilty too... but I love quotes... so sue me... I also rep for anything else that strikes my fancy... reviews, random comments, jokes, art work, cool pictures, personal pictures, and even Holden rants from time to time.... just to name a few...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Frankly, the whole rep system stresses me out. I almost feel like the thing is a behavior modification thing because it puts this need on people to be perfect and say charming/good things in order to get positive points, but if you get negative points, it's like a slap on the hand by a nun ~ CHANGE YOUR WAYS!!!!! It can feel like punishment. You're also at the mercy of other people's opinions. For example, I've been neg repped repeatedly by Adidasss in the past for being too flamboyantly gay! (Sorry to put you into this, Adides, don't neg rep him cause of me).

There's something kind of Clockwork Orange-ish with the rep system, I think.

I can understand Mark F's personal dilemma with the thing. I too sometimes get positive rep for things I feel are silly. Like when I wish someone happy birthday and it isn't even the repper's birthday, I still get rep. I'm glad you find me all sweet and kind for saying "happy birthday" to someone else, but was that rep point really WORTH IT?

On the other hand, "No More Rep Points For Me Until September!" is a bit bonkers. Now I have to remember not to positive rep Mark F until then and maybe beyond!

AND I HAVE TO REMEMBER TO BE GOOD! And write truly majestic posts! I have to remember to always be a little funny! And now I've got to watch out for Mark F's posts on top of that!!!

*lays down on the psychiatrist's couch*

My life isn't written very well.
Someone else gives you rep for posting Happy Birthday? That is odd! Now you guys are starting to stress me out...Maybe the points shouldn't be called "rep", rather something else that reflects their intentions.

Besides, nobody that has a long line of red under their name is still here (are they?).

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

I guess we're due another rep discussion thread.

I'm just gonna copy and paste what I put in the others only I might translate them out of Latin and into metric. Or something.

I have given a little thought to disallowing rep in the Birthdays & Introductions forum, and a few threads (like Quote of the Day). But I don't think we need to resort to anything like that just yet. Really, even if it's getting used a little too much...is that really terrible? I'd prefer people use it more seriously all the time, but I'm not particularly troubled when they don't. It's not like it has a major effect on their ability to post, it's just a nice nudge in one direction or the other.

Anyway, there will definitely be ongoing tweaking with the system at some point, but every radical idea I or others have come up with has at least one huge hole and/or logistical problem, so I think this basic setup is probably still the best, save for some minor details.

Mark, I'll do my best to remember not to positive (or negative) rep you for a while, I have too much respect to do otherwise...
but there may come a time when I get home from the bar or a party or something and read something you post and will just simply have to rep you