THE REVENANT
1.72%
1 votes
ROOM
13.79%
8 votes
SPOTLIGHT
58 votes. You may not vote on this poll

This is still a frustrating category. So much uncertainty as to what film will take home the Oscar.
Is it The Revenant, Spotlight, or Mad Max: Fury Road?
The Big Short and The Martian are 4th and 5th in line as possible winners, but that's a long shot.
The remaining nominees are just fillers.

I think Holden made a very good case for the three most likely being Spotlight, The Revenant and The Big Short. Why do you think Mad Max has a better chance than The Big Short?

I think Holden made a very good case for the three most likely being Spotlight, The Revenant and The Big Short. Why do you think Mad Max has a better chance than The Big Short?
Because he really likes Mad Max: Fury Road?

That's really the only reason to think it is going to win. No movie has ever won Best Picture after not winning a Golden Globe, SAG, Producers Guild Award, or Directors Guild Award. Is this movie that people like my Mom wouldn't sit through five minutes of going to be the one that does it? So very unlikely. Or, as fans of Mad Max like to say...

A sure fu*king thing, Mate! Count on it!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm not actually a fan of Mad Max. But the movie has been getting so many accolades and buzz that it might win.
I sat through 30 minutes of it and couldn't take it anymore to be honest with you. I was never really a fan of post-apocalyptic films.

On a sidenote, I don't see how or why Mad Max: Fury Road is up for Best Picture?
Movies like these usually get nominated in the technical categories, but never in the top categories.
I just think that Hollywood feels the sudden need this year to kiss George Miller's ass for some odd reason, and he isn't what I'd call a genius director. An okay director, maybe.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Mad Max: Fury Road is one of the most 'precise' directed films this year.

Suspect's Reviews

I'm not actually a fan of Mad Max. But the movie has been getting so many accolades and buzz that it might win.
I sat through 30 minutes of it and couldn't take it anymore to be honest with you. I was never really a fan of post-apocalyptic films.
You should read Holdens post on the last page. Mad Max hasn't been winning any of the best picture awards.

You should read Holdens post on the last page. Mad Max hasn't been winning any of the best picture awards.
Yes, I have and I know. But even a nomination for Best Picture for a movie of its nature seems odd to me.

Yes, I have and I know. But even a nomination for Best Picture for a movie of its nature seems odd to me.
Huh? An hour ago you thought it was one of only three with a chance of winning, now you fell it was odd it was even nominated?

Huh? An hour ago you thought it was one of only three with a chance of winning, now you fell it was odd it was even nominated?
Maybe you're not understanding me...
It has the chance of winning, I said, but I don't agree with it being nominated in the first place.

Maybe you're not understanding me...
It has the chance of winning, I said, but I don't agree with it being nominated in the first place.
Oh right. I still haven't seen it myself, but i've heard it is a well directed film. I agree it is unusual for a blockbuster to be nominated though.

Master of My Domain
The Oscar folks nominated Fury Road in order to draw interest. Same reason why they nominated Avatar for best picture and increased the number of nominations.

Master of My Domain
I dunno if they operate as a hivemind like that. If they did, you'd think Star Wars: The Force Awakens would do better at achieving that.
Maybe, but I like to believe that they have at least a bit of conscience.

I watched The Martian last night, and it was as lifeless as the planet Mars.

I vote for Carol.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I have to return some videotapes...
I dunno if they operate as a hivemind like that. If they did, you'd think Star Wars: The Force Awakens would do better at achieving that.
Yeah, but well... one of the films is actually good... so that's a factor.

I think that this is a year where there could be a huge upset. I think Spotlight is the most likely to win, but I think The Martian or Bridge of Spies could steal it away.

Honestly, I liked Hateful 8 substantially more than the Revenant. It reminded me a lot of the stage version of And Then There Were None.