18th-19th century movie recomendations

Tools    

Hi all,

I'm totally in love with this time period and im looking form movies from 18th to mid 19th century. (1700-1860)

Examples would be brotherhood of the wolf, the count of Monte Cristo, sleepy hollow, perfume, from hell, pirates OTC, waterloo, the duchess, master and commander, cyrano de bergerac, alatriste, sweeney todd, the musketeer, etc.

you get the idea, basically anything Victorian era, or sword and musket kinda film , it can be anything from war movie, mystery, comedy, romance. Foreing films are ok as long as i can find them with subs,

thx

Umm i think you should invest in wikipedia. They did not make movies in the 17 and 1800s. Those movies you listed were 20th century. No such thing as "Victorian" film.

okay joking...

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Duellists
Barry Lyndon
The Devil's Disciple
Dangerous Liaisons
The Patriot
(Mel Gibson)
The Horseman on the Roof
Danton
Love and Death
Queen Margot
Romeo and Juliet ('68)
The Taming of the Shrew
The Three Musketeers/The Four Museteers
(Richard Lester)

Some of those are set before 1700, but since you included titles earlier too, I thought these were all OK.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Buffalo (Eadweard Muybridge - 1887)

Oops, read the title wrong.

You state that your looking for anything except horror when you put down Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd, and From Hell as examples. I would certainly recommend the horror genre to be one of the first places to explore films set in that time.

There's a bunch of classic horror flicks that were set in and before that time. A few Price/Corman films such as "The Haunted Palace," "The Pit and the Pendulum," or "The Masque of the Red Death" are worth looking in to, even though some take place before the 18th and 19th century, they have much of the setting and mood that is in the films your looking for.

Again, the horror classics are a great place to explore. Haunted 18th century castles and such were ideal settings for scare films. Hammer Horror productions such as "Horror of Dracula" are certainly worth checking out. The old Karloff/Lugosi pictures were often set in that time period as well. Frankenstein and Dracula being the most notable ones as well as the highest recommendations I can give set in that time period.

From the look of your first post your looking more for modern films. If you don't like the idea of watching the aforementioned then I recommend Scorsese's "Gangs of New York," or Coppola's "Dracula" often labeled as "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I forgot that Sergei Bondarchuk's War and Peace will keep you enthralled for eight hours. I'd think that The Fearless Vampire Killers would work and for Henry James, I recommend The Innocents and The Heiress, and if you want a newer James adaptation, there's Scorsese's The Age of Innocence. Plus don't forget Sherlock Holmes movies.

Some of these might fit the bill for what you're looking for...

Sense and Sensibility
Mansfield Park
Emma
Rob Roy
Plunkett & Macleane
Marie Antoinette
Amadeus
Barry Lyndon
Molière
Stage Beauty
The Man in the Iron Mask
Pride and Prejudice
Becoming Jane
The Mission
The Madness of King George
Les miserables

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

thx all for your reply's, Johnny Chimpo you really had me going there for a minute, mark f and caitlyn great suggestions i had not heard of almost any of them, and the buffalo was great i stared at it for like 30 seconds.

as for the horror movies i don't consider those movies horror (just from my point of view), i would say sleepy hollow and from hell is a dark mystery, and sweeny todd a musical/comedy (a very bloody one). Its interesting how johnny depp is in so many of those movies.

but you are totally correct, i am deniying myself some wonderfull movies by saying no to horror, i should correct myself and say i was referring to movies where the main point is watching people die/Gore.

thx again

Queen Margot (La Reine Margot) and The Horseman On The Roof (Le Hussard sur le Toit) are both excellent examples and great films, especially the first. As I was going to suggest it, I'd agree that the Sherlock Holmes films would be a good source too and, along with the films, there's plenty of tv adaptations (BBC in particular) of Victorian novels (Dickens, Bronte's and Doyle especially)

Interview With The Vampire
The Prestige
The Illusionist
Angels And Insect
Gothic
Elizabeth (a bit early, but still)
Dangerous Liaisons
The Picture Of Dorian Gray
Wilde
The Lair Of The White Worm
The Portrait Of A Lady
The Go-Between
Orlando
The Governess

Just finished "the horseman on the roof" and it was exactly what i was looking for, it would be in my top 20 if not for the ending that left me wanting to know more about the characters.

thx again, next up is the duellist or barry lyndon, wichever i can find.

I saw the tree musketeers, it was intertaning but a little silly, it was fun to see Jack Bauer kicking but in the 17th century together with charlie Harper.

I also saw the duellist and i loved it, at first i was surprised that the whole plot of the film centered around a silly argument, but i really enjoyed how the characters developed figthing all the way from lieutenant to generals every chance they got, especially enjoyed the uniforms, hussars really knew how to dress. And the scene where they are retreting from russia was very informative, i never imagined it was so bad, no wonder so many people died. If i have one critisicims of the film its that it left me wanting more, but most good films often leave me like that. Thx for the sugestion.

Im having trouble finding barry lindon, so next up will provabaly be Rob Roy and Queen margot, un less someone higlights any movie.

&feature=PlayList&p=1076DFE3595C5489&index=6

Hi all,

I'm totally in love with this time period and im looking form movies from 18th to mid 19th century. (1700-1860)

Examples would be brotherhood of the wolf, the count of Monte Cristo, sleepy hollow, perfume, from hell, pirates OTC, waterloo, the duchess, master and commander, cyrano de bergerac, alatriste, sweeney todd, the musketeer, etc.

you get the idea, basically anything Victorian era, or sword and musket kinda film , it can be anything from war movie, mystery, comedy, romance. Foreing films are ok as long as i can find them with subs,

thx
Victorian era was from June 1837 through January 1901, the period of Queen Victoria's reign, so that takes in every Western, every Civil War film, and every movie about Jack the Ripper and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde tale. Earlier stories from the 18th century prior to the Victorian period include Drums Along the Mohawk (1939), Northwest Passage (1940), Last of the Mohicans (1936 and 1992)

The Duellists
Barry Lyndon
The Devil's Disciple
Dangerous Liaisons
The Patriot (Mel Gibson)
The Horseman on the Roof
Danton
Love and Death
Queen Margot
Romeo and Juliet ('68)
The Taming of the Shrew
The Three Musketeers/The Four Museteers (Richard Lester)

Some of those are set before 1700, but since you included titles earlier too, I thought these were all OK.
The Devil's Disciple is an especially good choice---adventurous and funny!

I saw the tree musketeers, it was intertaning but a little silly
Check out the much better 1948 film starring Van Heflin, Gene Kelly, June Allyson, Keenan Wynn, Lana Turner, Vincent Price,

Since you like Pirates of the Caribbean, you should hunt down the Errol Flynn swashbucklers--Captain Blood (his first starring role), the Sea Hawks. And for a real trip, check out the early Burt Lancaster film The Crimson Pirate--adventure, comedy, and lots of acrobatics by Lancaster and his former circus partner. More bang for your buck than POtheC.